Analysis Centre Bounce/Wing Attendance Megathread 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Gardiner seems to be the new Gunston in terms of playing as a defensive winger late in quarters. Becoming a mult-dimensional footballer in his later years, Darcy.

View attachment 1953343

View attachment 1953345
Indeed. Saw him start at the defensive end of the centre square at the final centre bounce of both the first 2 quarters as you've highlighted.

While I'm much more comfortable with him playing this role than Gunston, I still very much question the rationale of doing this in either quarter on Friday when both times we had just kicked a goal ourselves and had momentum.

Interesting stuff on the Shinboner today about our team structure partly using data from this thread.

Very nice shoutout to this thread in the post as well!

A quick sample for those who haven't signed up and why you should - tracking every team's actual line up on a weekly basis, indicating changes:

1712753172596.png

For us - can clearly see the switch in rounds 3-4 with Zorks going back and Berry not being involved at all in defence.

These lineups available for every team in the linked post above and a ton of work/analysis to read on some particular teams.

I'm now realising that I should probably re-organise the CBA percentage numbers so they reflect the fact that four players can attend the one bounce ala DFS Australia site. Might redo all these to reflect that next week sometime if I have a spare moment.

WA 2024 - Round 5.png
CBA 2024 - Round 5.png

I'm now realising that I should probably re-organise the CBA percentage numbers so they reflect the fact that four players can attend the one bounce ala DFS Australia site. Might redo all these to reflect that next week sometime if I have a spare moment.

View attachment 1958827
View attachment 1958828
Interesting to note Dizzy did not start on the wing at any centre bounce. Did you see from our setups whether any of our wingers lined up at the defensive end of the centre square late in quarters?

Interesting to note Dizzy did not start on the wing at any centre bounce. Did you see from our setups whether any of our wingers lined up at the defensive end of the centre square late in quarters?
Not sure that happened but can't say for certain.
Fagan really only sent Rayner, Gunston, Dizzy when we were under a fair bit of opposition pressure late in the quarter.
That really was not the case v Demons except the last 8 minutes of Q4 i suppose.
But the game was won at that stage.

Im pretty sure I saw Dizzy pop up with the ball in the backline at some point late in a quarter. But I feel that was more in general play rather than from a centre bounce.
He did drop back at least twice that I noticed in different quarters, but yes both were in general play.

I thought i would have a look at the % CBA for certain players since Ashcroft was injured in 2023.
Those being Rayner, McCluggage, Bailey, Dev, Zorko
Excluded the rucks and our main two mids in Neal and Dunkley as they probably stayed a similar %.

Comparing rounds 20 to 28 (GF) from 2023. Lyons % are mostly from being sub and i wanted to mostly have him out of the mix.
To Rounds 3,4 & 5 of 2024. This excludes Lyons and Zorko was moved to half back. Only 3 rounds but a guide.

Rounds (Year)Rayner McCluggageBaileyDevZorko
R 20-28 (2023) % CBA's Attended10%49%27%11%22%
R 3-5 (2024) % CBA's Attended33%64%31%4%0%
Increase/Decrease % from 2023+23%+15%+4%-7%-22%
1713139060918.png
1713138841612.png

I'm such a nuffie, never read this thread because I always assumed it was a bunch of people who sit together on a wing at the GABBA discussing meet up plans etc

You fool, everyone knows ZoBlitz sits behind the goals.

He did drop back at least twice that I noticed in different quarters, but yes both were in general play.

Was this towards the end of the quarters when we slowed things down? Because Thursday night was the first time we seemed to pull it off in a competent fashion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't re-organised the percentages like I said I would. I was mildly irritated that despite the low number of goals the lack of correct goal highlights, camera direction not always giving me a full shot of the wingers and the live scores being on the bottom left and thereby being covered by the video controls in Kayo made the process take longer than it should have.
WA 2024 - Round 6.png
CBA 2024 - Round 6.png

Thanks for the time and effort you put into these figures ZoBlitz
Because of the wet the goals were reduced certainly on the Lions part. That in turn reduces the CBA numbers.
There were 100 hit outs for the game.
With only the 13 goals scored plus 4 bounces to start each quarter that's 17 center bounces.
That makes the around the ground stoppage number 84.

A separate post coming on that soon.
Rather than sidetrack this thread i put it into the Statistics and Analytics Thread

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back