Analysis Mid season: Best 22 for Premiership Success

Remove this Banner Ad

LT is a lock in our best team!

Provided he doesn't go missing.. still playing CAMEO role IMHO. I love his endeavour so don't get me wrong.. I left him out of 'my listed Best 22' based on his 2016 form. Just floats with bursts without being in discussions of the weekly B.O.G. class of players. He should be doing a lot better. KICKING GOALS is his job not missing them.

Look at his stats this year:
116 disposals from 10 games for a underwhelming 14 goal 15 behinds output.
DOWN 48% from career best of 2013 output numbers

7 goal assists with 8 one percenters.
DOWN 66% from career best of 2014 output numbers
DOWN 73% on 'one percenters' of 2014 career best numbers

32 tackles.
ON PAR to equal 2011 & 2012 best output numbers

11 frees for: 15 frees against.
DOWN 66% from career best of 2013

19 marks inside 50 this year is the only stat that has him holding his spot which betters his 2013 career best projection (29).

Last edited:
Locks: Goldy, Taz, Boomer, JZ, Cunners, Spitta, Wellsy, Waite, JMac, Thommo, Higgo, Jacobs

Safe for Now: NDS, Petrie, LT, Atley, Gibbo, Spud, LMac, Brown

Fighting for Spot: Anderson, Garner, Mullett, Wood, Daw, BMac, Turner, Hansen, (Black)

Good Depth: Nahas, Ray, Tippett

Ready to Debut: Clarke, Wagner, Fordham

Doing Apprenticeships: Durdin, EVW, Nielsen, Hibberd, Preuss, McKay, Mountford

The Locks would only be out of the side for injury or suspension, but I reckon there are a few who are safe, but would be under pressure if they string too many bad games together. And we have eight or nine players who are AFL quality, plus 3 depth players, which basically gives us a list of 32 players who would be able to stand up to finals footy. By my take, we have already played 30 of them and all have done their bit. We are very well placed for depth at the moment.

Locks: Goldy, Taz, Boomer, JZ, Cunners, Spitta, Wellsy, Waite, JMac, Thommo, Higgo, Jacobs

Safe for Now: NDS, Petrie, LT, Atley, Gibbo, Spud, LMac, Brown

Fighting for Spot: Anderson, Garner, Mullett, Wood, Daw, BMac, Turner, Hansen, (Black)

Good Depth: Nahas, Ray, Tippett

Ready to Debut: Clarke, Wagner, Fordham

Doing Apprenticeships: Durdin, EVW, Nielsen, Hibberd, Preuss, McKay, Mountford

The Locks would only be out of the side for injury or suspension, but I reckon there are a few who are safe, but would be under pressure if they string too many bad games together. And we have eight or nine players who are AFL quality, plus 3 depth players, which basically gives us a list of 32 players who would be able to stand up to finals footy. By my take, we have already played 30 of them and all have done their bit. We are very well placed for depth at the moment.

first time I have seen Fordham's name this year, I thought he had fallen out of favour?

I would love to be heading into round 20 with this team, giving them 3 weeks to gel.

FB: Firitto - Tarrant - MacMillan
HB: Atley - Thompson - McDonald
C: Higgins - Cunnington - Anderson
HF: Harvey - Brown - Thomas
FF: Ziebell - Waite - Wood
R: Goldstein - Dal Santo - Wells
I/C: Swallow - Daw - Garner - Jacobs

Em: Petrie - Dumont - McKenzie

I would love to be heading into round 20 with this team, giving them 3 weeks to gel.

I don't know where to start...

I don't know where to start...

Teams would be shitting themselves at the thought of playing that team. Not only smashed on the scoreboard, but physically intimidated.

OK, so a few fan faves get the chop, but reality is, it sets us up for a 3-peat as it includes future planning.

The only 3 contentious calls are on Petrie, Gibson and Wright.

Not enough gibbo.

Ben Brown has 20 goals and mostly kicks them when the game is up for grabs. Sorry Majak but you're a depth player at this point in time mate.

Wright - Tarrant - LMcDonald
Firrito - Thompson - DalSanto
MacMillan - Swallow - Wells
Higgins - Petrie - Garner
Waite - Brown - Harvey

Goldstein - Ziebull - Cunnington

Wood - Jacobs - Thomas - Gibson/Atley/Hansen/Daw depending on opposition

Nice to have the selection dilemma.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Brown has 20 goals and mostly kicks them when the game is up for grabs. Sorry Majak but you're a depth player at this point in time mate.

Wright - Tarrant - LMcDonald
Firrito - Thompson - DalSanto
MacMillan - Swallow - Wells
Higgins - Petrie - Garner
Waite - Brown - Harvey

Goldstein - Ziebull - Cunnington

Wood - Jacobs - Thomas - Gibson/Atley/Hansen/Daw depending on opposition

Nice to have the selection dilemma.

so not only does Brown make Drew and Waite play better but now he kicks goals at better times in the game.

so not only does Brown make Drew and Waite play better but now he kicks goals at better times in the game.

Well don't you want a player who kicks goals when the game is on the line rather than in junk time?
I consider that a pretty big attribute for a forward.

E.g. Josh Kennedy is higher in the race for the Coleman, but a lot of his goals are against minnows when WCE are already 5+ goals in front. He goes a bit quiet when the heat is on though.

Well don't you want a player who kicks goals when the game is on the line rather than in junk time?
I consider that a pretty big attribute for a forward.

E.g. Josh Kennedy is higher in the race for the Coleman, but a lot of his goals are against minnows when WCE are already 5+ goals in front. He goes a bit quiet when the heat is on though.

Your reasoning is fine but I'm not sure that Daw suffers in comparison in the kicking goals when it matters stakes. He's kicked all of his when it mattered this year.

I posted this in the changes thread, while I'm not sold on Brown as a ruck, I've come to terms with Brown being ahead of Daw. I don't necessarily agree but not much I can do about it...

I've got Drew out of the side :(

Wood is a mobile 193cm lump of a lad. Dermie played CHF at 186cm. Wood while not as tall as others has the ability to enter a marking contest from the side and take it. Very strong overhead.

With Waite and Brown as our two big fella's having a more nimble type as the third option for me is a much better setup. I think we'll be at our very best with Goldie, Higgins, Jacobs and one of Turner, Anderson or Garner. A great team balance.

For that to happen Nahas, McKenzie, Daw :( and ??? need to make way. With Wright's injury McKenzie will probably get another chance, imo against the tigers his game was as bad as I've seen at AFL level. Disappointed I was".

With the above inclusions, we'll be *en hard to beat imo.

Provided he doesn't go missing.. still playing CAMEO role IMHO. I love his endeavour so don't get me wrong.. I left him out of 'my listed Best 22' based on his 2016 form. Just floats with bursts without being in discussions of the weekly B.O.G. class of players. He should be doing a lot better. KICKING GOALS is his job not missing them.

Look at his stats this year:
116 disposals from 10 games for a underwhelming 14 goal 15 behinds output.
DOWN 48% from career best of 2013 output numbers

7 goal assists with 8 one percenters.
DOWN 66% from career best of 2014 output numbers
DOWN 73% on 'one percenters' of 2014 career best numbers

32 tackles.
ON PAR to equal 2011 & 2012 best output numbers

11 frees for: 15 frees against.
DOWN 66% from career best of 2013

19 marks inside 50 this year is the only stat that has him holding his spot which betters his 2013 career best projection (29).
I don't think u can take to much from them numbers and I'll tell u why.

We don't rely on L.T and even Drew like we did back then, Brown,Waite, Higgins and Garner(when fit) Also throw in Wood and our forward line is totally different and has a different dynamic.
L.T's role has changed abit just as Drew's has. But if L.T is doing the job asked of him by Brad then that's all that matters.
But we have got alot of injured smalls who will be knocking on the door also so it will come down to who is fit and playing well at the bussiness end i suppose...

LT still seems to be the only one kicking goals when the rest of them are playing like poo - i.e. Sydney.

An important member of the team who is a bit different to Higgins/Garner etc. Makes defenders (and supporters) a bit unsure.

That wasn't how I read Rooboy's post. I agree with your post though.

yeah you were right too, I was laughing at another reason why Brown is better then Daw.

Daw has played 2 games this year for 3.3 and one game he played predominantly as a ruck
Brown has kick 20.9 from 11 games all mainly as a forward.

Daw's stats if he had played 11 games working on his current averages, 16.5 goals 16.5 behinds 4 more shots then Brown.

but Brown's goals were kicked at more important times, yeah I am still laughing. ;)

the boys are very even and all looks good after Drew is gone.:thumbsu: BBB really does not need bullshit reasons for why he should be in the team. We should be rotating all our key forwards through the team, resting Drew, Waite and Brown twice before the finals, Giving Daw and Wood a chance to strut their stuff.

Last edited:
yeah you were right too, I was laughing at another reason why Brown is better then Daw.

Daw has played 2 games this year for 3.3 and one game he played predominantly as a ruck
Brown has kick 20.9 from 11 games all mainly as a forward.

Daw's stats if he had played 11 games working on his current averages, 16.5 goals 16.5 behinds 4 more shots then Brown.

but Brown's goals were kicked at more important times, yeah I am still laughing. ;)

the boys are very even and all looks good after Drew is gone.:thumbsu: BBB really does not need bullshit reasons for why he should be in the team. We should be rotating all our key forwards through the team, resting Drew, Waite and Brown twice before the finals, Giving Daw and Wood a chance to strut their stuff.

I don't think it is a bullshit reason.
In the games I've watched this year, Brown has kicked goals in Q1 and Q2 before fading out.

I'd definitely have Brown over Daw in the forward line.

Although Daw provides more in the ruck in reality with Goldy in the side he would only be rucking for max 10% TOG, that means he has to spend the majority of the game up forward where in my opinion Brown has him covered.

We underestimate how well Brown works with Drew and Waitey, they know how to play with each other and for each other.

Ps. Brown's handles below his knees and his field kicking s**t's all over Majak's.

Not a bad team and i appreciate the effort and explanations. People will always disagree and and reckon come finals time the debate will be fierce at the selection table.

FWIW

Brown will play in front of Daw. Daw gets lost on the footy field, sure he has good moments and maybe he is better in the ruck but Brown works better with the other forwards, is super at ground level and his field kicking is on point.

LT is an interesting one. I think he will be selected before Garner, Turner or Anderson and while I personally would love to see him drop the BS from his game and just focus on the footy, when he is up he is quality. Type of player who could do something special GF day. Glenn Freeborn anyone?

MacKenzie wont be picked unless there is a mass of injuries. Its great getting games into him now as i think he will be a very good player for us but dont think he will have the temperament for the pressure of a GF yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back