Universal Love Michael Voss Tribute Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I realise many have already done this through other threads, but I thought it would be good to get a thread going just for people to pay tribute to Vossy's incredible legacy at the club. When he retired, many thought he'd be back as coach, but now this sadly feels like the full stop to his involvement with the Lions. With that sense of finality, I've written the following.

Vossy, you're the man who made me fall in love with AFL. As a kid growing up in a rugby league state with both parents from rugby league families, it wasn't a sport I had much involvement with until a few circumstances ended with me playing Auskick many years ago now.

As I went through the junior grades of football, all I remember hearing was praise for this revered figure called Vossy. The first ever time I went to the Gabba, as a boy only ten years old, in 2002, I can strongly recall my admiration of seeing how the side battled in every contest on a particularly stormy night. It rained so much that evening that at one stage, everyone in the general admission seating in which we were located retreated to shelter just as my Dad had gone to get some food. When he came back, he noticed me sitting there in the pouring rain still - the only one left. He asked me why I was so stupid, and to this day he's reminded me that my reply was 'Vossy's still out in the rain, why shouldn't I be?'.

I've supported you with everything I have through your playing days and into your coaching days. While many doubted your appointment off no experience, I believed in the Voss magic and thought all would be well. Despite the well publicised drama that followed, you battled your way from a rabble of a club to the most promising list we've had since our premiership years. You instilled character in them that saw more unbelievable comebacks than many fans are lucky enough to witness throughout their entire lives. You gave absolutely everything to the cause and I could not have respected or admired you more for it.

As I see it, you are the Brisbane Lions Football Club. There is no individual who is the perfect embodiment of everything this club should hope to be other than you. The relentless courage you've shown in every contest on field and in every moment off it is unrivalled, as is the pride you've personally had in this club that has subsequently filled each of us.

This was a club created by the merger of two broken identities. From that, you've created a strong club with its own identity that I will support passionately until the day I die.

Your unrelenting drive to succeed is one I will always try to imitate. Your bravery, loyalty, and inspiring passion will be the subject of many stories I tell my children and my grandchildren.

You have achieved remarkable things at this football club and deserve to always be remembered as its favourite child. The club, its reputation, and its fans would simply be nowhere near where we are today if not for you.

Thank you for everything you've given to the Brisbane Lions. Not one single ounce of yourself that you've dedicated to the cause that is this club has ever gone unappreciated, and your legacy will be unmatchable as a result.

All the best with whatever comes next for you. You're a genuine, classy man with great integrity - any fan can see that - and you deserve nothing but the greatest success in your future.

It's hard to believe this is the end of your time at the club, but your contributions will be forever remembered. Thanks for making this club what it is today. The extent to which you've done that should never be understated.

I must admit I got a tad teary reading that. Its a sad day when an icon of your footy club leaves for the forseeable future. One can only hope that one day down the track we see him on our board or something similar. Well said PattyKisagun

They'll make a mod of you yet;)

I felt similarly PKIAG. Thankyou for making the thread.

I... ah. I'm not taking it real well at the moment. And there's only 1 way I felt that I could express myself. A bit scratchy, but the man deserved better. Much better.

I... ah. I'm not taking it real well at the moment. And there's only 1 way I felt that I could express myself. A bit scratchy, but the man deserved better. Much better.

Wish I could up-vote this twice.

One for Vossy and the other for Lana Del Rey :hearts: .

Wish I could up-vote this twice.

One for Vossy and the other for Lana Del Rey :hearts: .

I would up-vote it twice for the vision, less so for the audio :p Great work GG.

Simply not enough words to express my gratitude, admiration and universal love for Michael Voss, who he is, what he stands for, what he's given us, what he's done for us, what he's been through for us.

Thank you Michael from the bottom of my heart. :hearts::thumbsu:

All you need to do is watch his press conference to see what a fearless leader and gentleman he is. As if he didn't have enough respect already, the dignified way in which he has departed the club has only boosted his already 'king like' reputation.

Its going to be hard to watching him pull on another clubs polo, but I think its a fact we have to face.

My 2 favourite Voss moments are the grandfinal 'Burns' incident, especially with Brissel commentating, and when he kicked a goal from 75 meters out on the wing at the Gabba that day.

One of the very best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah GG you made me cry again.
My tribute to Michael is simple.
When I heard the news ,I felt like someone had hurt one of my kids.
He has been a hero to me from when he was that 16 year old kid.
Aways has been and always will be my favourite Lion/Bear.
You deserved better,much, much better.:hearts:

Just superb. Getting that response from Voss must have felt good GG.

Yep.

Felt like a deadset fanboy, but to get a positive response from him on it is surreal. :thumbsu:

Many thanks to those that have tweeted/retweeted positive responses - the man deserves it.

If there was ever to be a Grand Final played between the games greatest in the after world - you may have just 'won' yourself a ticket to it with that video GG. :thumbsu:

And with all due respect to MV - I'd have someone else coach the teams - rather see Michael play in it. :hearts:#3

I can't remember the game (maybe a Port prelim?) but Vossy made a play that sent the crowd into a frenzy and a massive Vossy chant went up around the Gabba.

It was a chant to end all chants. It was incredible.

Yep, we certainly are all of differing thoughts – some seem to reflect a rabble of moths searching for guidance by boisterously banging in a chaotic scattering headlong into the lighthouse of guidance that is bigfooty forums – gotta love their passion – all the way up/[down] the scale (depending on where you stand) to our ‘brother Tony’, seemingly the long-lost black sheep of the family… being a well known fence sitter happy to confirm I sit somewhere in between.

Having said all that – I’m still experiencing moments of confusion/frustration/sadness and numbness… For me – music soothes my soul – so if I promise not to point and laugh at some peoples verbal foot-stomping reactions, reciprocally can you not point and laugh at this old roughed, scuffed and tuft bloke as he tearfully reboots the heart, soul and mind as I seek corrective direction by sitting through a couple more watches of GG’s brilliantly compiled clip mixed, the below youtube and a replay of last nights second quarter against the Giants in readiness for the next chapter of the Lions.

The Sound of Silence by singer-songwriter duo Simon & Garfunkel was apparently penned in February 1964 by Paul Simon several months after the November 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy
And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more.
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening,
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.

Fools said I,You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows.
Hear my words that I might teach you,
Take my arms that I might reach you.
But my words like silent raindrops fell,