2nds Mooney (moved out of the Yagmoor thread)

What do you think will happen to Mooney at season's end?

• Promoted to seniors

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Retained on rookie list

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Delist

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting the discussion on here about game sense/awareness. The advantage of playing footy from a young age is obvious. You see footage of young indigenous kids who just seem to get it. (I hear one of Bucks' youngsters really loves a footy :)). Surely its the coaches job to teach it, and as others have said, to put Moons into positions where he can better learn it? He got senior games last year when our injuries severely tested our depth. This year the injuries were maybe not as bad, and our depth much better. Its therefore difficult to really judge his progress based on his very limited senior exposure this year. In the VFL games I've seen this season, he was OK without making much of an impact. But maybe his blistering speed, combined with another year in our development system, will pay off. I'd prefer to keep him.

Let's not dismiss Black Caviar, she's retired, so won't cost much. Kicking from both back legs is good but I worry about the front left. I guess the problem is she'll struggle to run out 3200m, no tank.
David B invented the high rotation strategy for just such a player. Typically, just when we are about to take full advantage the AFL limit the strategy. Luckily the draft isn't until after the Melbourne Cup.

You just go to be patient with Mooney he is going to be very good imo. From what I've seen of him in the VFL, he struggles to find the footy but when he does he is capable of doing some very high level stuff.

Kicking - good, marking good, clean hands, athleticism - elite. In terms of his skill level you couldn't ask for much more given it's his second season of AFL. I think the immediate expectations from some about the impact of imports is pretty unrealistic. It took Pierce Hanley until his 4th year to play regularly and he is the best recent Irish recruit.

It's interesting how they'll continue trying to develop him going into next season. His athleticism means he is capable of playing all over the park. I can understand starting him in the forwardline because of our emphasis on forward pressure and also his athleticism is unique which in the future could make him a significant forward threat. The problem is that playing as a deep forward is a really intuitive position and even players who have been playing the game their whole life have difficulty adjusting to the position. Not to mention that being ineffective down there is the fast track to destroying a young players confidence.

Assuming his endurance is up to it, I think using him as a tagger on the oppositions best outside mid might be an idea. It would probably fast track his development and the best way to build a two way player is by teaching them the defensive aspects first. The same would also apply if he were moved into the backline however I think you learn more playing on the best midfielders opposed to the best small forwards.

Interesting the discussion on here about game sense/awareness. The advantage of playing footy from a young age is obvious. You see footage of young indigenous kids who just seem to get it. (I hear one of Bucks' youngsters really loves a footy :)). Surely its the coaches job to teach it, and as others have said, to put Moons into positions where he can better learn it? He got senior games last year when our injuries severely tested our depth. This year the injuries were maybe not as bad, and our depth much better. Its therefore difficult to really judge his progress based on his very limited senior exposure this year. In the VFL games I've seen this season, he was OK without making much of an impact. But maybe his blistering speed, combined with another year in our development system, will pay off. I'd prefer to keep him.

Agree VP, there is still a strong chance it will pay off so no reason I can see why we wouldn't keep him.

Agree with others saying that the forward position might not be right for him.

If anything, that position probably requires the greatest amount of football intuition and smarts.

Needs to take a good long look at Steven Hill's game - love watching that guy run down a wing - looks so smooth (sounding like Bruce now)

Back