Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Blatantly unfair. Nobody rates him that highly but he at least gives 100% and has a go. There are plenty of players in the league who fail even that most basic test.
Adelaide Advertiser, yesterday: Ben Keays ... is one of the AFL’s best modern career revivals ... promoted to the leadership group and, as of this week, earnt a contract extension until 2027.

I dispute that he has a 100% go. He picks and chooses when to go, averages a clanger every fifth possession with the Crows, is woefully inaccurate in front of goal, gives away crucial free kicks and - as of last year - isn't even tackling anymore.

I call BS on "best modern career revival", his "contract extension until 2027" (what were they thinking?) and if that's the Crows' "leadership", they're in trouble.

Adelaide Advertiser, yesterday: Ben Keays ... is one of the AFL’s best modern career revivals ... promoted to the leadership group and, as of this week, earnt a contract extension until 2027.

I dispute that he has a 100% go. He picks and chooses when to go, averages a clanger every fifth possession with the Crows, is woefully inaccurate in front of goal, gives away crucial free kicks and - as of last year - isn't even tackling anymore.

I call BS on "best modern career revival", his "contract extension until 2027" (what were they thinking?) and if that's the Crows' "leadership", they're in trouble.
Carlton supporters would dispute this…..

Ok well if you are going to use clickbaiting journalism as your basis you've already lost the plot.

Ok well if you are going to use clickbaiting journalism as your basis you've already lost the plot.
Dude ... that's the very definition of how players get overrated. Just admit that you claimed he wasn't overrated and I literally found you him being overrated within the previous 24 hours.

Dude ... that's the very definition of how players get overrated. Just admit that you claimed he wasn't overrated and I literally found you him being overrated within the previous 24 hours.

I can admit I claimed he wasn't overrated because it happened 3 posts ago. What an odd request.

You've linked me to a story about him recontracting off the back of a great game of footy. Wtf do you expect them to write "Mediocre footballer Ben Keays signs contract extension"?

They are referencing the fact he was a delisted player (who rarely ever successfully get a second chance) who has managed to not only hold a best 22 spot but be in a leadership group. Find me many other delisted players like that and I'll be stunned. I haven't read the article but if that's all you have then pure fact is now somehow overrated?

Noone is claiming he is a superstar of the game.

Come back to me when you have regular articles about him being a superstar.

I can admit I claimed he wasn't overrated because it happened 3 posts ago. What an odd request.

You've linked me to a story about him recontracting off the back of a great game of footy. Wtf do you expect them to write "Mediocre footballer Ben Keays signs contract extension"?

They are referencing the fact he was a delisted player (who rarely ever successfully get a second chance) who has managed to not only hold a best 22 spot but be in a leadership group. Find me many other delisted players like that and I'll be stunned. I haven't read the article but if that's all you have then pure fact is now somehow overrated?

Noone is claiming he is a superstar of the game.

Come back to me when you have regular articles about him being a superstar.
Agree with this.

Keays is just an honest battler, and has done well to get this far particularly as a DFA.

I don't think anyone rates him that highly. He has flashes that he could be something more than he is, but every club has those players.

He's similar to Brandan Parfitt for us. Getting the absolute most out of what he he's got, which is admirable IMO.

If you could put Keays work and effort into Rachele, you'd have a serious superstar of the competition.

Harry Sheezel.

Racks up a bunch of meaningless footy (plenty of kick ins), chips it sideways and backwards, loves a 1-2 that takes the team nowhere.

Stats will tell you he’s an elite half back flanker but he is doing 0 to move North towards a win. Clarko will tell you it’s all apart of his development but he is doing very little actual defensive work.

Time to move him forward and make the most of his X factor and talent. The best players change games and fortunes and he can be that level of player.
Problem with moving Sheezel forward is that then leaves the likes of Corr, Scott and Luke MacDonald doing your kick outs. They are all fine exponents of butchering the ball with either direct passes to the opposition, or executing hospital balls for their team mates. So Sheezel would be lucky to see the pill in a game and would be wasted. Once our Defense is sorted out (Logue return from ACL, Bergman and others to settle in) then you can release Sheezel into any other position on the ground to do his thing. I think criteria for this board is 4 years in the system, or a minimum 50 games into your career. Sheezel has under 30 games, and all 17 other clubs would take him in a heartbeat if offered.

Established - Jy Simpkin. Probably not so now as he’s becoming less rated. Never seen a guy miss more straight forward 15-20m kicks. Kills all momentum of his team time and time again. It’s damning that North’s two captains would struggle to hold a spot in any other team. And signed until 2029!!

Young - Mattaes Phillipou. Can talk a big game but has yet to show anything resembling elite quality. Jogs alongside the play waiting for a cheap gift.
Now sure if it’s the head knocks (3 in last 12 months) or the luxury of a fat contract. But his performance has dipped to a level where it’s hard to justify a position in the side. Last week against Geelong was a low point. Hope he can get back to his Syd Barker level seasons.

Good call on PhillaPOO - all interviews in pre-draft he talked up a huge game. Have seen very little to support it to date.

Problem with moving Sheezel forward is that then leaves the likes of Corr, Scott and Luke MacDonald doing your kick outs. They are all fine exponents of butchering the ball with either direct passes to the opposition, or executing hospital balls for their team mates. So Sheezel would be lucky to see the pill in a game and would be wasted. Once our Defense is sorted out (Logue return from ACL, Bergman and others to settle in) then you can release Sheezel into any other position on the ground to do his thing. I think criteria for this board is 4 years in the system, or a minimum 50 games into your career. Sheezel has under 30 games, and all 17 other clubs would take him in a heartbeat if offered.

Sheezel would be Carlton’s best forward not named McKay or Curnow if he rocked up this afternoon. Of course 17 clubs would take him in an instant. He’s a gun.

Hopefully he can show his skills up the ground soon. For now he can carry my SuperCoach defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harrison ‘hand me a tissue’ Petty.

Completely overrated by Melbourne fans.
May actually be the worst forward in the game.
Was deplorable as a forward once again last night.
Let's be honest, he's a defender whose playing forward because Melbourne don't need him in defence and have zero tall forwards that are any good.

Is Lachie Neale overrated or underrated?

He was legit 1 vote off 3 Brownlows in 4 years. And it was because of the contentious Cripps call.

There's a noisy crowd of Swans fans who are calling Will Hayward the most overrated at the club

Not sure I agree, but now that Heeney has properly broken out I suppose they needed another target

Remove this Banner Ad

Back