Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'll try to keep these stats up to date:

Player|O|E|B|M|R|W|E/R|S/R|R/W|R/I|W/I|Innings\
Lyon|259.5|0|1559| 34| 922| 22| 3.55| 70.86| 41.91| 70.92| 1.69| 13\
O'Keefe| 65.1| 0| 391| 13| 173| 16| 2.66| 24.44| 10.81| 43.25| 4.00| 4

tl;dr

Lyon is overrated, his summer performance have been atrocious and has been completely out bowled by SOK the last 2 Australian tests. SOK's test stats back up his FC record, Lyons' don't. Lyon has been tonked for a ton of runs, often going wicketless and conceding 100+ in almost every innings. SOK has been tidy, efficient and sometimes very effective. Lyon should have been dropped after the 2nd SA test fiasco.
------------

There's a lot of debate over Nathan Lyon, and if it wasn't for SOKs indiscretions and fitness issues aside, Lyon may not even be in the test team.

You would all remember that after the Proteas debacle the call was put out to the FC players to find a replacement for underperforming players in the test side. A few deserved the chop (M.Marsh, Lyon, Burns, Mennie, Ferguson, Voges), while I think most would agree that Nevill was harshly and unfairly dealt with.

Lyon somehow survived the cull, but it wasn't with merit. His first innings performance was a bit s**t considering the overall bowling performance, but recovered in the 2nd innings to snare 3 wickets. Until the 3rd match, he'd taken just 2 wickets @ 120.5, a truly diabolical rate. He finished the series with 6/346, averaging just under 60, so not too bad, but for a primary bowler, still very ordinary.

And then Pakistan happened. While the Pakistanis almost pulled off a miracle win (what would have been the most embarrassing loss of all time for any team, anywhere in the history of test cricket), Lyon was on the end of the 'tonk' treatment. For the match he took 2/139 off 40 overs, just under 70. He improved in the 2nd match, taking 4/148, but 1/115 in the first innings, then finished off the series with 5/215, 100 or more in both innings.

The last match is the first time Lyon and O'Keefe bowled together for the 2016/17 summer. SOK took 4 @ 25.75, while Lyon took 5 @ 43. Has anything changed in India? No. Considering India scored bugger all (212), he still conceded a third of their runs. His stats are a lot better, 5 @ 14.8, but SOK took a ridiculous 12 @ 5.8, SOK's strike rate is also less than half of Lyons.

There was a robust argument here and in the media about whether or not Smith was using Lyon correctly. It was clear that Smith didn't have confidence in his ability to lock down an end, or to make the breakthrough. Lyon himself was lacking confidence in Australian conditions and seriously struggled. The fact that SOK playing his 2nd test averaged 25 and Lyon playing almost his 70th test averaged 43 in favourable conditions reflects the difference in confidence and ability of the two.

Is Lyon overrated? In my mind he is, and his career stats don't paint a great picture, certainly not of a strike bowler, but one that's struggled for consistency in between fantastic performances. There's been games when he's dominated and brought home the bacon, but far too many games when he's been hit to all corners, barely getting 2 or 3, but conceding almost half the oppositions score. Conceding 315 in a dead rubber is a pretty s**t performance. Even his best bowling figures in Australia is poor, 7/152 -consider that he was 1/100+ before India tried to slap him out of the park. At least he can console himself with his 7/94 against India in India, pretty good effort (@4/over), but still ultimately lost by 6 wickets, getting turkey slapped in the 2nd innings.

SOK vs Lyon bowling together
Economy rate: SOK
Strike rate: SOK
Average: SOK
Wickets: SOK
Man of the match: SOK

Lyon's career was saved by SOK not being ready in time, but only just.

How's that egg on the face feeling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most mediocre bowler to play 60+ tests for Australia

Yeah and Michael Clarke is a more successful test batsman than Bradman

:$ I'll have another serving of mediocrity thanks. He richly deserves his standing in Australian cricket and is our best finger spinner in history.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Just a few lyon stats his 8/50 was actually the best haul by any visiting bowler to india, lyon is now the leading aussie wicket taker against india in test matches and lyon is the only bowler to have taken three 7+ wicket haul against india.

Wow, a few cockroaches crawling out of the wood. Where were you guys when he was conceding over 200 runs without a wicket?

Stupid s**t like this
Been here all along. Just ask LPno1, I've stood up for him for years.
Still comfortably our best spinner. Don't see him being pushed out of the side for a while yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, a few cockroaches crawling out of the wood. Where were you guys when he was conceding over 200 runs without a wicket?

Stupid s**t like this
That has literally never happened. Why don't you learn your lesson and shut up?

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
That has literally never happened. Why don't you learn your lesson and shut up?
Nathan Lyon, between last wicket in 1st test & 1st wicket in 3rd test, series vs South Africa 2016/17. This isn't even taking into account his 3 wickets in the first 4 innings at a ridiculously poor 90.67. He was averaging 126 before his 1st wicket in the 3rd test.

Overs: 64
Extras: 0
Balls: 384
Maidens: 5
Wickets: 0
Runs: 234

So you can take your stupid little Essendon flag and put it in the draw where it belongs. Or shove it somewhere dark and moist, I really don't care.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Nathan Lyon, between last wicket in 1st test & 1st wicket in 3rd test, series vs South Africa 2016/17. This isn't even taking into account his 3 wickets in the first 4 innings at a ridiculously poor 90.67. He was averaging 126 before his 1st wicket in the 3rd test.

So you can take your stupid little Essendon flag and put it in the draw where it belongs. Or shove it somewhere dark and moist, I really don't care.

Lethal.

Oh you're speaking multiple tests. So yeah, hasn't happened in one innings you dimwit.

I just find it easier to add people to my ignore list, but each to their own. In case you're wondering, I'm delighted he's doing well. A fit and firing Lyon is far better than that lump at the start of summer.
look at the pitches he had in the SA series. Awful for spin in WA and Tassie. Improved as the wickets became more conducive.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
I asked at the time and no lyon critic wanted to answer but what spinner in australia or actually around the world would have made an impact bowling on greentops vs SA with basically no runs on the board to back them up?

Lyon was in a slump for sure but cmon we get bowled out for 80 in just 30 overs on a day 1 greentop but it's the spinner fault that SA then bat 100 overs on that same pitch and make 300+?

Warne and murali couldn't bail a side out of that mess.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
In case you're wondering, I'm delighted he's doing well. A fit and firing Lyon is far better than that lump at the start of summer.
Cricket must be so exciting for you! With so much ignorance of conditions, context, and cricket in general, things like this must strike you as a magical and delightful surprise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back