Coach Midfield Coaching Roles

Remove this Banner Ad

Re the comment about the forwards not scrapping, I agree with this as a historical comment. Taking into account this podcast was released before the Melbourne game I would say have a look at the replay and pay attention to the efforts of our forwards - especially Eric and Joe. Vast improvement on prior seasons.

I am holding judgement on our system until I've seen a body of work in 2023. I think we have been hamstrung in previous seasons by personnel, particularly in the midfield. I thought last year for instance we had to play a very negative inside style because of personnel. Dunkey and Ashcroft give us flexibility. Mckenna and Cam down back also give us flexibility to improve the gameplan to the point we have probably wanted to in previous seasons.

Joe was very impressive IMO. He's been working on his defensive running all pre season (was evident in the pre season and round 2) and thought both live and watching the replay that he's showing some leadership up forward. Wouldn't surprise me if Joe is really ready to step up now that he's moved to some land and his baby was born.

Back to the coaches, I thought the Murray Davis defensive mindset looked evident on the forwards.

Fox Footy podcast briefly discussed our system and assistant coaches, responding to a listener question.

Somewhat damming on both fronts, as they were quoting Alister Lynch talking about our system and players.

At the 45:23 mark.

Also: Muligan alert.

So Lynch questioned the systems and forwards stepping up and some random guy said we don’t have big name assistant coaches so Fagan has to do a lot

That was a horrible analysis of our club. Don’t know who those clowns are

Winning clearances as high as we did can really paper over some cracks around our defensive structure. Notably it was a lot better, but there were definitely times I saw waves of Melbourne players streaming forward into space and zero brisbane players around.

Those things are going to happen during games once or twice but it isn't what you want to see.

Winning clearances as high as we did can really paper over some cracks around our defensive structure. Notably it was a lot better, but there were definitely times I saw waves of Melbourne players streaming forward into space and zero brisbane players around.

Those things are going to happen during games once or twice but it isn't what you want to see.

You're never going to be able to fully shut those down especially against good teams, but too many of our mids running too far ahead of the ball hasn't helped.

It did although Clug only had 4 score involvements and he averages 6.5 over the last 2 years
His personal involvement went down but the team overall improved its scoring against a team we've struggled against for some time with some of the best defence in the comp. Personally I'll take that and assume it will shoot up against some of the easier teams

And back to reality for the midfield. Completely unable to win a clean clearance all night, and as a result scoring dried up.

Our inability to score absence centre bounce or forward stoppage domination might be the most concerning thing so far this year.

We just crumble under the slightest amount of pressure

And back to reality for the midfield. Completely unable to win a clean clearance all night, and as a result scoring dried up.

Our inability to score absence centre bounce or forward stoppage domination might be the most concerning thing so far this year.

Is big O being instructed to blind handball or hit the ball out into space in general play? I get the Keating style ruck work at stoppages and centrebounce, but I have never seen him blind handball like he is at the moment.

Is big O being instructed to blind handball or hit the ball out into space in general play? I get the Keating style ruck work at stoppages and centrebounce, but I have never seen him blind handball like he is at the moment.
The first time it worked was last week when our team came out with genuine desire , got in front ,and picked up the ball being propelled forward.

The other 2 weeks we just haven't had anyone running on to it.

It has to be an instruction because one thing O does is what he's told by the coaches. Maybe others aren't playing their roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first time it worked was last week when our team came out with genuine desire , got in front ,and picked up the ball being propelled forward.

The other 2 weeks we just haven't had anyone running on to it.

It has to be an instruction because one thing O does is what he's told by the coaches. Maybe others aren't playing their roles.

Agreed, it looked really good last week. Using our speed to our advantage and got the ball moving from the get go.

But as you said it only works when the midfield/half forwards give enough of a s**t to be proactive and actually run onto the ball.

Has been the case since fagan has taken over. Break even or lose clearances and contested possessions we most likely lose the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back