Coach Midfield Coaching Roles

Remove this Banner Ad

I think recently retired legends, particularly the hard contested players, are worth their weight in gold.

The young players have watched and idolised them, so will die trying to impress them on the field.

The older players see themselves as contemporaries and don't want to be embarrassed.

Hodge was perfect, and is probably still relevant enough to have that impact again.

Fagan is many wonderful things but not that. Adcock isn't relevant to the newbies, and has been there long enough the oldies probably don't even notice him.

We need a recent legend assistant coach ASAP.

I think recently retired legends, particularly the hard contested players, are worth their weight in gold.

The young players have watched and idolised them, so will die trying to impress them on the field.

The older players see themselves as contemporaries and don't want to be embarrassed.

Hodge was perfect, and is probably still relevant enough to have that impact again.

Fagan is many wonderful things but not that. Adcock isn't relevant to the newbies, and has been there long enough the oldies probably don't even notice him.

We need a recent legend assistant coach ASAP.
Hodge has said he doesn’t want to go into full time coaching, because he wants time with his family.

Hodge has said he doesn’t want to go into full time coaching, because he wants time with his family.

Yep, that's why I slagged the media for paying him too much.

He can only have one part time gig and it should us. According to me.

And there are other retired legends

Fox Footy podcast briefly discussed our system and assistant coaches, responding to a listener question.

Somewhat damming on both fronts, as they were quoting Alister Lynch talking about our system and players.

At the 45:23 mark.

Also: Muligan alert.

Last edited:
Fox Footy podcast briefly discussed our system and assistant coaches, responding to a listener question.

Somewhat damming on both fronts, as they were quoting Alister Lynch talking about our system and players.

He was not positive about our coaching setup, and it would be such a shame for the amount of talent we have on our list to go to waste because we can't attract a good coaching group.

Basically for our game plan to succeed we need to be winning the midfield battle, if we break even we lose. Simple as that.

He was not positive about our coaching setup, and it would be such a shame for the amount of talent we have on our list to go to waste because we can't attract a good coaching group.

Basically for our game plan to succeed we need to be winning the midfield battle, if we break even we lose. Simple as that.

A grain of truth in that.

Last year we were hamstrung by playing Lyons and Zorko who could barely move
You can kind of understand why we persisted but at the same time, why did we?
Zorko performance on the weekend is part of the reason why, but when he and Lyons were playing week in and week out they were never given the rest to be able to get back to their best.

With Berry in the middle we look so much better, but the performance as a whole was 1000% on the week before.

I was concerned coming into the year that we haven’t really changed much from the year before in the midfield. With Dunkley just a straight swap for Lyons we were still looking a bit small in there. But with Berry rolling through a bit more it is definitely a better balance with Clugga and Ashcroft next up.

With Berry in the middle we look so much better, but the performance as a whole was 1000% on the week before.
On a non-related note, does anyone have anymore information on Berry’s injury that occurred late in that final quarter?

The club seems to be awfully quiet with it all, which seems to mean it could be quite bad for Jarrod.

On a non-related note, does anyone have anymore information on Berry’s injury that occurred late in that final quarter?

The club seems to be awfully quiet with it all, which seems to mean it could be quite bad for Jarrod.
All the information posted on this forum says that it was just a stinger and has been confirmed by Fagan IIRC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the information posted on this forum says that it was just a stinger and has been confirmed by Fagan IIRC.
Well that’s a relief, thought the worst (as always) especially given Berry has had issues in the past with his shoulders.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated :thumbsu:

It would be a huge shame for us (and him) if his shoulders stopped him playing on the inside where he is better.
Makes me wonder if that’s the main reason we don’t see him play on the inside most weeks until we play against tough oppositions, as an precaution to make sure he is fit and healthy for the whole season and not get injured early on for the rest of the season.

Unless Fages hates Cameron Bruce now and all his “wonderful” ideas, which is extremely unlikely given their connection in the past 😅

Makes me wonder if that’s the main reason we don’t see him play on the inside most weeks until we play against tough oppositions, as an precaution to make sure he is fit and healthy for the whole season and not get injured early on for the rest of the season.

Unless Fages hates Cameron Bruce now and all his “wonderful” ideas, which is extremely unlikely given their connection in the past 😅
I believe it has been mentioned that it has been his shoulders that have stopped him playing inside more. I don't think we need to play him inside every week not just because of his shoulders but I would have to assume (others will know more than me) that putting inside mids on the outside during the season for some games/time in games is better overall for their body the further we go into the season. I also think with our current depth it wouldn't be a bad thing to rest some guys for games against the very bottom teams or just use them as the sub etc. I don't think he is the only one that we will need to manage either. I think Zorko because of his age and Ashcroft because of his age and role should be managed, especially when we look to have a bit of depth this year.

Or it could be a case that there is no injury as such and the club doesnt see the need to address it - just a thought.

Or it could be a case that there is no injury as such and the club doesnt see the need to address it - just a thought.
But still would have been nice for the fans to know that he’s doing okay now.

Anyways, it seems like he is 100% fine cause our injury report came out today on the website and it suggests nothing serious has happened from the no information about Jarrod, which is good to hear :thumbsu:

It was addressed by Fages earlier in the week.
His name not being on the list backs up what he said.
I must be behind the 8 ball then, my bad everyone for interluding this topic 😅

Anyways back to the main topic, GIVE MURRAY DAVIS THE MIDFIELD COACH ROLE :straining:

Fox Tv Fire GIF by Bob's Burgers

Re the comment about the forwards not scrapping, I agree with this as a historical comment. Taking into account this podcast was released before the Melbourne game I would say have a look at the replay and pay attention to the efforts of our forwards - especially Eric and Joe. Vast improvement on prior seasons.

I am holding judgement on our system until I've seen a body of work in 2023. I think we have been hamstrung in previous seasons by personnel, particularly in the midfield. I thought last year for instance we had to play a very negative inside style because of personnel. Dunkey and Ashcroft give us flexibility. Mckenna and Cam down back also give us flexibility to improve the gameplan to the point we have probably wanted to in previous seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back