Retired #42: Nathan Lovett-Murray - Off to become Australia's George Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don't want him to throw any tonight. It'll just be received ala Alistair Lynch as an old hasbeen with nothing else to give, a pretty sad end. He deserves better than that.

What I want to see him do is just attack the contest with the ferocity hes capable of. Big tackles, huge hits and bumps, shades of Kerr and Pettifer. He's very good at that. No need for fists.

Unless its Jake King, then go for your life natrat :thumbsu:

Taken from 3AW twitter

JUST IN: Essendon has just released a statement saying Nathan Lovett-Murray has voluntarily admitted himself into a rehab clinic.

Lovett-Murray "has recently been working through a number of health issues and decided to seek treatment for an alcohol related problem."

Unable to locate a thread about NLM so thought I'd start this one.

Hope for a full recovery from an ex Essendon champion.

Strange timing, might just have gone on a 2 and a half month bender since retiring.

Hope he gets himself right, has a lot of kids that look upto him!

A bit disappointing really as I always saw him as a good role model, that said we have no idea what his personal circumstances are so best not to make any judgments.

I don't know if it's really a shock or disappointment. The guy was recently stabbed. There's no telling what sort of mental effect that could have on a person. Those domestic issues, coupled with dealing with not being an AFL player anymore could built up in the form of anxiety and depression. All we can do is wish him the best for a speedy recovery and hope to see him back doing what he does best. Being a leader for the indigenous players and community.

The thread on the Carlton board is all class at the moment.

Syds.
The depths some people will go to be 'funny', eh.

Don't bother engaging them, though. The comments just reflect on what truly s**t individuals some people are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts with NatRat during this tough time. Loved him at the club and hope he returns in some capacity

FORMER Bombers star Nathan Lovett-Murray has opened up about being stabbed, a battle with alcohol that forced him into rehab, and a new life after football.

"I've worked extremely hard for the things I've got," Lovett-Murray, 31, told the Sunday Herald Sun.

"My eyes are wide open now. I'm extremely grateful for all the opportunities that have come my way."

In a candid and wideranging interview to promote his rap label, Payback Records, and its involvement in the upcoming Melbourne Indigenous Arts Festival, Lovett-Murray said surviving those off-field incidents had inspired him to mentor troubled souls.

He also revealed:

THE knife that stabbed him was centimetres away from killing him.

HIS six-year-long fight with alcohol dependence.

BEING haunted about hitting rock bottom while in rehab.

"Rehab wasn't easy," Lovett Murray said.

"It showed me a side of what could happen if you do hit rock bottom and lose everything. I really don't want to get to that place."

The midfielder, who played 145 games for Essendon, checked into rehab last November, two months after he retired from the AFL.

"To be honest, I've always known I've had a problem with alcohol," he said.

"Six years ago, it got to a stage where I wanted to do something about it.

"I'm lucky I had an uncle who had been 18 years sober at the time. He took me to Alcoholics Anonymous.

750692-9179b81e-8a13-11e3-9956-927a0b0ae164.jpg

Nathan Lovett-Murray and Jannalli Brown with son Mara in 2008. Source: News Limited

"I was able to get sober and learn how to not have to drink.

"I got three years up, then relapsed, and found it hard to get back into the meetings.

"Rehab made me focus on going to meetings.

"It's a journey that I've been through. If I can help other people who are going through similar problems, I'm more than happy to talk about that side."

Lovett-Murray said there was no specific incident that caused him to go to rehab.

But he felt lost after leaving football.

"I played football for 10 years and I was used to a certain structure," he said.

"When that is taken away, and you don't have that structure anymore, you can go out there and things get a bit loose, a bit too excessive."

After quitting the Bombers, Lovett-Murray was selected to play in the indigenous Australian rules team against Ireland.

"We were in Ireland for three weeks. After that, I felt really tired, mentally. I needed a break," he said.

"I was lucky to have good friends who were able to get me into (rehab). The way I see it, I fell off the bike, but I'm back on the bike again.

"I'm ready to go into the next phase of my life."

Lovett-Murray stayed in rehab for two weeks.

A family man with two boys, aged 10 and 5, and a baby girl on the way, his children also led to his fight for sobriety.

"You want to be a role model for your children. You want to be doing the right things for them," he says.

"That was the key factors for wanting to go to rehab."

Lovett-Murray also thought of his precious family as he was rushed to hospital after being stabbed during a domestic altercation last May.

750746-c557042a-8a13-11e3-9956-927a0b0ae164.jpg

Lovett-Murray in his Essendon heyday. Source: News Limited

Police said the incident involved a former partner of Lovett-Murray's girlfriend.

They arrested a 22-year-old man and 17-year-old boy.

Lovett-Murray underwent surgery for his injuries.

"I was very lucky," he says.

"I spoke to the (Essendon) club doctor (Bruce Reid) and he said if it was another 2cm to the right, I could've died."

Lovett-Murray said the stabbing happened so quickly, he didn't realise he was cut until he saw blood.

"I suddenly felt strange, like, 's---, something is not right'. Then, suddenly I was in an ambulance going to hospital. It was very scary," he said.

Within hours, Lovett-Murray's family and suspended Bombers coach James Hird were at his bedside. It told Lovett-Murray who his true supporters were.

"When you have a high profile, you get a lot of people around you, but an incident like that shows you who's real, and who's not," Lovett-Murray says.

"I learned a lot that day.

"I believe in where I'm going. I want to be around the right people.

"I became very grateful for the life I have … and to make the most of opportunities."

Lovett-Murray played his last game for Essendon, against the Tigers at the MCG, on August 30.

750993-b807997e-8a13-11e3-9956-927a0b0ae164.jpg

The aftermath of the stabbing in Reservoir. Source: News Limited

Lauded by his peers as a "warrior", Lovett-Murray said in his retirement speech: "I've had a really good run and it's a great club." Today, he says he knew his time as an AFL player was up.

"It was an easy decision," Lovett-Murray says.

"I felt like, mentally, I was over it. I was more excited about other things. The world was my oyster. I wanted to start on a life after football."

That life includes Payback Records, a hip-hop label Lovett-Murray founded in 2008, to promote indigenous artists.

Payback stars Yung Warriors, Crystal Mercy, Briggs, Whitehouse, Miss Hood and Philly will perform at the Melbourne Indigenous Arts Festival, heating up the stage for headliner Jessica Mauboy, at Federation Square on February 8.

Payback is also a partner of Bunjil, a music business project guiding indigenous artists through the maze of the music industry.

"I understand what it means to be a role model," Lovett-Murray says.

"As a man who has done well, and had a little bit of success, I have to give back to community, I have to give back to the kids."

Lovett-Murray wants to set up an indigenous mentor program at Essendon and, if it's successful, other AFL clubs.

"The younger indigenous players need someone to talk to," Lovett-Murray says.

"When you come from a small country town with nothing, and go to the city and get everything, it's hard.

"You need good people to help you make the right decisions."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...tabbed-last-year/story-fni5f22o-1226815751020

Interesting to see Hird was there along his side after the stabbing. Shows the class of the man. Don't think the foamers would be too pleased to see that

Interesting article, I hope he can sort s**t out and not get bogged down in alcohol abuse.

Interesting to see Hird was there along his side after the stabbing. Shows the class of the man. Don't think the foamers would be too pleased to see that
Nah mate, Hird* was just there to finish the job his poisoned supplements failed to do:rolleyes:

Is he working at the club in any capacity?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back