Autopsy Mid-season Review/Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought this might give us an opportunity to look back at the first half of the season. What we've done right, what we've done wrong and where things might end up by round 24.

I think we are in quite a good position considering we haven't put together a full game except against the pies where the only negative was our shots at goal. We still don't seem to have decided on a best 22 but Goody has at least started making some adjustments (particularly up forward, yes some out of necessity) but at least players like Smith are being tried and has shown some positive signs. Also, the scope for improvement from a couple of best 22 players and inclusion injured ones bodes well if Goody can settle on the right mix by end of season.

Which players need to maintain the status quo? Who needs to lift? Who will make up the best 22 by end of H&A season?

After seeing the game Monday I am glass half full again.

Anyway, don't want to put everything down.

I was a tad worried during the first half of the season that we were basically the 2022 version of ourselves albeit fitter (running out games better this year). But last 2 weeks I think we’re going in the right direction, particular the coll game. The win had a lot of 2021 characteristics.

We fell 3 goals behind but didn’t panic, we slowed the tempo of the game down, got it back on our terms and went on with it.

We gave intense defensive pressure all over the ground, and didn't just rely on structures to get by.

Even though the game was always close, I had those 2021 feelings that we were in control, not those 2022 feelings of waiting for teams to overrun us.

It’s like we forgot for 18 months that we are not a team who needs to move the ball a hundred miles an hour every single time we get it - basically every midfielder running 10 metres and bombing it as far as they can no matter the state of the game.

Sure there’s times to move the ball fast, but we look so much better when we can slow things down if the game isn’t running our way instead of trying to fight fire with fire.

Fingers crossed we don’t stuff things up with crazy goody team selections in the coming weeks.

Just do what we did on QB another 13 times and everything will be fine

No it won't.

On King's Birthday we kicked for goal at less than half our accuracy average from rounds one to seven.

Rounds 1-7: 63.7%
King's Birthday: 31%

For reference, we have been going down hill every week for 5 weeks.

Rounds 8-14: 45.4%

Our forward efficiency absolutely relies on our goal kicking accuracy. We need to get this tracking back in the right direction.

*Based on goals and behinds only.

From the last 28 games we’ve played we have lost 13.

We are a genuine mid tier outfit right now.

A lot will need to change re goal kicking, effort, urgency and ******* desire in order for us to get anywhere near a second flag in three years. The most frustrating thing is that we absolutely can do it but we are not playing holistically nor improving our deficiencies.

I feel like we need a line in the sand moment with the theme being ‘what do you we want 2023 to look like after the GF?’

are Langdon and Brayshaw the consensus for most dissapointing this year? Langdon looks scared out there and Brayshaw is fat and lazy.

Brayshaw by a country mile.

Langdon has been disappointing and soft at times, but has still had a few decent games.

Brayshaw has just been pus all year. Offers absolutely nothing. Always trailing behind the oppo and shanking his kicks. He's ******* useless.

are Langdon and Brayshaw the consensus for most dissapointing this year? Langdon looks scared out there and Brayshaw is fat and lazy.

Langdon is a victim of us now having Hunter as well as our slow stodgy game style this year.

Gus is just a nothing footballer now. Lazy is a good word for him in every way, including his disposal.

In saying that, my expectations for Gus were already low, so I wouldn't say he's my most disappointing, tbh at this stage that would probably go to Gawn. The skip has lost all leg speed, kicking for goal is worse than ever, dropping marks, tapping it straight in front of him and seems to lead the team in the umpire complaining. In terms of performance v expectation he's the main one for me.

The year so far from my perspective:
-Lost to my most hated team, Essendon
  • Lost to my 2nd most hated team, Geelong
  • Lost to Dogga & his Death Ridden Dockers.
  • Only player to have improved on last year at AFL level is Rivers.
  • Most best 22 players from last year have either stagnated or in most cases gone backwards (some alarmingly so)
  • Not unlikely we finish this round on the same amount of wins as St Kilda and Essendon.
  • Playing a brand of unattractive, outdated football.
  • Only game I've enjoyed watching was Big Freeze.

Overall rating 3/10.

May - looks to have lost a yard and is pretty s**t when the ball hits the ground

JVR - a potential star but is unsuited to our horrible forward delivery

Salem - has actually played quite well but his auto-selection after a long lay off is symptomatic of poor selection integrity

Harmes - just a shadow, clearly not one of Goody’s boys.

Petracca - had a pretty good year but his use of the ball is mind bogglingly bad too frequently.

Grundy - solid but not spectacular. Didn’t realise he was quite so weak in marking contests.

Viney - probably our best performer after a poor start to the year.

Lever - pretty average season. A fair way below 21’s form.

Spargo - I like him but he’s been quite poor this year and our game plan does him no favours

Brayshaw - basically can only play half back because he’s a gd liability everywhere else

Gawn - his marking seems to have fallen off a cliff and he remains a very average forward

Hunter - one of a few shining lights. A clever, tough little bugger that has settled in well on the wing

Oliver - a solid year but like Petracca it feels as though he could be so much better

Hibberd - a really solid year, probably still the best small defensive stopper on the list

Langdon - a long way off 2021 form and has looked timid out there at times

Laurie - barely had a chance but doesn’t look a better option than an underwhelming Spargo

Bowey - good little player but he’s at risk of not having a role if the coaches don’t push him further up the ground

Melksham - a good servant who is clearly a coach favourite. About 3 years past his use by.

Schache - trading Weid out and him in was deck chairs on the Titanic.

Tomlinson - a few good games and a couple of poor ones. Unlucky to be dropped for Petty against Geelong.

Jordon - in a side with 642 inside mids, he is surplus to requirements

Rivers - one of the most improved. But like umpteen others he can put a ball into orbit

McDonald - cooked with a turning circle like the Queen Mary

Smith - has played a role up forward but remains a fringe option

ANB - slightly better season than Spargo

Fritsch - in terrible form. Still kicks his 2 or 3 but it’s more by default than design

Sparrow - struggles when Oliver plays a 6/10 sort of year

Petty - terrible start to the season in defence, swung forward with mixed results

Pickett - outstanding Round 1, been poor since.

Chandler - has slowed after a terrific start

McVee - a shining light this season

Turner - one game with a really bad match up

Brown - started ok but looks cooked in the VFL

Last edited:
May - looks to have lost a yard and is pretty s**t when the ball hits the ground

JVR - a potential star but is unsuited to our horrible forward delivery

Salem - has actually played quite well but his auto-selection after a long lay off is symptomatic of poor selection integrity

Harmes - just a shadow, clearly not one of Goody’s boys.

Petracca - had a pretty good year but his use of the ball is mind bogglingly bad too frequently.

Grundy - solid but not spectacular. Didn’t realise he was quite so weak in marking contests.

Viney - probably our best performer after a poor start to the year.

Lever - pretty average season. A fair way below 21’s form.

Spargo - I like him but he’s been quite poor this year and our game plan does him no favours

Brayshaw - basically can only play half back because he’s a gd liability everywhere else

Gawn - his marking seems to have fallen off a cliff and he remains a very average forward

Hunter - one of a few shining lights. A clever, tough little bugger that has settled in well on the wing

Oliver - a solid year but like Petracca it feels as though he could be so much better

Hibberd - a really solid year, probably still the best small defensive stopper on the list

Langdon - a long way off 2021 form and has looked timid out there at times

Laurie - barely had a chance but doesn’t look a better option than an underwhelming Spargo

Bowey - good little player but he’s at risk of not having a role if the coaches don’t push him further up the ground

Melksham - a good servant who is clearly a coach favourite. About 3 years past his use by.

Schache - trading Weid out and him in was deck chairs on the Titanic.

Tomlinson - a few good games and a couple of poor ones. Unlucky to be dropped for Petty against Geelong.

Jordon - in a side with 642 inside mids, he is surplus to requirements

Rivers - one of the most improved. But like umpteen others he can put a ball into orbit

McDonald - cooked with a turning circle like the Queen Mary

Smith - has played a role up forward but remains a fringe option

ANB - slightly better season than Spargo

Sparrow - struggles when Oliver plays a 6/10 sort of year

Petty - terrible start to the season in defence, swung forward with mixed results

Pickett - outstanding Round 1, been poor since.

Chandler - has slowed after a terrific start

McVee - a shining light this season

Turner - one game with a really bad match up

Brown - started ok but looks cooked in the VFL
Good analysis, I agree with most of it.

I probably should take this to the JVR thread but just wanted to elaborate on your point - I really like the guy but I'm starting to question is he going to be a star? He is barely sighted most games and seems to be in the wrong spots all the time. Now I assume most of this is because he is still learning, has no other big bodies around him to take the heat, and has the most atrocious delivery. I dunno, jury is still out for me.

Good analysis, I agree with most of it.

I probably should take this to the JVR thread but just wanted to elaborate on your point - I really like the guy but I'm starting to question is he going to be a star? He is barely sighted most games and seems to be in the wrong spots all the time. Now I assume most of this is because he is still learning, has no other big bodies around him to take the heat, and has the most atrocious delivery. I dunno, jury is still out for me.

He is absolutely A grade material, we are holding him back. Put him in Collingwood, Brisbane or Port and he'd be one of the favourites for the rising star.

You could put prime Lockett in our forward line right now he'd be struggling to kick 60 goals for the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is absolutely A grade material, we are holding him back. Put him in Collingwood, Brisbane or Port and he'd be one of the favourites for the rising star.

You could put prime Lockett in our forward line right now he'd be struggling to kick 60 goals for the season.
The way we kick it we should just tie max gawns corpse to a cross 25m out directly infront and kick it to him. Would be just as effective as what we do now

Max Gawn in the forward line is just a terrible idea. Yes he kicked 5 in a prelim. But, the idea that he can be a key forward based on that is like some yahoo winning $300 at the pokies and then deciding to become a professional gambler.

Max Gawn in the forward line is just a terrible idea. Yes he kicked 5 in a prelim. But, the idea that he can be a key forward based on that is like some yahoo winning $300 at the pokies and then deciding to become a professional gambler.

I swear hes half the reason nobody leads, follow what the captain does which is stand there with your arm in the air.

Yeah I get why people are questioning him but he is a special talent. He has just turned 20 and is in his 2nd year, he is still a baby.

I respectfully disagree. Happy for you to elaborate and myself to counter elaborate or we can leave it there.

Sure.
McKay in his 2nd year 21.11 from 13 games
Curnow 20.12 from 21 games
Hawkins 13.5 from 10 games
JVR 16.4 from 11 games

All the guys I've compared him to played AFL footy in their first season, JVR didn't get a game. He has shown he can take contested marks, is solid at ground level, a good kick for goal and has that competitive mindset a lot of KPFs these days lack.

What do you expect him to have shown by now?

Sure.
JVR 16.4 from 11 games

All the guys I've compared him to played AFL footy in their first season, JVR didn't get a game. He has shown he can take contested marks, is solid at ground level, a good kick for goal and has that competitive mindset a lot of KPFs these days lack.

Fair comparisons. I didn't realise he had kicked 16, that's not too shabby. Just out of interest, what was Hogan's stats?

I honestly don't know what I expect. I'm just frustrated with this side and projecting it onto JVR and others. As I said before, I'm worried we are wasting his and other's talent.

I'm happy to concede here. I do feel that he goes missing a lot for a key forward but as you and others point out, it is only his second year.

Sure.
JVR 16.4 from 11 games

Not like JVR has got any cheap goals like some Joe the gooses either, his teammates rarely even give him any easy ones on the lead to help build his confidence, I reckon 95% of his goals hes had to work for himself, I can bet you that isn't the case with any other the other guys you've mentioned.

I reserve judgment on all of our forwards until we get some people capable of kicking the ball inside 50 without putting it into orbit and get a non dunderheaded coaching panel that teach them adequate spacing and leading patterns. Also get Max Gawn tf out of there…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back