Autopsy Mid Table Freo beats Mid Table Bulldogs 95-71

Remove this Banner Ad

Again bullshit, Keith hasn’t beaten anyone in 3 years. Khamis and O’Donnell fought hard considering our lazy onballers did not get back to help out. Your looking at the wrong players, Freo flooded back and clogged up our forward line , we did not.
No I am looking at a player who for the first time this year had time put into him and he had a shocker. They literally exposed him and played through him.

Keath today is fit and would be a better option than Buku if we are wanting to challenge.

Personally I beleive we are not good enough and would prefer to see VFL form rewarded and rotated through the AFL team.

Unlike many on here I am in no way convinced Buku makes it. Hope I am wrong but there were many concerns arising from this week's game

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just after I read this there was a loud banging at the door. When I opened it up there were these men in white coats. Before I could say anything they had put me in a straitjacket and sedated me. I woke up in the lunatic asylum in a padded cell with this other bloke who looked a bit familiar. Well, a lot familiar really.

He said "dogwatch! what are YOU doing here? You're not a nut case!" I nodded "yeah I know, but I said Sean Darcy had been better in the ruck contests than English despite English being better around the ground. I should have realised nobody reads past the first few words. Nobody does nuance. The coup de grace was Charlie B declaring in his I-will-not-be-contradicted sort of way 'No sane person gives the chocolates to Darcy'. Next thing I know there's this loud banging at the door and ... well, here I am."

"How about you?" I said. "I know you divide opinion at times but I definitely wouldn't have called you a nutter."

He gave me one of those familiar withering looks that he usually saves for journos. "The bastards pinged me on a technicality. Something about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Why do they have to be so f******g literal? Don't they understand figures of speech?"

We both nodded sadly and sat pondering the floor for a couple of minutes.

Then we looked up at each other, stood and took a couple of awkward steps toward each other and embraced.
Hah! When's the book coming out!?

Love this man and his commitment to death.. but seriously mate, this isn’t what the fans want to hear.

How many times do we need to learn?

View attachment 1973878

When the coach does it and kicks the can down the road week after week, the players think they can do and get away with the same.

There was nothing to learn from that. Nothing that shouldn't have been learnt many many times before.

Well, no you did not. If we have gastro running through the camp, it's no wonder that result occured.
"There is very little chance Libba actually had food poisoning" - your direct quote.

It's fairly clear nobody else was sick. It would have been brought up otherwise. Libba most likely had food poisoning which is why he didn't play, as for why we the result occurred, have you not been watching the team for the last 3 years?

No I am looking at a player who for the first time this year had time put into him and he had a shocker. They literally exposed him and played through him.

Keath today is fit and would be a better option than Buku if we are wanting to challenge.

Personally I beleive we are not good enough and would prefer to see VFL form rewarded and rotated through the AFL team.

Unlike many on here I am in no way convinced Buku makes it. Hope I am wrong but there were many concerns arising from this week's game

Can't remember the opponents but a few years back when Dale Morris was in the backline Lewis Young had a similar nightmare game. We eventually offed Young and Carlton picked him up. He's still stinking it up at Carlton. We have another Lewis Young scenario.

Before last weeks game Khamis had the most intercept marks for the year out of all AFL listed players. He is an interceptor. Yes he got caught out a few times in 1 on 1 duels, he is clearly better with a run and leap, yet come on people stay the course, Keith can’t even get to half the intercepts Khamis has made this year.

We got beaten by a better midfield again. Outworked by a harder running team. Wasn’t much in it and it’s about where we are. We need to keep pushing change through this team or we will fall off a cliff in a year or twos time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I felt whilst Tim was beaten he at least competed the whole time. Better effort than some previous games when he went all timid after being pushed around a bit.
I think i actually saw him jump in the ruck once - better than standing watching you opponent worrying about getting hurt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could someone please tell me why (I’ve seen this happen in several games so far now this year) that Tim English is being used as the short pass link up option from Full Back.

Where are the small runners to receive this ball? Why are they kicking it to Tim, then he short passes, then they short pass back to him for heck all gain in territory?

Shouldn’t Tim be much further down the line to contest the long kick - he a big *er, and usually marks the ball

It does my head in

And I’m not interested in the Sack Bevo, or Bevo out as an answer

Cheers

Could someone please tell me why (I’ve seen this happen in several games so far now this year) that Tim English is being used as the short pass link up option from Full Back.

Where are the small runners to receive this ball? Why are they kicking it to Tim, then he short passes, then they short pass back to him for * all gain in territory?

Shouldn’t Tim be much further down the line to contest the long kick - he a big *er, and usually marks the ball

It does my head in

And I’m not interested in the Sack Bevo, or Bevo out as an answer

Cheers
Remember when we experimented with him taking the kick outs last year. It didn't quite work out.

I think the main thing to take out of this game is...how bad is St Kilda?!
I dont think we're in a position to be throwing stones.

Im not sure that our playing group would turn up to the ground at all, if they were asked to play 3 games in 11 days.

Last edited:
I don’t get the Richards into the midfield move. Why lose your best running defender to gain a fourth best midfielder?
It's a sound and much needed move to inject some pace into the midfield in the absence of Smith. The problem is the there isn't anything underneath to replace him with. The next in line are Bramble who has the speed, but is fumbly and prone to poor disposal. Cleary who doesn't have the speed, is steady, but otherwise unexceptional and Freijah who appears to be from the Richards mould and is being groomed for this very role. Personally I'd put a line through the first two persist with Richards in the middle and free the Freij.

Saving that. FFS send Richard's back when the need arrises. Like on the weekend when all of the confidence that Khamis had built up over the previous month evaporated quicker than spit on a summer footpath. Something that Longmuir was quick to pick up on and direct his forwards to play through Khamis. Beveridge. Not so much.

Last edited:
I struggle to see how English topped the Ranking / DT points or whatever they are called.

He was from our worst and made a solid contribution as a midfielder but Sean Darcy was the best ruck on the ground and English was nowhere near being our best player.

There's an obvious moral in there. Stats are a useful adjunct and rating systems are amusing but nothing beats the eye-test.
Stats just record actions on the field, not sure how they're an adjunct. Have to say the opposite in fact.
Rating systems just apply certain value to those actions and rank them.

It's on the viewer to understand what they're saying/doing and take it from there. In your case, the AFL rating system does nothing to interpret match ups or who is playing on who and give a comparative assessment. That's a user error if you're wanting it to give that to you.

If people read stats without interpretation or understood what the various rating systems are doing/how they work, they'd be a lot less angst around them.

Geez he looked disinterested last night, was almost running around at 1/2 pace the whole night. His kicking is normally elite and he looked way off last night in decision making and execution. Was very disappointing, only has himself to blame if he is dropped off that.
Far out he was running in quick sand. Looked so far off the pace, it looked like a joke.

He's completely checked out for whatever reason.

Far out he was running in quick sand. Looked so far off the pace, it looked like a joke.

He's completely checked out for whatever reason.
Should never have been in in the first place. I think he might have actually stowed away in someone’s luggage - just got lucky that there was a late out and they couldn’t send him back. Why he was even a travelling emergency I don’t know.

Caleb has eked every last inch out of his height and ability - he is forever a Bullgod but he’s not the future and continuing to play him over other players who might be the future is fraught with danger

I’m a hard bastard, and i can see what Beveridge is trying to do to refresh the squad.

I didn't have any issues with Bevo's presser other than his ridiculous claim that you can't tag everybody.

If George Costanza taught us anything, it's that doing the exact opposite to what you normally do can yield surprisingly positive results.

Interesting Calebs drop off in form. Could be complete lack of confidence is at play here. I doubt you lose your kicking efficiency so quickly. Macrae has responded to the early criticism / dropping, maybe Caleb has taken this more personally and lost confidence.

Player management has been a bit of a weakness in my opinion.

We are bordering on unwatchable now. Bring on the end of the year.

Interesting Calebs drop off in form. Could be complete lack of confidence is at play here. I doubt you lose your kicking efficiency so quickly. Macrae has responded to the early criticism / dropping, maybe Caleb has taken this more personally and lost confidence.

If he was 10 kmph faster he'd have a future. But he isn't so he doesn't. The curtain is coming down on his career.

He could still play the same role Bramble is doing now if we recommitted to him in the backline. Bramble has been fine, but its not like he is Nick Blakey sprinting off half back. Feels like he has the role because he can dump kick an extra 10-15m compared to Caleb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back