Player Watch Nick Murray

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2021: Adelaide recruit Nick Murray’s ‘incredible’ rise from country footy to newest Crow
He was out on the tractor at Yerong Creek late last year when he got the call from Adelaide’s national recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie that the Crows wanted him at West Lakes to be a train-on player ahead of the 2021 season.

Interestingly Murray signing a contract with the Crows should have come a lot earlier than Sunday.

The now 20-year-old had his bags packed when the 2019 Draft rolled around, with a strong indication that he would be picked up by the Crows with a late pick.

“His attack on the footy was kamikaze like.

“When he played footy he just attacked everything, we were playing in an elimination final last year and he broke his collarbone.

The first rule of Hamish is that there must be a KPD in every window.

The second rule of Hamish is that there must be a Tasmanian in every window.

Failing both rules in a single window would have been unprecedented.
Reasonably cynical views shouldn’t have gravity. In our club they do. Hey

A very unassuming player but seems quite handy. Really keen to see how he progresses throughout the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like it. Has a lot of interesting tools for a KPD, is competitive, good overhead, quite fast for his size. I’ve been harsh on him at times, but I’ve come around

One thing’s for sure - the 2023 cuts are gonna be interesting, given we seem to be signing so many players until that year. I suspect we’ll know who’s going to be Best 22 going forward and who won’t be out of our current young brigade by then

I've liked his form in the SANFL, not so much in the AFL. I suppose if I'm willing to accept McAsey as a slow burn, I'll have to do the same for Murray.

I've liked his form in the SANFL, not so much in the AFL. I suppose if I'm willing to accept McAsey as a slow burn, I'll have to do the same for Murray.

he is going to be a player. Like his attack on the ball and ability to mark and spoil Can counter attack and will only get better as his confidence improves Good move by the club.

Last edited:
He still looks pretty nervous at AFL level. Last week after he gave away a high contact free to Daniher he then became hesitant about applying body contact.

Similarly with his kicking, at SANFL level he kicks it 55+ but seems to poke at it at AFL level. Hopefully he settles a bit now he's got a bit more job security.

I'm okay with it but not overly excited. I think one more year would of been enough but it doesn't really seem like clubs like to do one year extensions unless the player is at the end of his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back