Preview NAB CUP - Hawthorn vs West Coast vs Fremantle. Sun 13th, Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Renouf needs to spend the next 3 months doing some kicking drills. That ball drop of his is like my daughter's and she's 5. I know that was a terrible comment but geez the boy can't kick for nuts. If you are a footballer at the elite level you have to be able to kick the thing half decent. He tries hard and shows a lot of heart and really put his hand up last year but and its a big but if his kicking doesn't improve he will be overtaken quite quickly by Bailey if fit, Lowden and Grimley. Just hope for the kids sake he spends a lot more time focussing on it

It is more about him lacking body size to give a consistent competitive effort at stoppages for mine. While he is tallish, he struggles in the strength department. If he had a big strong body and was able to do a bit more bullying at stoppages and give us more certainty I would be less worried about his skills.

It is more about him lacking body size to give a consistent competitive effort at stoppages for mine. While he is tallish, he struggles in the strength department. If he had a big strong body and was able to do a bit more bullying at stoppages and give us more certainty I would be less worried about his skills.

RR What you have written above compounds his problems. I have seen both Lowden and Bailey kick the ball recently and last year. The issue then becomes well he isn't really competing in the ruck not the best kick in the world shows heart but do we have another option? Given the competition of spots this year (Hoperfully) it will be interesting to see.

Renouf is more an honest trier with a big heart than a ruck that can dominate. I admire him for the amount of responsibility he took on early last season, in addition to that I thought his contested marking improved enormously, given that in 2009 he was still pretty poor overhead.

However, as a total package, he would have to be feeling the heat from Hale and Bailey. If those two are fit and firing I cannot see a place in the side for him. The bizarre thing is that the delisted Wayde Skipper would be a far better bet if you were going to stack the side with three Ruckmen, at least his field kicking and creativity made him more of a utility than Renouf.

Seeing the woeful set shot 'drop the ball and hope' kicking style effectively cost us the game against WC, I feel he has not progressed his skills since being a raw (and lucky) ruckman in 2008. Obviously the NAB cup doesn't really matter, but failure to execute this basic skill could easily cost us a game in the real season.

Renouf is more an honest trier with a big heart than a ruck that can dominate. I admire him for the amount of responsibility he took on early last season, in addition to that I thought his contested marking improved enormously, given that in 2009 he was still pretty poor overhead.

However, as a total package, he would have to be feeling the heat from Hale and Bailey. If those two are fit and firing I cannot see a place in the side for him. The bizarre thing is that the delisted Wayde Skipper would be a far better bet if you were going to stack the side with three Ruckmen, at least his field kicking and creativity made him more of a utility than Renouf.

Seeing the woeful set shot 'drop the ball and hope' kicking style effectively cost us the game against WC, I feel he has not progressed his skills since being a raw (and lucky) ruckman in 2008. Obviously the NAB cup doesn't really matter, but failure to execute this basic skill could easily cost us a game in the real season.

Absolutely spot on. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

He,s still growing isn't he ?

Hawks V Freo V WCE

Watched the tripple game last weekend , I have one word for the Hawks.
DEPTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH, and Yeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:)

More to the point, where were our blokes running past him asking for the handball?????!!!!!! Suckling is a specialty at it at Box Hill - I cannot believe not one of our players even called for the handball. Dumb football.

Not an overly massive concern; it will rarely eventuate in a season.

Though, it's disappointing at AFL that any player doesn't know how to line up a goal. Everyone on our list should practice set shots for goal to some degree and be instructed on a routine, even a basic one.

More to the point, where were our blokes running past him asking for the handball?????!!!!!! Suckling is a specialty at it at Box Hill - I cannot believe not one of our players even called for the handball. Dumb football.
Completely agree. Most/All of the players on the field are better kicks than him, dissappointing not one of the other 17 blokes took the initiative to get the handball off him. :eek:

Not an overly massive concern; it will rarely eventuate in a season.

Though, it's disappointing at AFL that any player doesn't know how to line up a goal. Everyone on our list should practice set shots for goal to some degree and be instructed on a routine, even a basic one.

Putting on my coaches hat here.....Renouf's problems are mainly caused by a bad ball drop. I'm surprised it hasn't been corrected as yet.

Good point, handing it off to anybody would have probably produced a better result. Perhaps there were so many newbies in the side they had no idea what his goalkicking ability was like.

I suppose when a regular first team player is 35 metres out from goal and is only on a slight angle, you're thinking than he can kick the goal.

I certainly was.

:eek:

Same!! He got a 50 metre penalty, I think the other players would have expected he had a descent chance of snaring it! Plus as you said although youngish in age is considered a senior player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back