Mid Season review

Who has been the 3 players that have exceeded your expectations?

• Sholl

• Schoenberg

• Hamill

• Mcpherson

• Walker

• Thilthorpe

• Rowe

• Keays

• Butts

• Mchenry

• FOG

• Doedee

• Kelly

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bazz_27

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LFC,
The halfway point of the year (11 games) so a good time to review the year so far, acknowledge the players that have exceeded expectations and those that haven't.

Matthew Nicks game style is developing and our results so far this year are probably above what most people expected, 4 wins and 15th after losing games against Freo & hawks we should/ could have won is a great season to date, Giants is the only terrible effort we have put in all year.

The structure in recent weeks has changed in the forward line and we are seeing the benefit of that with improved performances. Obviously having Sloane back in has helped our mids as well who were well and truly under the pump without him in there. Down back we have played with the KPD structure a bit with Murray being the yoyo and Fish biding his time in the SANFL. Doedee isn't a 2nd KPD and we have realised that although he could be better than the current alternatives.

Players that have had great seasons that exceeded my expectations:
Sholl - although he has had a quite last 2 weeks he has been great this year, hopefully he can finish the year off strong
Thilthorpe - We all hoped he would be playing well and after missing the first few games it seemed he was destined for SANFL footy for the year, averaging 2 goals a game and playing that 2nd ruck role better than the other 2...
Butts - I'm sure we were all worried when Talia was injured with a young team, but Butts has stood up and played well on some of the games best Forwards. Will be great to see him play with Talia when he potentially plays more intercepting.
Schoenberg - seems to be more confident he belongs than last year, clearances, great kicking skills and really excited to see him build into one of our best mids
Tex- Just going great and plenty need to admit they were wrong to question him
Rowe- Thought he would get a few games without being a regular in the team, has cemented his spot IMO

Players that haven't delivered what i expected:
Mcadam- just seems lost this year, not really impacting games and with no pressure on him he is just getting games..
Frampton / Himmelberg - Just not sure what to say on these guys, had an opportunity there for them and 18 year old has shown more than either have their entire careers
Jones- I love the kid and that game he =played against the dogs a few years back filled me with excitement but he hasn't been at that level ever since, has the tools in DE and pace but the jury is out on whether this move to the backline will be a career saver
ROB- up until last game he hasn't been up to his standards of 2020, we really need a good ruckman with our mids, he hasn't been that this year.

I'm sure I have missed a few so let me know your thoughts

Tex, Thilthorpe, Butts and Berry have all exceeded my expectations.

Ned and Schoenberg are improving steadily, while Sholl started the year brilliantly but is starting to worry me with his disposal under pressure.

ROB, McPherson, McAdam, Hamill and Himmelberg have all been disappointing. Smith has been underwhelming too for the most part.

Yeah, I'm about the same as you in terms of players and expectations. As far as the kids go...

Thilthorpe very exciting, Rowe has done more than I expected though obviously very inconsistent, Butts has held up alright as No. 1 KPD, McHenry showing some promise.

Big one you missed is Berry. Very tough at it, and he's learned to kick goals of late. I'm sure more possessions will come with time (and more midfield time, which will come with better fitness).

Sholl's had a few down weeks, whether that just be because he's an outside player or he's run out of puff, but we've had some very exciting glimpses. Schoenberg also a bit up and down, but seems like a solid long-term midfield option.

Murph was having some impact at stoppages prior to his injury, and always has endeavour. Disposal remains a downside (though this is seemingly true of all our first string midfielders, so...).

Fog is managing to impact the scoreboard, but it would be good to see him impact the game more consistently. Hopefully the first quarter v WCE presages the future in this regard.

Hamill and McPherson probably down a bit after being very impressive last year. Confident both will come good.

Doedee was slaughtered for a while by our insistence on playing him as an undersized second KPD.

ROB pretty poor. Hopefully turned a corner with the Rich game.

Murray shaky. Does the odd alright thing, and then... Exemplified by his last two games, where's he's had one good quarter and three... less good quarters. Though lack of support in our pretty inexperienced defence perhaps a factor. Is he just plugging a hole until(/if?) McAsey develops?

ROC didn't look entirely out of place in his one game. Might get another look at him with Berry's concussion.

Hinge also looked okay in the half game we saw of him.

Hately a bit of a disappointment.

Jones may have found a niche at half-back, though I know the last game wasn't the best. Given the depths his career has plunged to, perhaps I'm just clinging tightly to a tiny sliver of hope.

McAdam has been largely anonymous, with nadirs against Freo and Rich, though occasionally cameos with some goals. Is only clinging to his spot in the side because of our lack of small forward depth (accentuated by Murph's injury).

Frampton and Berg both terrible. Glad we've finally decided we're not obligated to play one of them as a 2nd Ruck.

As for the seniors, Tex and Seedsman probably the big surprises. Keays has terrific endeavour, I just wish he knew how to kick. Laird in a similar boat as far as kicking is concerned. Really need to acquire some midfielders with class and composure.

Our captain has been... not great, for the most part. How forgiving can we be on account of the eye thing?

Our more experienced heads in defence somewhat unimpressive. Smith perhaps a bit down on his best, though still has had some good moments. Brown barely sighted. Kelly remains Kelly, though has shown glimpses of uncharacteristic dare. Surely we can find a spot to give Worrell a taste?

Mackay and THE CONNECTOR should piss off forever. And no, I don't care that Mackay ''wasn't among our five worst.'' Giving games to a 32 year old who has never ascended beyond mediocrity is stupid in a rebuild. An experienced player doesn't add anything to the side when their primary experience is in lacing out the opposition when kicking inside 50.

I’d already forgotten Lynch was on our list

Hately invisible

Pedlar still waiting

...are Talia and Mrouch now surplus?

Crouch yes, Talia no.

We already have accumulators through the midfield who are not damaging by foot. Laird, Keays. We don’t need to add another to the mix. A starting midfield of Laird, Keays and Crouch is just a recipe for disaster.

Talia on the other hand if he can get over this injury could be a solid player for us still, and at the very least a great sounding board for guys like Butts, Murray and McAsey. If Talia was playing right now you could almost guarantee guys like Koschitzke and CCJ wouldn’t be kicking bags of goals on us.

Can I add our gameplan (even though it is a work in progress) to the 'exceeds expectations' pile?

Gone is the slow, stagnant movement from yesteryear. When we're on, we score quickly and play an entertaining style of footy.

Under heavy pressure we either overpossess it or blindly bomb to no one, but that is hopefully something that improves over time. We're definitely still short a couple of midfielders with good decision making and footskills.

Can I add our gameplan (even though it is a work in progress) to the 'exceeds expectations' pile?

Gone is the slow, stagnant movement from yesteryear. When we're on, we score quickly and play an entertaining style of footy.

Under heavy pressure we either overpossess it or blindly bomb to no one, but that is hopefully something that improves over time. We're definitely still short a couple of midfielders with good decision making and footskills.

agreed, you can definitely see the elite-class sized hole in our midfield

Went McHenry, Butts, Walker.

McHenry has played better than I thought he could and become an integral cog.

Butts has done a great job week in week out ... prob except yesterday.

Tex has surprised everyone this year.

Tex, Thilthorpe, Butts and Berry have all exceeded my expectations.

Ned and Schoenberg are improving steadily, while Sholl started the year brilliantly but is starting to worry me with his disposal under pressure.

ROB, McPherson, McAdam, Hamill and Himmelberg have all been disappointing. Smith has been underwhelming too for the most part.
Nailed the 4 who have exceeded expectations... & i would add Seedsman & Keays too.

Smith has been great in some games, having a purple patch for a month... so overall he is has been ok. Reckon Hamill has been solid too.

Would add Hately to the disappointing list as there has been an opportunity but he has failed to take it.

my random 2021 thoughts:

• In general a slight improvement over 2020, but only in a way that raises more questions. The squad on paper is weaker than last years, but usually more competitive. This just makes me wonder why the team was so appalling for much of last year.
  • Nicks is treading water just above "should be permitted to see out his contract" levels for me.
  • I don't know if Sholl in general has exceeded expectations, he pretty much picked up where he left off last year. In individual games though I often not some weird quirk/flaw (normally positioning/awareness) that I think will be the ruin of him, but then he just proceeds to get ~22 quality possessions anyway. Well until this week anyway.
  • Somebody desperately needs to tell Rowe he isn't the captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the club has exceeded every expectation I had for this year within the first 11 rounds. That said I thought we'd end up 0-11 at this point due to us being garbage last year and actively got worse over the offseason. End result was 3-19.

Two major scalps in Geelong, Melbourne whilst rocking one of the most inexperienced (and youngest) lineups in the league. Our prospect pool is certainly becoming intriguing. Filthy looks like he'll be a star key forward. Schoenberg, Sholl and Butts are really building nicely into key contributors. I wouldn't sleep on Berry either at this point as someone who could join that group. Structurally we look well drilled and well coached as well at the moment. Tex playing fantastic football is helping.

Negatives are that Hately hasn't lived up to expectations, Himmelberg and McAdam have fallen down a hole, we're still playing Mackay, and the loss to Hawthorn stings a bit. That said, I don't have many at the moment.

7 wins is par now for me as my expectations leading into the 2nd half of the year.

Last edited:
As much as you want to spend a mid season review talking about the kids, the game plan and the team cohesiveness. For me the brightest star this year has been the resurgence of the TEXAN, and its not even close. At this point, you would have to say he's playing career best footy (I certainly cannot remember a better 10 game stretch).

I've loved every damn minute of his season so far, and regardless of who we are playing, I look forward to the weekend so I can watch Tex do it all over again!

My mid-year review:

Players:

Chayce Jones: Looked done early this season. Lacked confidence and couldn't find the ball. Played across half back in SANFL and suddenly found his attacking side. Return to AFL has been somewhere between ok and promising. Still has a way to go, but some signs at least.

Ben Keays: Always gives 100%. Amazing work ethic. Ultimately is a limited footballer though. A solid B grader that is useful at this stage of the rebuild, but ultimately should be forced out by more talented players

Fisher McAsey: Struggling in SANFL. Had a tough start to the year and this carried over in to games. Seems unsure whether he should be the attacking, marking defender (his more natural game) or the lock down defender. Just has to find his role. Still has time on his side.

Lachlan Murphy: Meh. Same as usual until injured.

Matt Crouch: Injured all year. Should be traded at end of year if possible.

Jackson Hately: Disappointing so far. Lacks intensity, is very slow and has poor kicking skills. Is accumulating at SANFL level, but has no impact on the game. I don't see what his role at AFL level is.

Riley Thilthorpe: Nothing but love. Might not be getting lots of the ball in every game, but still has an impact. Footy IQ is great. More mobile than he has rights to be. Impacts when in the ruck. Just a future superstar.

Jake Kelly: Solid as usual. Does his job, but has reached his peak. Should have made way for a younger player by now, but coaches love him.

Rory Sloane: Pre-season I thought he was fully cooked. No running power, no speed left. Just before the eye injury, it looked like he had re-discovered some form, but it hasn't re-appeared since. Occasionally has a few good minutes, but shouldn't be playing midfield anymore. Needs to find a new role.

Luke Pedlar: Injury hit and so is building slowly into the season. Looks good when he gets going. High hopes for him to make an impact late season to 2022.

Paul Seedsman: Proving us all wrong. Playing a great year and could easily be leading our B&F right now.

Daniel Talia: Injured. Won't play this year. Next year is questionable.

Taylor Walker: Amazing revival this year. Has found more agility and drive and is playing exceptional football.

David Mackay: Continues his stellar career with his consistent 12 possession games. Continues to provide comedy value and it seems he continues to hold the photos.

Brayden Cook: Late start to the season. Has been a huge learning curve for him so far. Struggling at SANFL level right now. Is a longer term prospect.

Luke Brown: Somehow still underrated. Just a great player. The end is coming though.

Will Hamill: Started ok, but has faded. Provides some run and dash, but needs to tidy up his kicking.

Mitchell Hinge: Blink and you'll miss it. I assume we will see what he has to offer next year.

Sam Berry: Really impressive year. Tough and consistent. Has a great go, is getting more of the ball and looks more settled with ball in hand. One of the finds of the season.

Billy Frampton: Great at SANFL, nothing at AFL. Back up at best.

Shane McAdam: Most disappointing player this year. Lack of effort has been an issue. Wants to stand behind his player all the time. Needs to start leading, and then leading some more.

Josh Worrell: Impressive SANFL season. KPD height, but agility to play on much smaller players. Deserves a chance at AFL level, but is stuck behind superstar Jake Kelly.

Ned McHenry: Really impressive year. Works hard, tackles exceptionally well, and is much more confident with ball in hand. Looks a very handy player.

Harry Schoenberg: Glimpses of exceptional performance. Still finding his way, but is developing nicely. Should be having Sloane's midfield minutes now.

Tom Lynch: Legendary sub. Will never be forgotten. Should retire.

Nick Murray: Jumps at the ball higher and harder than anyone. Has been a pleasing late addition to the squad. Should have played more regularly, but our coaches seem smarter than everyone else...

Rory Laird: The transition to midfield is complete. Stats accumulation, but little damage.

Wayne Milera: Most disappointing injury of the year. Tough injury to return from and really missed this year.

James Rowe: Loves a goal. Really loves a celebration. Has done as well as could be expected, but has found it very tough going at times.

Darcy Fogarty: Just starting to settle in to his role and looking much more confident. Some pleasing signs. I hope he is able to keep developing this year and should really solidify his position in 2022.

Brodie Smith: Not a great year. Has had some good games, but lots of games with little impact.

Elliot Himmelberg: Soooo disappointing. Looked like he might take a step this year. He did, only it went a long way backwards. Dropped his head and doesn't appear desperate to get his position back.

James Borlase: Doing ok at SANFL level, but I'm not sure what position he plays at AFL level. I think he might be a tough delist at seasons end.

Andrew Mcpherson: Disappointing year. Struggling to defend anyone at the moment.

Ronin O'Connor: A good step forward this year resulting in an AFL debut. Not sure he has a long term AFL future, but has developed well so far.

Lachlan Sholl: Great early year, but seems to have hit a wall. A wall called David Mackay who now has his wing position. Hoping he finds his form again. Game V Port was one of the most scared I've ever seen a player. Hope he can get past this.

Tom Doedee: Future Captain. Has played some great games, puts his body on the line and leads by example. Unfortunately we seem determined to minimise his impact by making him stand 200cm players.

Ben Davis: Looks good when playing across the backlines in SANFL. Unfortunately you can't have 30 half back flankers on your squad (as much as we try), so everytime he plays well, we then move him forward where he struggles. Won't survive beyond this year.

Jordon Butts: Great performance this year. Has a few goals kicked on him, but battles hard and is rarely beaten overall. Love his efforts this year.

Tariek Newchurch: Scintillating player, but needs to develop defensive side. Still developing.

Reilly O'Brien: Really disappointing year. Struggled all year and I can't think of a single game he won his position clearly. Last few games looks better, so hopeful he will have a strong second half of the year.

Lachlan Gollant: Really liked this guy in pre-season. Has something and we need to keep developing him. The injury was such a disappointment. Hoping he can get back to playing soon. I hope we keep him next year.

Kieran Strachan: Good battling SANFL player. Not an AFL ruckman, so we need find a development ruck.

Coaches:

Have done a great job developing a culture at the club. Players are buying in, signing on to stay and seem happy.
Have managed to set ourselves for two games and come away with two upset wins. Haven't been able to replicate it on a regular basis.
Decision making is very questionable. The refusal to play two KD has cost us several games. The ongoing selection of Mackay and Kelly is bewildering when we are in a rebuild. Has gone back to the 'flog your experienced mids' approach rather than developing some younger guys. Seems to have been sucked in to the 'must push for 8th spot' plan.
The Tom Lynch sub plan was a dumb as you get. Absolute embarrassment for the club and the coaches.

Overall, some good signs, but some very worrying signs that this coaching group is following the exact same plan we have followed without success for 20 years.

Thoughts on our B&F at this stage?

I'd guess something like this:

1. Laird
2. Keays
3. Walker
4. Seedsman
5. Doedee
6. Smith
7. ROB
8. Kelly
9. Sloane (missed a few games)
10. Sholl

Reckon we might win half of our home games

Pretty much going as foreseen.

I'm glad we gave Thilthorpe a game and moved Fog back forward. Hopefully they've finally settled on what was our obvious forward structure.

The continual faffing about with the backs structure is nauseating and just prolongs the rebuild. Two talls thanks.

Can't do much about the midfield until we have someone who can identify good midfielders at the draft.

Positives:
Berry, Thilthorpe, Schoenberg, Butts, Doedee, Keays, Laird, Kelly, McHenry, Walker and Pedlar(showing a few glimpses in the SANFL) the positives for me.

Negatives are:
Season ending injuries.
ROB, Smith, Lynch, Sloane, Frampton, Himmelberg, Hately, Mackay, McAdam, McAsey, McPherson, Murray all disappointing.

Major negatives:
Match commitee not giving some players a run such as Worrell.

Last edited:
Would anyone have picked us to have 5 wins at the bye particularly if they knew Talia and Matt Crouch would have gotten no where near the field before the season?

Between this and having all the crucial re-signings done before the bye I think there's the most cause for optimism since this time 2017.

Would anyone have picked us to have 5 wins at the bye particularly if they knew Talia and Matt Crouch would have gotten no where near the field before the season?

Between this and having all the crucial re-signings done before the bye I think there's the most cause for optimism since this time 2017.
I thought 5 wins was certainly possible, but before round 1 I didn't think 3 of those wins would come against Geelong, Melbourne and St Kilda.

Also, funny to think that if we reversed the 2 games we lost by under a goal (Hawthorn and Collingwood), we would currently be only % out of the 8. And both of those games we're painfully winnable. In fact its actually flabbergasting that we lost them

In terms of team, I think we’re doing really well, and probably overachieving. Would be happy for us to move backwards on the ladder for a better draft pick;

Off field, we seem to have it together financially and personally I’m very excited by Brompton;

My only bugbear right now is this Mad Dog MacKay situation, but the club appears to have grown some balls

I’m quietly happy thus far, but I’ll know more tomorrow

my random 2021 thoughts:

• In general a slight improvement over 2020, but only in a way that raises more questions. The squad on paper is weaker than last years, but usually more competitive. This just makes me wonder why the team was so appalling for much of last year.
Players spent the COVID break half-assing it and rocked back up for Round 2 out of shape. Took the next couple of months for them to actually get back into reasonable shape and have the ability to run out games.

Back