MRP / Trib. Mitch Duncan bump on Robbie Fox discussion - not sure of report yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There really isn't any way around it I'm afraid unless what I stated above happens.

Situations like Duncan's - even though the player involved wasn't concussed - Is avoidable. He simply chose to bump and collected Fox high. It now comes down the grading. It's either a fine or 1 week.

I'm not confident he'll escape suspension unfortunately.

As you said, contact can't be eliminated without destroying the very fabric of the game. Removing the contact would render the game unwatchable.

I think Duncan's in trouble too, but hopefully he escapes with a fine.

I assume youre talking about fox because he was the one that bumped.
I'm not sure what footage you were watching. It's not the same one I was.

Trouble is, there seems to be a belief in some quarters that concussion can be legislated out of the game.

Then the game is run by morons, like how in wider circumstances society is run by morons. We should all demand better.

I'm not sure what footage you were watching. It's not the same one I was.

I can assure you if you think duncan bumped then you're either not watching the actual footage or your eyes are deceiving you. That is not a bump.

I can assure you if you think duncan bumped then you're either not watching the actual footage or your eyes are deceiving you. That is not a bump.
I'm wearing glasses so it's magnified for me. You can borrow mine if you like and watch it again. 😁

I'm not sure the MRO will see it that way. They'll see Duncan brace, and then they'll see Fox's head hit the ground violently.

They'll join those two dots, and then......who knows?!

If people genuinely thought he had a case to answer, either a Richmond or Hawthorn fan would have started up a thread on the umpiring, MRO board within 5 seconds of the incident happening. They haven't.

I'm not sure the MRO will see it that way. They'll see Duncan brace, and then they'll see Fox's head hit the ground violently.

They'll join those two dots, and then......who knows?!

Thats fools logic. A brace is not a bump.
You want to see a bump watch stewart hitting prestia 10 times over (which was not ok).
This footage is not that-duncan is looking down at the ball until the last second (if you freeze frame it you can see it) which is fine, he looks up at the last second at which he realises fox has gone past the ball and is about to run through him, he braces for contact which is biomechanically all he can do (if he doesnt hes injured). That is not a bump.
He doesnt have any other way to contest the ball than what he did (hint he is choosing to contest the ball not bump).

Thats fools logic. A brace is not a bump.
You want to see a bump watch stewart hitting prestia 10 times over (which was not ok).
This footage is not that-duncan is looking down at the ball until the last second (if you freeze frame it you can see it) which is fine, he looks up at the last second at which he realises fox has gone past the ball and is about to run through him, he braces for contact which is biomechanically all he can do (if he doesnt hes injured). That is not a bump.
He doesnt have any other way to contest the ball than what he did (hint he is choosing to contest the ball not bump).

Their eye will be drawn by the contact, and then the sight of the head hitting the turf violently.

Who knows how they'll interpret that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a player gets suspended because another player a) misses the ball and b) trips over into them, then I’m missing something. All Duncan did was brace to protect himself from the oncoming uncoordinated player who had themselves made impact after going PAST the ball! If that player was sufficiently coordinated they would have braced for the impact with Duncan, but they weren’t. If they were, we’d be talking about a player going past the ball and making impact with Duncan! Duncan was going towards the ball!

If Duncan gets cited it’s ridiculous.

I’m all for protecting the head (I even believe Howe owed Stengle a duty of care and should not have cannoned into his head), but this one is surely a media beat up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The MRO is a very blunt assessment tool. Was there contact? Was there contact to the head? How hard was it? Was it entirely accidental?

These assessments are plugged into the matrix and an outcome is decided. So expect a report and a sanction from the MRO because Duncan braces (bumps) Fox in the head with some force. The good news to this point is Fox wasn’t hurt so it won’t attract the higher grading on force.

The interesting part is the tribunal and this is where the arguments everyone is making get made - Fox ran past the ball, Fox slipped over, Duncan had no other alternative, etc. Duncan has a good case here, although with rampant concussion phobia right now who knows what the tribunal will decide.

Not a chance in hell he gets off that. He will get a week. Do I agree with it? No, but that's the way it is now. Big games against an improved Essendon outfit and he will be missed.

The MRO is a very blunt assessment tool. Was there contact? Was there contact to the head? How hard was it? Was it entirely accidental?

These assessments are plugged into the matrix and an outcome is decided. So expect a report and a sanction from the MRO because Duncan braces (bumps) Fox in the head with some force. The good news to this point is Fox wasn’t hurt so it won’t attract the higher grading on force.

The interesting part is the tribunal and this is where the arguments everyone is making get made - Fox ran past the ball, Fox slipped over, Duncan had no other alternative, etc. Duncan has a good case here, although with rampant concussion phobia right now who knows what the tribunal will decide.

Well articulated.

Somewhere amongst all that I expect 'the potential for serious injury' to be thrown in too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back