VFLW Minor Semi Final - Geelong v NT Thunder - 11.45am Sun Sept 9 - LIVE STREAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
The Cats take on the NT Thunder in the VFL Women's minor semi-final this Sunday from 11.45am at North Port Oval, Port Melbourne.
Winner plays the loser of Collingwood v Hawthorn next week, loser is out of the finals.

Finals tickets are adults $15, concession/pensioners $10 and kids under 15 free.

Geelong Cats Team:

B: 26. R. Pearce, 44. R. Goring, 40. A. Teague

HB: 34. A. McDonald, 25. E. Coventry, 1. J. Woollett

C: 4. C. Blakeway, 13. M. Fogas, 3. H. Burchell

HF: 20. N. Morrison, 5. J. Ivey, 2. D. Orr

F: 6. M. Boyd, 7. M. Clifford, 8. K. Darby

R: 46. E. Hoare, 45. M. Keryk, 30. R. Cranston

Int: 17. H. Mangan, 24. M. McMahon, 41. C. Stevens, 33. H. Trevean

23P: 16. O. Purcell

Emg: 23. I. Currenti, 28. M. Fedele, 15. M. Janssen, 11. M. Klingbeil , 10. L. Taylor

Radio coverage begins Sunday 11am via RSN Carnival digital radio in Melbourne or on the RSN Racing & Sport App.

Video stream coverage (below) begins at 11.40am.

Would be great if they got up and the Hawks lose. Could have all 3 teams playing the Hawks in do-or-die finals.

Nearly half time, Cats have just kicked two quick goals and trail NT Thunder by 3 points.
Good to see young Nina Morrison running around in the hoops; very talented girl.

edit: as I type Thunder answer with two even quicker goals. Gave our girls a hiding earlier this season too ...

Nearly half time, Cats have just kicked two quick goals and trail NT Thunder by 3 points.
Good to see young Nina Morrison running around in the hoops; very talented girl.

edit: as I type Thunder answer with two even quicker goals. Gave our girls a hiding earlier this season too ...

Would help if the umpires took out their NT Thunder contact lenses. Had two free kicks that should've been paid deep in attack in that quarter - one for a high tackle and another for incorrect disposal, yet NT get two soft frees for similar things.

Agree with Nina Morrison though. Looks like a star in the making.

Cranston, playing to her usual high-standard, finds Orr with a long kick and Orr converts - back to a 2 point margain.

Presumably Morrison nominates Geelong as her draft destination - depending on how loose the AFL play it we could snap her up late even though she's probably the 2nd best junior player in the country. AFL have warned they will 'police' the rule stringently, but who knows what that even means ..

Cranston, playing to her usual high-standard, finds Orr with a long kick and Orr converts - back to a 2 point margain.

Presumably Morrison nominates Geelong as her draft destination - depending on how loose the AFL play it we could snap her up late even though she's probably the 2nd best junior player in the country. AFL have warned they will 'police' the rule stringently, but who knows what that even means ..

She won the TAC Cup B&F this year, ahead of Preparkis. That would say she's the best junior player in the country. ;)

She won the TAC Cup B&F this year, ahead of Preparkis. That would say she's the best junior player in the country. ;)

Both very good - different types, Prespaskis more inside the contest than Morrison ... would be happy with either at Geelong next year, but even happier to have both!

Been a pretty entertaining game too.

They had an interesting convo before the game where they were arguing that VFLW is a better standard and is seen as the superior competition to AFLW, and that AFLW is actually seen as a pre-season competition. Pretty hard to argue against - 1 is a competition where everyone plays everyone else at least once, the other is a 10 team competition with only 6 or 7 games, plus finals.

Been a pretty entertaining game too.

They had an interesting convo before the game where they were arguing that VFLW is a better standard and is seen as the superior competition to AFLW, and that AFLW is actually seen as a pre-season competition. Pretty hard to argue against - 1 is a competition where everyone plays everyone else at least once, the other is a 10 team competition with only 6 or 7 games, plus finals.

Very good game today, agreed.
I haven't watched a ton of VFLW, but I made a similar observation to my missus earlier - the standard is definitely as good as the AFLW ..

Thunder get out to a 7 point lead before Rocky Cranston lands a 45m+ set shot bomb to reduce the margain to a single point again ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great 9 point win to Geelong; NT Thunder very slick for much of the game too.

But full credit to the Cats; played a very good last quarter, good attack on the contest and composed under pressure.

Rocky Cranston played a great game, Mia-Rae Clifford and Maddie Boyd good in attack late in the game, Anna Teague and Maddy McMahon solid in defense.

Does anyone know if McMahon is listed by another AFLW team? Plays well every time I've seen her, but not listed by the Cats ...

Is Michaelia Roberts from NT Thunder associated with any AFLW programs? Crows?

I'd be very happy if we were able to lure her down, thought she was a really exciting spark at times.

Great game either way, and very impressive coverage when compared to the VFL stuff (sigh).

Valuable getting big game experience into Olivia Purcell too; she's an unobtrusive type but does some really strong work in the midfield; thought she was good in the final quarter. She'll most likely end up on the AFLW list too ...

Great 9 point win to Geelong; NT Thunder very slick for much of the game too.

But full credit to the Cats; played a very good last quarter, good attack on the contest and composed under pressure.

Rocky Cranston played a great game, Mia-Rae Clifford and Maddie Boyd good in attack late in the game, Anna Teague and Maddy McMahon solid in defense.

Does anyone know if McMahon is listed by another AFLW team? Plays well every time I've seen her, but not listed by the Cats ...

McMahon did well in the ruck too when Erin Hoare went down with an ankle injury. Don't know if she is listed, but if she keeps playing like she did today she'd be on the radar.

Valuable getting big game experience into Olivia Purcell too; she's an unobtrusive type but does some really strong work in the midfield; thought she was good in the final quarter. She'll most likely end up on the AFLW list too ...

Hopefully both Purcell and Morrison both nominate to play with us in the draft, and we also get to pick up Preparkis as the number 1 pick.

McMahon did well in the ruck too when Erin Hoare went down with an ankle injury. Don't know if she is listed, but if she keeps playing like she did today she'd be on the radar.

Hopefully both Purcell and Morrison both nominate to play with us in the draft, and we also get to pick up Preparkis as the number 1 pick.

I've watched maybe 4 VFWL games this year and McMahon has been composed and used the ball well in all of them. Good height and athleticism too. My guess is that she runs around for another AFLW team.

As to your draft hopes; couldn't agree more.

Prespakis, Morrison and Purcell would complement Cranston nicely in the midfield.

Other Geelong Falcons girls Jordy Allen and Denby Taylor would be very very welcome too. If Prespakis nominates all of Victoria then we're in with a decent show at drafting at least 3-4 of those girls (plus others) ..

I've watched maybe 4 VFWL games this year and McMahon has been composed and used the ball well in all of them. Good height and athleticism too. My guess is that she runs around for another AFLW team.

As to your draft hopes; couldn't agree more.

Prespakis, Morrison and Purcell would complement Cranston nicely in the midfield.

Other Geelong Falcons girls Jordy Allen and Denby Taylor would be very very welcome too. If Prespakis nominates all of Victoria then we're in with a decent show at drafting at least 3-4 of those girls (plus others) ..

Morrison and Purcell were in our top 3 possession winners yesterday, alongside Cranston.

Morrison and Purcell were in our top 3 possession winners yesterday, alongside Cranston.

Watched the game again last night (I missed the first quarter yesterday) and Purcell actually had a lot more impact than I initially thought - gutsy player, she's only pretty slight but she goes like a bull at a gate; very quick reactions to either get a clearance or wrap up an opponent. Kicked a nice goal too ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back