NBA - who do you support and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been a Lakers since the day they drafted Magic. My Father was working in LA in 79/80, and there was a lot of fanfare about how good Magic was and what he was going to bring to the team. Dad used to play Basketball in Canberra and loved watching the game, so we probably went to around 30 games that season. I even have a team photo with Magic's and Kareem's autograph.
Same here ever since Magic was playing i was transfixed by the guy and the way he played he was a freak hence his nickname and always loved watching him go up against MJ and Larry Bird.
I still have the Lakers number 32 singlet too which i wear often.

Massive Kobe fan now.

I'm a Celtic fan because I like their history and am a big Larry Bird fan.

generally in the NBA though I find I follow a lot of individual players as well as the C's.

Always followed Chris Webber, and always wanted him to do well wherever he went. Just such an awesome player to watch offensively.

Got a lot of love for Golden State too, just for the Run TMC teams, the Webber rookie season, Sprewell, Mullin, Hardaway etc. and the current team is one of my favourites as well.

Good to see most of the former Charlotte Hornets fans have moved with the team to New Orleans !!! :)

I doubt they would be many Sonics fans that will be making the switch when the Sonics move to Oklaholma City ...

generally in the NBA though I find I follow a lot of individual players as well as the C's.

Always followed Chris Webber, and always wanted him to do well wherever he went. Just such an awesome player to watch offensively.

Got a lot of love for Golden State too, just for the Run TMC teams, the Webber rookie season, Sprewell, Mullin, Hardaway etc. and the current team is one of my favourites as well.

I guess Webber's ok, but he's no Amare Stoudemire. (j/k)

Actually, Webber and Tim Hardaway are two of my all-time favs from that period as well.

I also tend to follow players more than a particular team. Never understood how folks in Australia can be so passionate about supporting a specific team in the US. In any match-up, I'll usually have a preference of who I want to win (depending on the players on each team I guess), but I don't really follow any team "through thick and thin", so to speak.

I guess Webber's ok, but he's no Amare Stoudemire. (j/k)

Actually, Webber and Tim Hardaway are two of my all-time favs from that period as well.

I also tend to follow players more than a particular team. Never understood how folks in Australia can be so passionate about supporting a specific team in the US. In any match-up, I'll usually have a preference of who I want to win (depending on the players on each team I guess), but I don't really follow any team "through thick and thin", so to speak.

arent you a miami fan?

Good to see most of the former Charlotte Hornets fans have moved with the team to New Orleans !!! :)

I doubt they would be many Sonics fans that will be making the switch when the Sonics move to Oklaholma City ...
I have been a Hornets fan since the Charlotte days. Still have some old Glen Rice jerseys from when I was a kid too :thumbsu:

tbh I can't remember exactly why I go for the Hornets, I stated supporting them when I was around 4 years old, maybe even younger... used to play as them all the time on NBA 96 on the PS1 lol, maybe because they were the team above Chicago alphabetically (which my mates used to always play as) plus they were a pretty cool team in the mid 90's.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3461658&postcount=29

Never really had one team I follow:

Like the Knicks, Pacers and Kings.

but wil now add the bucks to that list

Won't don't you just tell us the few teams you don't claim to support wagon boy.
Boston fan. Pfft :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been a Phoenix fan since the days of Sir Charles, KJ and Dan Majerle. My older brother took up following NBA and he chose Charlotte because they were good at the time with with Larry Johnson, Zo and Mugsy so I guess I chose another team that was good back then. I always have a keen interest in the teams the Aussies play for and I like the exciting teams (such as Golden State and New Orleans at the moment) but I will always follow the suns.

I've been a Phoenix fan since the days of Sir Charles, KJ and Dan Majerle. My older brother took up following NBA and he chose Charlotte because they were good at the time with with Larry Johnson, Zo and Mugsy so I guess I chose another team that was good back then. I always have a keen interest in the teams the Aussies play for and I like the exciting teams (such as Golden State and New Orleans at the moment) but I will always follow the suns.

so you follow/ed

phoenix
new orleans
golden state

milwaukee (bogut)

in the past
portland (schensher)
dallas (anstey)
chicago (anstey and longley)
new york (longley)
san antonio (heal, gaze)
minnesota (heal)
atlanta (ricky grace)
76ers (bradtke)

12 teams all up :eek:

I am an avid Jazzz fan, have followed them passionately since 1990.

I have seen a lot of players come and go, and a lot of great success. The one constant has been Jerry Sloan, the man, they myth, the legend

After the retirements of Malone, Stocton and Hornacek, he took only three seasons to get the Jazz back on track, and did it with just one high draft pick (Deron Williams at 3). Massive respect to Kevin O'Connor for the quick rebuild, he is easily the best Executive in the NBA

All I can say is I am glad I chose an original team way back in 1990 instead of jumping on the Lakers/Celtics/Bulls/Pistons bandwagon.

Couldnt imagine following anyone besides the might Jazz, who have had just ONE below .500 season in the 18 years I have follow them

They play basketball how it should be played, and there is no team better to watch

so you follow/ed

phoenix
new orleans
golden state

milwaukee (bogut)

in the past
portland (schensher)
dallas (anstey)
chicago (anstey and longley)
new york (longley)
san antonio (heal, gaze)
minnesota (heal)
atlanta (ricky grace)
76ers (bradtke)

12 teams all up :eek:

No I said that I support Phoenix, I pay closer than usual attention on the teams with Aussies in because I like to see them do well and I enjoy watching teams that play exciting basketball.

In hindsight I'm happy with my decision to support Phoenix. It would really frustrate me if I supported the Bulls in the past, the celtics or the lakers (at anytime) because it annoys me so much when every second person who knows nothing about basketball claims to support these teams

Has any team since 1990 suffered more playoff losses, without ever winning the title? Serious question.

Probably not

But I would take 20 years of playoffs and consistently great basketball, over say a one seaon wonder like Miami that won a flukey title sandwiched between years of utter crap

Probably not

But I would take 20 years of playoffs and consistently great basketball, over say a one seaon wonder like Miami that won a flukey title sandwiched between years of utter crap

I bet Jerry Sloan would disagree with you...the old bastard refuses to retire until he wins a title ;)

I was a semi fan in the days of MJ but I was too young to really know what was going on. After his reign my passion died (although it wasn'y incredibly strong anyway).

Then when I was 12 I watched Kobe in the 2000 finals against Indiana and I've been a Laker/Kobe fan ever since. And more importantly just a fanatic follower of the whole NBA.

It's got to be Andrew and the Milwaukee Bucks. I've flirted with a couple of other teams (primarily because of a couple of my absolute favourite players were with them) but I just can't stick with it without some kind of connection. It's simply not like the AFL where you are pretty much born in to supporting a team.

For me, having an Australian do well in the NBA is more important (particularly due to the correlation with success of the sport over here) as opposed to some team I picked due to the pretty colours of their uniform, doing well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back