News Monky has Max jumping through hoops

Remove this Banner Ad

Max Bailey after 50 games will be a gun. Max Bailey after 100 games will be ALL-AUSTRALIAN. There's a reason why the Hawks have been itching to get this bloke's body right and on the field.

When you think about how little football Max has played since he was drafted it's amazing to think that he's come into the side and competed well against the best rucks in the competition. Yes he's only a couple of months off being 25, but he's played just 16 AFL games (with only a handful of VFL games to go with that).

Martin Flanagan, I think, once wrote that footy, ultimately, is a game based on moving a ball through a crowded space, and basketball is its next of kin.

The other "footballs", i.e. soccer, rugby and gridiron, are games based on maintaining territory.

While the thrust of the article is about improving agility, there could be other benefits our big fellas get out of it. Namely, good decision making and quick ball movement.

Martin Flanagan, I think, once wrote that footy, ultimately, is a game based on moving a ball through a crowded space, and basketball is its next of kin.

The other "footballs", i.e. soccer, rugby and gridiron, are games based on maintaining territory.

Soccer isn't a game of territory, it's a game of possession.

You can gain a heap of territory with one long ball in soccer by kicking it out for a throw in right on the opposition goal line but it doesn't ultimately achieve much, do the same in rugby and you've got them really under the pump.

Soccer is just as much about moving the ball through a crowded space and has evolved much like aussie rules as a sport where the counter attack has become one of the most profitable ways to score as the space isn't quite as crowded as usual.

Soccer isn't a game of territory, it's a game of possession.

You can gain a heap of territory with one long ball in soccer by kicking it out for a throw in right on the opposition goal line but it doesn't ultimately achieve much, do the same in rugby and you've got them really under the pump.

Soccer is just as much about moving the ball through a crowded space and has evolved much like aussie rules as a sport where the counter attack has become one of the most profitable ways to score as the space isn't quite as crowded as usual.

Thanks Dipper, and I get the point you're making. Mine was a broad generalisation in very general terms. Generally speaking.

But that's the only way we can compare different sports. Afterall, if they were all played the same way they'd be the same game.

Whenever I get bored enough to watch soccer on the TV, I can't help but think it's about shuffling the ball towards goal until you're in a position to take a shot, although there are moments when a player unleashes a sublime pass to a another running into space, which is when that particular game is at its best.

Interesting the mention of soccer, as most pundits looking at our game plan this year are talking up the similarities to soccer - ie: maintaining possession of the pill.

That said, I think you're right, there will be a wide range of benefits to getting the boys playing basketball, including movement, quick thinking and peripheral vision.

Good initiative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back