Nathan Lyon 2016-17

Remove this Banner Ad

At this rate, even with his 8-for, he won't improve his BBM. Poor guy, needs to pick up 5 if the last 6 to top it.
Is that really of any importance though?
If he takes 2 quick wickets and the other bowlers run through the tail setting up a win, it would be much more significant than if he takes all 6 and India bat us out of the game.

Stats out of context would really just he numbers.

At this rate, even with his 8-for, he won't improve his BBM. Poor guy, needs to pick up 5 if the last 6 to top it.

If the field would back him up...

Wade was always gonna miss one, why they keep warner in at leg slip baffles me. Renshaw catches the ones hes missed

And Smith would take his more often than not

Wade was always gonna miss one, why they keep warner in at leg slip baffles me. Renshaw catches the ones hes missed

Yes, I'm baffled by Warner at leg slip as well. It's an entirely different position to slip. More like a gully where you need taller fielders with extra reach.

It's pretty impressive how he can go from 8/50 to 1/240 in his next two innings. If he has a bad 4th test he may end the series averaging over 30.
It isn't amazing though, that's just Nathan Lyon. He bowled over 70 overs between dismissals.

It's pretty impressive how he can go from 8/50 to 1/240 in his next two innings. If he has a bad 4th test he may end the series averaging over 30.

That's like Merv Hughes against the West Indies in 1988-89. He took 13 wickets in Perth, then for the next 3 Tests took only 1 wicket @ 286. It happens.

Player|O|E|B|M|R|W|E/R|S/R|R/W|R/I|W/I|Innings\
Lyon|361.7|0|2167| 44| 1217| 31| 3.37| 69.90| 39.26| 76.06| 1.94| 16\
O'Keefe| 184.2| 0| 1106| 38| 448| 22| 2.43| 50.27| 20.36| 64| 3.14| 7
3rd Test vs India

Updated the stats on the first post. Since Lyons' 8 wicket haul, he's gone 245/1 with a 70+ over gap between wickets across 2 innings. In SOKs case, he's taken 235/5, with almost 100 overs in the same period. He's managed to keep an economy rate under 2.5 across both innings, while Lyon has gone over 3.

Hate to think what Lyons' bowling stats would be without that 8 wicket innings.

The amazing thing, which I don't think many of you realise, is that SOK has bowled a lot more than Lyon this tour, yet conceded less runs, taken 4 more wickets, more than double the maidens, a superb strike rate and average, as well as going at less than 2.5 an over. Lyons' stats are OK, like they would be fantastic in playable conditions, but when compared to both Indian spinners and SOK, he's been a bit s**t.
Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 21.12.02.png

If we play one spinner in the 4th i would go okeefe for it
That won't happen. It'll be the pair of them. Unchanged line up.

Updated the stats on the first post. Since Lyons' 8 wicket haul, he's gone 245/1 with a 70+ over gap between wickets across 2 innings. In SOKs case, he's taken 235/5, with almost 100 overs in the same period. He's managed to keep an economy rate under 2.5 across both innings, while Lyon has gone over 3.

Hate to think what Lyons' bowling stats would be without that 8 wicket innings.

The amazing thing, which I don't think many of you realise, is that SOK has bowled a lot more than Lyon this tour, yet conceded less runs, taken 4 more wickets, more than double the maidens, a superb strike rate and average, as well as going at less than 2.5 an over. Lyons' stats are OK, like they would be fantastic in playable conditions, but when compared to both Indian spinners and SOK, he's been a bit s**t.
View attachment 347635

Jadeja has s**t all over Ashwin too

In the last test there was bugger all in it apart from the footmarks. Neither Lyon nor Ashwin did well, at least Ashwin had some left-handers to bowl at,

O'Keefe arguably shouldve got more out of the pitch but bowled well enough to dry up the runs. Lyon is a more aggressive bowler with more flight & spin so adding in his pitch woes it's hardly surprising okeefe is more miserly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon seriously needs to learn to bowl one that goes the other way. It would allow him to attack the stumps on different lines. He can only ever attack from outside off and its either going straight ln or turning right.

Ashwin was bowling carrom balls into the rough that turned big to Marsh then arm balls that had him chasing it. It was superb bowling.

Hasn't Lyon said he tried learning variations but couldn't do any without chucking?
Yes, the charrum ball is a party trick, hardly anyone can do it, plus batsmen seem to pick it out of the hand very easily.
I just think he needs to use some of the variations he has a bit more, and mix up his pace and angles more than he does. He becomes a bit robotic sometimes which is good when the pitch is working for you but not so much if batsmen are set and nothings happening

Lyon seriously needs to learn to bowl one that goes the other way. It would allow him to attack the stumps on different lines. He can only ever attack from outside off and its either going straight ln or turning right.

Ashwin was bowling carrom balls into the rough that turned big to Marsh then arm balls that had him chasing it. It was superb bowling.
Not sure how he could bowl a leggy with that action

Not sure how he could bowl a leggy with that action
It doesn't need to be a turner or anything, just a delivery that confounds the batsman. While Ashwin picked up just 1 wicket of 6, Jadeja wouldn't have picked up 4 without Ashwin applying pressure. He bowls scrambled seam and carrom balls, but changes the ball position to impart spin, drift and control direction. He bowled one into the rough outside off that would have hit a 2nd set of stumps down leg.

Ashwin is the prototypical offspin bowler, like Murali. They have highly effective stock balls, but have enough variation in deliveries to keep batsmen on the edge. He bowled beautifully to Marsh before he got out and he had no friggen idea.

Lyons weapons are drift, dip, bounce and turn at pace. But he's so predictable and delivers the same ball, 3 overs in a row, with little or no variation. He's at his lethal best on tracks that give a lot to the spinners, or have bounce.

That last pitch nullified almost all of our bowlers, bar Cummins and SOK.

I'll be as happy as the next person if Lyon takes 5-for and MOTM in the final test, but I'll be surprised if he takes more than 3 wickets under 3 an over.

An old fashioned arm ball would be a good start. The ball doesn't need to go big the other way, but the one that goes straight with the arm is very dangerous. Lyon doesn't even really have an arm ball.

An old fashioned arm ball would be a good start. The ball doesn't need to go big the other way, but the one that goes straight with the arm is very dangerous. Lyon doesn't even really have an arm ball.
I was bowling arm balls as a 14yo, surely he can develop one.

Lyon now moves to equal 45th all time for wickets taken, equal 9th for Australia, and 13th all time for spin bowlers

In 3 wickets time, he will past Benaud into 2nd most wickets by an Australian spin bowler

Remove this Banner Ad

Back