Coach Midfield Coaching Roles

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's an intensity issue I think it's a size issue our midfield is too small and when we're up against a big and strong midfield unit like geelong or melbourne we expend so much energy tackling and bringing to the ground petracca and dangerfield that we run out of gas by the 2nd quarter we need a big boi in there to counter-act the big bull mids from other teams someone to run with clayton oliver or cam guthrie. The bulldogs game bont was running with lachie and the size difference is huge.

I don't think it's an intensity issue I think it's a size issue our midfield is too small and when we're up against a big and strong midfield unit like geelong or melbourne we expend so much energy tackling and bringing to the ground petracca and dangerfield that we run out of gas by the 2nd quarter we need a big boi in there to counter-act the big bull mids from other teams someone to run with clayton oliver or cam guthrie. The bulldogs game bont was running with lachie and the size difference is huge.
On the list currently - Prior, Rayner, Berry, Starcevich are the tall midfield types. Ellis-Yolman was meant to be the great hope in this area but it’s pretty hard to recruit a big player with speed. Wonder who’s available this year.

Is it time to call it a day on Ben Hudson and Cam Bruce?

Our midfield gets slaughtered every week. I wonder if the usual sack your coach and win a few more games would work here as well. Sack the midfield coach and watch us dominate in clearance work for the foreseeable future?

March 2023 and I’m wondering the same thing my friend

March 2023 and I’m wondering the same thing my friend

Problem might be a level up from the midfield coach. Baffling decision to give the senior coach an extension when no club was going to poach him. The Afls 6 month max payout clause makes financial risk low I guess.

Felt at the end of last year that he’d done a great job taking us from the bottom to a regular finalist, not sure he can take us further.

Midfield depth is a bigger worry. After Neale, Dunkley and McCluggage there's isn't much. Ashcroft jumped to our 4th best mid before playing a game. Ports midfield depth was on show today

Plus Oscar is a dud and we don't have any decent wings

Unfortunately Bailey and Dev haven't improved and Rayner is now a defender

This coaching panel has never been able to bring it the mongrel in the players. They are nice and all but ...

Sure we have great skills and can look very pretty at times just by show casing those. To win though we NEED that inner mongrel that enables players to play way beyond their skill level.

I miss Mitch. At least he know how to draw on the gut and play bigger than his skills. He had to, but it's a skill on its own that many on our list do not possess. And our coaches haven't been able to teach.

This coaching panel has never been able to bring it the mongrel in the players. They are nice and all but ...

Sure we have great skills and can look very pretty at times just by show casing those. To win though we NEED that inner mongrel that enables players to play way beyond their skill level.

I miss Mitch. At least he know how to draw on the gut and play bigger than his skills. He had to, but it's a skill on its own that many on our list do not possess. And our coaches haven't been able to teach.

Was paying $1.01 for this to be your take.

Mitch was useful mongrel a few years ago, was well off it last year.

I miss fit Mitch. Was running in sand by the end sadly.

Was paying $1.01 for this to be your take.

Mitch was useful mongrel a few years ago, was well off it last year.

Lol I agree. His time was well done, and there is no place for him in this team. Wasn't calling for him to be still in the team.

But surely you agree that current players need to develop some of his mongrel attitude.

Midfield depth is a bigger worry. After Neale, Dunkley and McCluggage there's isn't much. Ashcroft jumped to our 4th best mid before playing a game. Ports midfield depth was on show today

Plus Oscar is a dud and we don't have any decent wings

Unfortunately Bailey and Dev haven't improved and Rayner is now a defender

Zorks’ decline post 2021 has removed the only consistent pressure midfielder with speed from the rotation. Lines up pretty directly with the issues getting worse last year.

No worries, he's coming.🤨

JPNh1reZ.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d really love to settle on Bailey, Ashcroft and Berry as our wings this year with Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage rotating with Rayner, Dev, Zorko, Lyons or whoever.

Throwing Ashcroft in the deep end yesterday showed he has some way to go if he’s to become an inside mid. Think we need to look longer term and ease him int it more. Bailey also didn’t show any signs of improvement as onballer. Simplify his role by putting him on the wing or half forward.By shifting these 2 to the outside we can also make use of the skills and speed

No way Neale and Clug play that poorly ever again. Still cannot believe 2 A graders could look so terrible especially after their leadership promotions

Oscar offers little apart from the occasional big mark. Is way too slow for such a poor tap ruckman. Give Fort a game

I’d really love to settle on Bailey, Ashcroft and Berry as our wings this year with Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage rotating with Rayner, Dev, Zorko, Lyons or whoever.

Throwing Ashcroft in the deep end yesterday showed he has some way to go if he’s to become an inside mid. Think we need to look longer term and ease him int it more. Bailey also didn’t show any signs of improvement as onballer. Simplify his role by putting him on the wing or half forward.By shifting these 2 to the outside we can also make use of the skills and speed

No way Neale and Clug play that poorly ever again. Still cannot believe 2 A graders could look so terrible especially after their leadership promotions

Oscar offers little apart from the occasional big mark. Is way too slow for such a poor tap ruckman. Give Fort a game
Agree with the majority of that.

We got suckered in to expecting Ashcroft to be an immediate gun and the way the coaches and team mates talked him up pre season was ill advised. He tried hard yesterday but looked physically immature. It'd be better for his development on a wing where he could find his feet.

Bailey is constantly skirting the pack waiting for it to come out and when it doesn't he looks ordinary. The wing suits his skill set and gives us what we're lacking there .Berry was just underdone yesterday ,where he plays probably depends on his body and as yet we have no guide.

Fort has been better than Oscar every time he's played. Helped us win games. Maybe the brains trust needs to accept what they see and the results.

One of the reasons I like Ah Chee as a rotating winger is that besides being hard and good defensively, he's a genuine marking target which we need there since McStay is gone.

Zac Bailey as a more or less permanent small forward is a 45+ a year goal kicker, him and Charlie as our 2 main small forwards would be lethal... as long as they consistently applied pressure in defence.

At what point do we start worrying about the likes of McCluggage and Berry? I know this is a bit reactionary, but at the same time, they really are at an age where they should be fairly consistent week in week out, it shouldn't be an outlier for Bez to pull out the final he had against the Dees in the finals.

Even Clugs is 25, same age as Clayton Oliver, and by this point of his career, he's already established himself as a consistent week in week out bull for the Dees. I know not everyone develops at the same rate, but Hugh can't really be pulling out good games every 3rd week

Personally I would like McCluggage to go back to playing wing.

We are seeing how damaging good wings are across the competition.

McCluggage was setting up a lot of our offence when he played wing.

I’d rather stick Robertson inside and let him hunt the ball, and play an accountable defensive game in tandem with Dunkley.

Let Lachie play the distributor role.

I’d love Rayner in there to do what Horn-Francis did to us yesterday.

Wouldn’t have Berry playing seniors or reserves until he is properly fit, and healthy (I have a bad suspicion that his shoulder will never be right, but I’d be giving him as long as possible to rest/heal, in the hopes we can ease him in before finals).

Personally I would like McCluggage to go back to playing wing.

We are seeing how damaging good wings are across the competition.

McCluggage was setting up a lot of our offence when he played wing.

I’d rather stick Robertson inside and let him hunt the ball, and play an accountable defensive game in tandem with Dunkley.

Let Lachie play the distributor role.

I’d love Rayner in there to do what Horn-Francis did to us yesterday.

Wouldn’t have Berry playing seniors or reserves until he is properly fit, and healthy (I have a bad suspicion that his shoulder will never be right, but I’d be giving him as long as possible to rest/heal, in the hopes we can ease him in before finals).
Finals ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back