Coach Midfield Coaching Roles

Remove this Banner Ad

and Melbourne had Choc Williams sitting on the bench, just keeping an eye on things. What I would not give to have him in our set up. Unfortunately, being a team out in the boondocks............

You questioning whether we make finals.
Half joking. But we need to regroup and come up with a better plan and effort otherwise teams will go past us this year. Could already be happening.

Regardless of our poor effort Port really showed something yesterday. They're not the only ones who might have improved.

Personally I would like McCluggage to go back to playing wing.

We are seeing how damaging good wings are across the competition.

McCluggage was setting up a lot of our offence when he played wing.
Legitimately still think our team has not really improved since he moved inside. We are really missing proper wingers (or our game plan seems to ignore them a lot) when they dominate for so many teams

Legitimately still think our team has not really improved since he moved inside. We are really missing proper wingers (or our game plan seems to ignore them a lot) when they dominate for so many teams

Our best stretch of form in the past 5 years was probably from round 5 2021 until roughly round 16. 11 wins, only loss was to the Dees after leading them by 20 points at half time, and included wins over the Cats, Port and Tigers. Lachie missed most of that run too - and clug led the coaches votes in that period playing as an inside mid.

I also question whether we want to have clug running up and back and covering deep if the play is on the other side of the ground as we ask Berry to do. I know he was the narrow/contest winger earlier in his career but not convinced you can get away with having one winger who isn't staying wide and putting the ks in that way these days.

Last edited:
Watching a couple of the footy shows and the performances that all the new coaches had on there clubs was great - albeit it could just be a sugar rush and i know the likes North and Essendon didnt beat anyone of note, but GWS and Saints wins were great and then Collingwood last year, basket case in 21 and that debacle trade period and off the back of McCrae are flying.
I can't help but thinking we went to early on re-signing Fagan and if this year we miss the 8 or dont make a PF at a minimum, i think we have to make a change. I no this may sound reactionary after our big loss, but the gameplan didnt look much different to last year and i fear that we are wasting time under Fagan and all the coaches with the talent we have . Players look comfortable and perhaps we need and the players need something vastly different. None of that detracts from all the amazing work Fages has done b/c he was the man for those years, but ive been thinking for sometime, that someone else may be the man to take us the next step. This is only if we dont make the PF but im just not feeling Fages is the right man if 23 is another wasted year.

Why, this graphic on Brownys shows what a problem the coaching team cant address.

Attachments

• unnamed 5.jpg
    unnamed 5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
Watching a couple of the footy shows and the performances that all the new coaches had on there clubs was great - albeit it could just be a sugar rush and i know the likes North and Essendon didnt beat anyone of note, but GWS and Saints wins were great and then Collingwood last year, basket case in 21 and that debacle trade period and off the back of McCrae are flying.
I can't help but thinking we went to early on re-signing Fagan and if this year we miss the 8 or dont make a PF at a minimum, i think we have to make a change. I no this may sound reactionary after our big loss, but the gameplan didnt look much different to last year and i fear that we are wasting time under Fagan and all the coaches with the talent we have . Players look comfortable and perhaps we need and the players need something vastly different. None of that detracts from all the amazing work Fages has done b/c he was the man for those years, but ive been thinking for sometime, that someone else may be the man to take us the next step. This is only if we dont make the PF but im just not feeling Fages is the right man if 23 is another wasted year.

Why, this graphic on Brownys shows what a problem the coaching team cant address.

Not a reactionary take at all. The pattern of big defeats in the last year is too much to ignore.

If we go and smash our next three opponents will opinions on here change will we still want to sack all the coaches?
I am waiting 3 weeks.

giphy.gif

I’ve been saying for 3 years we have a weak coaching panel, it continues to bite. We should have jumped on a ratten or a rutten, we should try and get Lukey Power out of Carlton. Something.

Imagine having a properly credentialed senior assistant under Fagan? it could be transformative.

Name an assistant coach that’s been in the conversation for a senior job under Fagan, there have been none.

Nothing againts our crew, they are all great people and have been part of our push up the ladder - however, we need to do a clean out and re-load under Fagan as other teams have done lately, if things don’t work out this year.

If we go and smash our next three opponents will opinions on here change will we still want to sack all the coaches?
I was talking if improvements arent made by seasons end - its not unworthy of conversation and the graphic Browny showed are pretty damning.

I'm starting to believe we don't actually have a system.

It looks like we have several different styles of play for different occurrences or things happening in the game. But no actual style.

Opposition plays like x we slow the game down. Opposition set up in y play down the line until we win the clearance and get the ball on the outside. etc.

It just feels like good teams have worked us out, and know all they have to do is apply manic pressure and we fall apart. I'm trying to remember the last time we stood up against the type of pressure we faced on the weekend, and can't recall a game.

I'm starting to believe we don't actually have a system.

It looks like we have several different styles of play for different occurrences or things happening in the game. But no actual style.

Opposition plays like x we slow the game down. Opposition set up in y play down the line until we win the clearance and get the ball on the outside. etc.

It just feels like good teams have worked us out, and know all they have to do is apply manic pressure and we fall apart. I'm trying to remember the last time we stood up against the type of pressure we faced on the weekend, and can't recall a game.
I know we've been trounced before but Saturday was the first time I've thought we've given up.

Well maybe the prelim against Geelong we gave up but we had a lot of sore bodies and a couple who probably shouldn't have been out there.

It is possible that we're just not good enough when the blowtorch is applied . Some of our 'stars ' still need to show they can perform under genuine pressure and it's not going your way , which is the hallmark of great players or a great team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the last couple of years I just feel we play like a bunch of individual players who rely on talent alone to win games.

We just don’t look like a team with any real system. This I think also reflects in the lack of pressure acts off ball as some people observed , the lack of shepherds , blocks, or leading to draw opponents away

does not change the fundamentals. and fundamentally we are can't defend nor cope with man on man pressure if the opposition midfield breaks even let alone win against ours.

we are one trick pony, poorly coached and our blokes just want to play front running footy.

does not change the fundamentals. and fundamentally we are can't defend nor cope with man on man pressure if the opposition midfield breaks even let alone win against ours.

we are one trick pony, poorly coached and our blokes just want to play front running footy.
Are we poorly coached or do too many of our players not have that dog hungry fierce unrelenting intensity that you need to be elite consistently, are we happy at just being competitive most weeks, are we too comfortable?

Nigel Lappin was one I would put in the dog hungry category, Lethal used to say bravery on a footy field comes in many forms and an underrated one is being able to keep running when your body tells you no more, he cited Nigel Lappin as an example of this.

We always seem to blame the coaches when the players just don't turn up. The coaches can't run for these players. They need to be accountable for once.
I don't know enough about what the coaches do or say to really comment conclusively on their performance ,but as highly paid professional footballers the effort wasn't close to being good enough on the weekend and they must be taken to task and in some cases have consequences if it helps the team .

We always seem to blame the coaches when the players just don't turn up. The coaches can't run for these players. They need to be accountable for once.
Most definitely the players need to bar accountable for this one.
But I feel that we do tend to be slow starters and quite often give up the first goal or 2 before coming to life.
I feel as though the coaches do need to be able to lift the boys in some way so they are ready from the first bounce.
The midfield group are probably the worst at this and will always be slow out of the blocks and losing clearances and co tested possession early in games.

For all the talent we have in the midfield we are a very poor stoppage team. We might win our fair share clearances but they are often just kick quicks forward and scrappy. Other teams walk it out at times. Our wingers never seem able to sweep out of the back of a centre wing stoppage. It’s partly a structure thing but also technique and timing.

If you look at centre bounces in particular I notice all our fleet of foot/ smaller mids run under the under ruckmans jump or take position on the inside of the opponent as soon as the ball goes up. So any ball that clears the congested area we are generally second to. If we have a Zac Bailey and even Neale in at the centre bounce I’m not sure why we don’t try tapping the ball clear/ forward of the circle as much as possible and try play to our smaller players advantage.

For the last couple of years I just feel we play like a bunch of individual players who rely on talent alone to win games.

We just don’t look like a team with any real system. This I think also reflects in the lack of pressure acts off ball as some people observed , the lack of shepherds , blocks, or leading to draw opponents away
100% last year.
So many games won on individual brilliance popping up, and not so much being a fine tuned team.
Say a brilliant snap by Charlie where as the other team seemed to dominate general play but just didn't have the finish of our forwards.
That is the reason why we couldn't put teams to the sword imo, our system or put it this way, the way we play.
Contested possession , not so much finding space with running etc.
Sooner or later the oppo will get a run on if you give back possession.
All this must come back to the head coach surely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back