NCAA NCAA Re-Alignment

Remove this Banner Ad

After everything that's happened to the Big East, I guess I'm happy to be staying in the Mountain West. I'm mainly happy for our non-football sports that won't have to languish in mediocrity in the Big West. I just really hope the Big 12 adds us and BYU somewhere down the line in the next few years. We'll see.........

You know, with the current MWC revenue distribution and the access we would have by running the schedule. I kinda want to stay in the small pond for a little longer. Schedule 2 ranked OOC games a year and 2 other decent programs. Give us a healthy schedule, then run it. 2 Signature wins and 13-0. We'd be playoff bound and with that, we'd have the money through the BCS (or whatever it is now) at the same level as being in a BCS Conference.

Build up the program to huge heights, get great recruits in make the team better than ever.

What would you rather
A gaurunteed $20,000,000 with a small chance of getting more
Or a gaurunteed $2,000,00, almost certain $12,000,000, a very good chance of $27,000,000 with a fair chance of even more.

In other words - Above average BigXII team and get conference revenue + small bowl money
Or - The king of the other 5, getting huge bowl revenue.

Yeah, Boise State raped the MWC in this.
As long as recruiting in 2014-2016 stays as strong as it has been for this 2013 class coming up next month, Boise could really become a powerhouse.
Here's hoping we can snatch Jermaine Kelly. Though, I would say the move to the MWC lowered our chances of getting him, but I still think we're in a good position unless he really is wowed by Texas A&M and/or Oregon.

Annoying, he's going to UCLA, he visits Boise out of respect as we were the first people recruiting him, we wow him and he de-commits from UCLA and his 2 main candidates then look like Boise State an Washington, only for those 2 powerhouses to come sniffing around. Hopefully coach Lake and Boise's recent history of sending dbs to the nfl (Wilson, Scanderick, Alexander, Thompson, Johnson etc. plus Taylor and Gavins most likely being drafted this year)is the turning point in getting him.

San Diego State probably going back to MWC (expected to announce in next 3 weeks)
Houston looking at moving to MWC (Need to announce in next 4 days before exit fee goes up)
SMU not interested in MWC, they're commited to Big East.
Big East looking at Rice (Probably to replace Houston market if the Cougars go to the MWC)

Rumours of Cincy and UConn joining the C-7 in non-football, Cincy to MWC (UConn to MAC)

That would be huge for the MWC.Would put them at clear best the #5 conference in the land.

Have to make 4 edits Boise State and San Diego State back to MWC in 2013. FAU and MTSU moves accelerated from 2014 to 2013.

Boise State - WAC ---> MWC
Colorado - Big XII ---> Pac-12
Nebraska - Big XII ---> BigTen
Utah - MWC ---> Pac-12

BYU - MWC ---> Independant
Fresno State - WAC ---> MWC
Hawai'i - WAC ---> MWC
Missouri - Big XII ---> SEC
Nevada - WAC ---> MWC
South Alabama - Independant (FCS) ---> SBC
TCU - MWC ---> Big East ---> Big XII
Temple - MAC ---> Big East
Texas A&M - Big XII ---> SEC
Texas State - Southland (FCS) ---> WAC
UMass - CAA (FCS) ---> MAC
UTSA - Southland (FCS) ---> WAC
West Virginia - Big East ---> Big XII

Boise State - MWC ---> Big East ---> MWC
Charlotte - A10 (FCS) ---> C-USA
FIU - SBC ---> C-USA
Florida Atlantic - SBC ---> C-USA
Georgia State - CAA (FCS) ---> SBC
Louisiana Tech - WAC ---> C-USA
Houston - C-USA ---> Big East
Idaho - WAC ---> Independant
Memphis - C-USA ---> Big East
New Mexico State - WAC ---> Independant
Middle Tennessee - SBC ---> C-USA
North Texas - SBC ---> C-USA
Old Dominion - CAA (FCS) ---> C-USA
Pittsburgh - Big East ---> ACC
San Diego State - MWC ---> Big East ---> MWC
San Jose State - WAC ---> MWC
SMU - C-USA ---> Big East
Syracuse - Big East ---> ACC
Texas State - WAC ---> SBC
UCF - C-USA ---> Big East
Utah State - WAC ---> MWC
UTSA - WAC ---> C-USA

East Carolina - C-USA ---> Big East
Louisville - Big East ---> ACC
Maryland - ACC ---> BigTen
Rutgers - Big East ---> BigTen
Tulane - C-USA ---> Big East

Navy - Independant ---> Big East

IdahoStatesman said:
The University of Idaho is seeking the State Board of Education's blessing to accept a football-only invitation to join the Sun Belt Conference, Idaho Athletic Director Rob Spear told the Idaho Statesman on Monday.
IdahoStatesman said:
The board is expected to hold a special meeting this week to consider the request.
Idaho would join the Sun Belt for the 2014 season. The Vandals' other sports teams are joining the Big Sky Conference on July 1, 2014.
Idaho will play the 2013 football season as an independent after its conference home since 2005, the Western Athletic Conference, fell apart. The Vandals' other teams will remain in the WAC for the 2013-14 season.
Spear has said repeatedly that independence is not a long-term option for the football program.
"It's a sense of relief," Spear said. "We have a lot of work to do to get this program where it needs to be facility-wise. This is a positive step for sure. We have a heck of a lot of work to do."
Idaho was a member of the Sun Belt in football from 2001 to 2005.
Sun Belt Conference Commissioner Karl Benson told the Statesman earlier on Monday that the conference had not extended any invitations. The league is currently slated to have eight football-playing members in 2014.
ESPN.com reported earlier in the day that Georgia Southern and Appalachian State — powers in the Football Championship Subdivision — will join the Sun Belt.
It was just last year that the Sun Belt opted to stop expanding and stay with 10 football-playing members and 12 overall members. But more defections (Florida Atlantic and Middle Tennessee State) and a changing landscape have changed the league's thinking.
College football is moving to a four-team playoff in 2014. The highest-ranked conference champion from the soon-to-be-renamed Big East, Conference USA, Mountain West, Mid-American Conference and Sun Belt is assured of a spot in one of the top-tier bowls.
"Now a football championship game takes on a little different flavor or color in that the postseason has changed," Benson said. "Come 2014, the Sun Belt may be one of the only conferences that isn't doing a football championship game."
Idaho is expected to be joined by fellow WAC outcast New Mexico State in the 12-team Sun Belt.
Along with Idaho and New Mexico State, the Western Division of the Sun Belt will include Arkansas State, Texas State, Louisiana-Lafayette and Louisiana-Monroe. The Eastern Division would be Appalachian State, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, South Alabama, Troy and Western Kentucky.

Interesting, the divisions look interesting. West - Arkansas State and 5 piles of s**t, East - Troy and 5 recent FCS schools.

I can understand New Mexico State, but Idaho? hmmmm
When you are a ugly gentlemen, recently dumped by your very ugly girlfriend and with no possibilities of any other ugly girls in the future, you take anything you can get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you are a ugly gentlemen, recently dumped by your very ugly girlfriend and with no possibilities of any other ugly girls in the future, you take anything you can get.
But even I didn't think the SBC was that desperate to go for the ugliest girl out there o_O

Other news: Tulsa to the TBD conference in 2014.

Guess MWC is standing pat. Couldn't convince Houston/SMU and couldn't woo Tulsa (though, I dont think we were trying there)

Idaho's best chance for the MWC now is 2 MWC schools going up to Pac/BigXII and the MWC takes Idaho/NMSU.......But even then it's a long shot. If the MWC lost say, UNLV and Boise State to the Pac. I'd go out and grab UTSA and Louisiana Tech/Southern Miss (would go SMU and Houston, but they seem happy in the TBD conference)

East Carolina to join the non-Catholic Big East- whatever the hell they will call it- in all sports in either 2014 or 2015.

Leaders (Whisky, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State) + Legends (Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan + State, Northwestern) ----> East (Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan + State, Indiana) + West (Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Whisky, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska)

Damn... hectic times over the last couple of years with re-alignments.

I'd had no idea why there was so much movement until reading the Idaho article and found that one of the factors was the move to a 4 team NC playoff. How has this impacted? Is it just teams trying to better position themselves for maximum bowl opportunities?

Is this the biggest factors? What are the other factors?

And does anyone have a link to a website that actually shows where teams have come from and where they've moved to, and how conferences are changing?

Damn... hectic times over the last couple of years with re-alignments.

I'd had no idea why there was so much movement until reading the Idaho article and found that one of the factors was the move to a 4 team NC playoff. How has this impacted? Is it just teams trying to better position themselves for maximum bowl opportunities?

Is this the biggest factors? What are the other factors?

And does anyone have a link to a website that actually shows where teams have come from and where they've moved to, and how conferences are changing?
The moves all began with the Big XII's instability. (Well, after Boise State moved to the MWC, but that had nothing to do with anything else in the country so not worth starting with that)

A fair chunk of the Big XII schools didn't like how Texas was controlling everything. Some schools like Missouri were very vocal about this and were begging the BigTen for admittance. At the same time the Pac-10 was trying to go to 14 by ripping Texas, Oklahoma (and in turn Texas Tech and Oklahoma State) from the Big XII. With this instability, Nebraska jumped to the BigTen instantly as they were worried of being forced into a severly watered down Big XII. Colorado saw this too and got out to the Pac-10. Very soon after the Big XII cove into Texas' demands which kept the rest together for the short term. With the Pac-10 now stuck at 11, they rushed to get Utah in.

Things started to then die down for a little while with the exception of BYU going independant in response to Utah going Pac-12. These 2 openings then made the MWC grab Hawai'i (football only), Fresno State and Nevada from the WAC.

That's phase 1 done.

Next phase - We have 2 things in unison effecting different areas.

1) SEC wanting more money - They actually aimed for ACC schools. But at the time they had just increased the buyout from $20,000,000 to $40,000,000 so they were untouchable. The Big East schools had a 27-month notice agreement, so it'd take too long to get teams in. Therefore they went and got Texas A&M (Who were disgruntled by Longhorn Network and felt disadvantaged to Texas) and Missouri (who just wanted out of the Big XII - In large part to Texas)
This led to the Big XII backfilling with TCU and West Virginia. Now, yes, West Virginia is a Big East school, but they took the 27 month notice thing to court and won and avoided that whole thing. So were able to join the Big XII for the 2012 season.
This led to the Big East backfilling with Boise State, San Diego State, Houston, SMU and UCF (plus Navy long term) (Oh, and Temple immediately to keep 8 teams)
This then led to C-USA backfilling from SBC (who backfilled with some of the WAC teams) As well as the MWC backfilling with Utah State and San Jose State.

2) ACC wanting more media markets for new tv deal - This lead to them getting Syracuse and Pittsburgh from the from the Big East, however, they were happy to wait out the 27 months, but after West Virginia got through, Syracuse and Pitt managed to get it brought down to 13 months or something. This then forced the Big East to backfill even more by grabbing basically the rest of the C-USA - Who then basically had to backfill with the rest of the SBC who had to grab even more FCS and the rest of the WAC destroying the WAC.

There was then another calm untill the BigTen felt that there was another wave coming soon where BigXII, SEC and BigTen would be fighting for the best of the ACC. Therefore the BigTen made a pre-emptive strike to get a like minded university (Maryland - Who as the only school not to agree to the up from $20M to $40M, took the ACC to court and I believe kept it at $20M) as well as a big market in Rutgers. This then forced the ACC to backfill with Louisville, Boise State then renegered on the Big East as everything had gone to s**t. Deciding to rejoin the MWC, San Diego State followed suit 1 month later. The Big East filled up the conference with s**t and basically just becoming C-USA v2.0.

I think that covers everything up untill now.

Now we just sit back and wait for the next stage in expansion.
Recently the ACC signed some sort of agreement locking in media or some s**t for about a dozen years. So I doubt there'd be much movement out East right now unless someone wants someone from the Big East.

Now we just have to sit and wait for the next move. I can't see anyone leaving any of the big 4 + ACC conferences for at least another 10 years, so the movement will now be almost at zero now unless the Pac-12 or Big XII expands.

As a Boise State fan, we're in a s**t position. We're too isolated from the BigXII that it'd take a miracle for us to get in there unless with BYU (one of the 4 viable duos I can see fighting for that right). We're perfectly suitable for pac-12 however, problem is, there is literally no one else who can come in and balance the books. Boise State would bring money into the pac-12 and increase the size of the pie, but every other alternative besides BYU will subtract the slice sizes and the problem with BYU is that I hear numerous current pac-12 schools (most particularly Stanford and Cal) Dont want them.

I dont think Missouri had that much of a gudge with Texas as say Nebraska did. Missouri wanted Big Ten Network dollars which gave them more stability (in the instace of Texas leaving) and obviously more television revenue. Nebraska wanted out as they thought Texas had too much power. Remember Nebraska used to be a powerhouse with national championship aspirations.

ACC exit fee increased to $50mill to fend off teams leaving and dilluting the value of television rights. Maryland arguing that the exit fee should be reduced as the introduction of Louisville should mean the value should stay relatively the same.

Florida State along with Maryland were the only schools to be against raising the exit fee. With the new grants of rights agreement, pretty sure Florida State are committed to the long term now.

Have to make 4 edits Boise State and San Diego State back to MWC in 2013. FAU and MTSU moves accelerated from 2014 to 2013.

Utah - MWC ---> Pac-12

BYU - MWC ---> Independant
Hawai'i - WAC ---> MWC
Nevada - WAC ---> MWC
South Alabama - Independant (FCS) ---> SBC
TCU - MWC ---> Big East ---> Big XII
Temple - MAC ---> Big East
West Virginia - Big East ---> Big XII

Boise State - MWC ---> Big East ---> MWC
FIU - SBC ---> C-USA
Houston - C-USA ---> Big East
Idaho - WAC ---> Independant
Memphis - C-USA ---> Big East
New Mexico State - WAC ---> Independant
Pittsburgh - Big East ---> ACC
San Diego State - MWC ---> Big East ---> MWC
SMU - C-USA ---> Big East
Syracuse - Big East ---> ACC
UCF - C-USA ---> Big East
UTSA - WAC ---> C-USA

East Carolina - C-USA ---> Big East
Tulane - C-USA ---> Big East

Navy - Independant ---> Big East
Just making a few edits (a few of the moves I wrote for 2013 have been pushed back a year)

Utah - MWC ---> Pac-12

BYU - MWC ---> Independent
Hawai'i - WAC ---> MWC
Nevada - WAC ---> MWC
South Alabama - Independent (FCS) ---> SBC
TCU - MWC ---> AAC ---> Big XII
Temple - MAC ---> AAC
West Virginia - AAC ---> Big XII

Boise State - MWC ---> AAC ---> MWC
FIU - SBC ---> C-USA
Houston - C-USA ---> AAC
Idaho - WAC ---> Independent
Memphis - C-USA ---> AAC
New Mexico State - WAC ---> Independent
Pittsburgh - AAC ---> ACC
San Diego State - MWC ---> AAC ---> MWC
SMU - C-USA ---> AAC
Syracuse - AAC ---> ACC
UCF - C-USA ---> AAC
UTSA - WAC ---> C-USA

Appalachian State - SoCon (FCS) ---> SBC
East Carolina - C-USA ---> AAC
Georgia Southern - SoCon (FCS) ---> SBC
Idaho - Independent ---> SBC
New Mexico State - Independent ---> SBC
Tulane - C-USA ---> AAC
Tulsa - C-USA ---> AAC
Western Kentucky - SBC ---> C-USA

Navy - Independent ---> AAC

Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC looking more and more likely

I wonder what will happen with the Big XII

Implode or backfill?

I think implode

my prediction for new re-alignment

BigXII ---> SEC
Oklahoma
Texas

Big XII ---> BigTen
Kansas
Iowa State

BigXII ---> ACC
West Virginia

BigXII ---> AAC
TCU
Texas Tech
Kansas State

BigXII ---> Pac-14
Oklahoma State
Baylor

Ind. ---> ACC
Notre Dame

i can see the BigTen going for the death blow of the BigXII

But do they go what makes sense (West Virginia and Oklahoma State) or do they go with cultural fit (Kansas and Iowa State)

I think the basketball will be the deciding factor and they go Kansas (+Iowa State)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back