List Mgmt. Morning, Joe! (was The Daniher (Probably Mega-)thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't twist the narrative. You know having 2 players who can't get on the park while on significant contracts isn't a good thing.
Having 2 players on an injury list is actually a pretty good thing. Considering most other clubs have injury lists 4 times longer than ours.

1. We don’t have any idea how long the proposed contract to Daniher will be, and whether it will be incentive based (most bloody likely). We’re not going to upset all the progress we’ve made with our list to waste it on over spending on one player.

2. It is not comparable to the Fevola situation at all considering what we gave up to get him. Fevola of course was more durable and coming off a Coleman year but he was contracted and 29 by the time he played his first match with us. Daniher is a RFA and 26.

3. Adams still has another couple of years to get right. In terms of stymying Payne’s development.. Adams is not exactly taking Payne’s spot atm. And regardless, if Adams wasn’t here, Josh Walker would still be.

4. We’ve got the runs on the board in terms of rehabbing injury-riddled players so you’d back what our team had to say on JD. He will get a proper going over before anything is put to him on paper.

5. We’re now run by some extremely professional operators who won’t get sucked into any of Dodoro’s posturing. We’ll be reasonable as we always are at the table but Joe is a FA and I’m sure we’ve got plans for those late first rounders. I reckon our picks will look completely different anyway before we even discuss Joe.

6. I’m not sure how Alex Witherden features in the conversation.

Adams season ended due to a fracture unrelated to his previous injuries. Was on track to returning this year. I reckon he'll be fit to play in 2021 and will surprise some here.

If our medical team back Joe in, then I'll back them in to make the right call.

Don't twist the narrative. You know having 2 players who can't get on the park while on significant contracts isn't a good thing.

What is the evidence that Adams is on a significant contract?

I though his length of term was probably a bit long, and I didn't love the trade we made for him. But I've seen no evidence we have given him a lot $ wise, though I assume he is on above afl average wage.

This is the same club that thought Adams would get up, and we know how that turned out. Their information isn't always correct, and the risk shouldn't be taken.
It isn't fair to mention Adams and not also McCarthy and Burchall, both of whom have been successes in terms of their rehabilitation from injury. What information do you say we had that wasn't correct that you say should have warned us off Adams? It's not as if he has had a recurrence of an old injury. There is no such thing as a totally risk free trade, whether it be from the point of view of injury, form or behaviour.

I just don't think we need Daniher. IMHO we should be looking for a key central defender to release Harris Andrews to play Full Forward. Andrews is the best mark in the team, great long kick, great decision maker and leader. His talents are wasted punching the ball into the stands. The sooner we get young Payne up to speed, the better. I'm not a subscriber to the "Andrews is a great Center half back" and that's all he is......remember back in the early 2000s when we had the 4 best full forwards in the league playing in one team. Lynch, Brown, Bradshaw and Leppitch..........anyway I'm banging on.6

Replacing Harris skills wise is doable, but his leadership and calmness under pressure aren’t as easy.

Reckon the Bombers are going to be pretty busy this trade period without adding a whole bunch of extra complications with Daniher. Very well might be a lot easier for them to just let it happen.

My hope is the hill that Essendon choose to die on is the Saad trade and that we can get something done fairly quickly

Daniher will be done quick. They'll accept the FA offer. Much bigger fish to fry than a guy who has tried to leave several times now.

Since Fagan and Noble have come on board there isn't a single player we've brought in that hasn't performed.

Charlie Cameron, Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons, Lincoln McCarthy, Grant Birchall, Luke Hodge, Callum Ah Chee - have all added to the team immeasurably. Cam Ellis-Yolmen and Marcus Adams the only ones with question marks and even then I'd say Ellis-Yolmen has provided very good depth for the squad when needed and Adams extremely unlucky with injury while certainly looked the goods when he got on the park.

That's an unbelievable strike rate when it comes to recruiting. Which includes players who looked to maybe never get a proper run-at-it due to injury.

Then add to the fact the players brought in 27 years old and under have all gotten better. Cameron, Neale and Lyons have shown career best form. Ah Chee and McCarthy have shown improvement with plenty more to come.

And to my surprise people are questioning bringing in Joe Daniher. A game winning forward, arguably one of the best and most exciting players in the comp when he's up and about.

You people astound me.

Get. Joe.

I just watched the highlights from his return game against the Hawks, he looked ok to me.
What a talent, get him loving the game again and being out of the spotlight and it's bloody exciting times ahead.

The club must just get it done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the same club that thought Adams would get up, and we know how that turned out. Their information isn't always correct, and the risk shouldn't be taken.

And Christensen, and McCarthy, and Birchall, and even Answerth.

The groin surgery he had is a last resort but nearly always successful. They put a fibre support in there or something along those lines, he has just finished rehabbing it. We are not taking someone with a wrecked groin. Having said that, he has been susceptible to general injury concerns, it is a risk.

And Christensen, and McCarthy, and Birchall, and even Answerth.
Christensen played 46 games in his last 3 years in Geelong. Surely you're not comparing that to Joe's 8 games in his last 3 years? And Birchall wasn't given a 5 year contract, neither was McCarthy. I said I wouldn't have an issue it the contract was shorter, but you can't pretend that signing an injury plagued footballer for 5 years is a good idea, because it isn't. We haven't done anything comparable to this in the past and neither have the other bigger clubs because they knew better. I firmly believe we can do better than daniher and I hope we don't sign him. And I know I'm not the only 1 here who believes this

Adams season ended due to a fracture unrelated to his previous injuries. Was on track to returning this year. I reckon he'll be fit to play in 2021 and will surprise some here.

If our medical team back Joe in, then I'll back them in to make the right call.

Unless it's career threatening; you'd expect Adams to be battling the likes of Lester and Payne for the hybrid / 3rd tall come round 1, 2021.

If he was fit, he'd be taking Tomahawk this Saturday night.

Had 19p 10 marks in the 1pt win against Geelong last year. Hawkins didn't kick a goal.

The groin surgery he had is a last resort but nearly always successful. They put a fibre support in there or something along those lines, he has just finished rehabbing it. We are not taking someone with a wrecked groin. Having said that, he has been susceptible to general injury concerns, it is a risk.

Like you mentioned, the adductor release surgery he had generally gets pretty good results. From memory they did a small retrospective study of 30 or so NCAA/NFL gridiron players and only 1-2 didn't feel like they returned to their previous performance levels, with no statistically significant difference pre/post surgery in performance or games played amongst the NFL players. Admittedly the biomechanics of playing aussie rules is different to gridiron.

Apart from the ongoing groin issue and the calf strain he had this year, I can't remember many other injury issues.

If you look at the three injury plagued players we traded in
Adams was injured when we traded him and now injured again.
The other two (Birchall and McCarthy ) like Daniher been not able to get on the park.
Although came to the club fit and reading for a preseason.
Birchall recovered from a knee end of 2019 season played a few games then did a hammy.
McCarthy was almost called back to play finals 2018
So even though injured plagued they where ready and the medical team kept them fit
Which we hope we can do for Joe.

Christensen played 46 games in his last 3 years in Geelong. Surely you're not comparing that to Joe's 8 games in his last 3 years? And Birchall wasn't given a 5 year contract, neither was McCarthy. I said I wouldn't have an issue it the contract was shorter, but you can't pretend that signing an injury plagued footballer for 5 years is a good idea, because it isn't. We haven't done anything comparable to this in the past and neither have the other bigger clubs because they knew better. I firmly believe we can do better than daniher and I hope we don't sign him. And I know I'm not the only 1 here who believes this
Why do you keep banging home this narrative ? None of us know what his potential contract terms are. Have your opinion fine, but no need for 15 of the same posts, albeit written differently.
You talk as its definitive(5 year contract)
It may only be 3 plus triggers?? Trust the gents in the know.

Unless it's career threatening; you'd expect Adams to be battling the likes of Lester and Payne for the hybrid / 3rd tall come round 1, 2021.

If he was fit, he'd be taking Tomahawk this Saturday night.

Had 19p 10 marks in the 1pt win against Geelong last year. Hawkins didn't kick a goal.

10 Coaches votes too.

Why do you keep banging home this narrative ? None of us know what his potential contract terms are. Have your opinion fine, but no need for 15 of the same posts, albeit written differently.
You talk as its definitive(5 year contract)
It may only be 3 plus triggers?? Trust the gents in the know.

I have stated my thoughts relatively clearly. We don't need daniher. There isn't a narrative here, just an opinion. We're not the same club like we were in 2014, and we can do better than an injury prone player who may or may not make it to the park.

I would rather back our own players rather than bring in a potential cog in the wheel. The extra money will also keep players like rayner, witherden, mcluggage and starc contracted for years to come.

I have stated my thoughts relatively clearly. We don't need daniher. There isn't a narrative here, just an opinion. We're not the same club like we were in 2014, and we can do better than an injury prone player who may or may not make it to the park.

I would rather back our own players rather than bring in a potential cog in the wheel. The extra money will also keep players like rayner, witherden, mcluggage and starc contracted for years to come.
The way I see it, most have said this year, including myself, that we need another contested mark in the forward line and around the ground and some more ruck depth.
2 birds one stone.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back