News Ned Guy List Manager to leave after MD

Remove this Banner Ad

He can GAGF if he brings an Hawaiian pizza......FULL STOP!

Should be laws against fruit on pizza :mad:
Don’t go north then. Pineapple, yes please.

The bad decisions all started with Beams leaving, we did well out of that trade but we wasted all our opportunities trying to buy a premiership window... Greenwood Varcoe Wells Mayne Dunn were the exact opposite of what we had to do. We'd got the list in really good shape building from the bottom up with kids and we needed to keep pushing that through so that all the kids matured together, a general rule being don't bring in anyone over 26yrs because you are buying injuries and players past their prime.

Suddenly we started doing the opposite and 'topping up' with veterans, and when you build from the top up after building from the bottom you end up with the abortion we have now with no key positions, no outside run and no frickin cash to buy our way out of it!

2012 and 13 drafts are the reason we suck. Two top 10 picks in 2013 and we have nothing to show. Yes injury has been a factor but not even 1 of those picks have given us an elite player 4yrs later. Imagine if we had Lever and Cripps.

2012 we had 3 picks in top 25, we have Grundy to show for it. Broomhead has been irrelevant, Kennedy not even on an AFL list now.

So from 5 top 25 picks we have Grundy. Great recruiting Hine.

s**t. You beat me to it.

Needn't have been the case

Mother Theresa had a soft spot for you but I romanced her more

EDIT: to the viewers at home I know this post has crossed the line, it is late, but still no excuse for besmirching the reputation of a Saint of the Holy Church, sorry to all Catholics, Albanians and people with dehydrated complexions, in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti bless Collingwood, our fifteen premiership teams (including Jarryd Blair who may have had a bowl of Columbian strapped to his head at Elton John's Christmas Party) and Kappa.

Last edited:
2012 and 13 drafts are the reason we suck. Two top 10 picks in 2013 and we have nothing to show. Yes injury has been a factor but not even 1 of those picks have given us an elite player 4yrs later. Imagine if we had Lever and Cripps.

2012 we had 3 picks in top 25, we have Grundy to show for it. Broomhead has been irrelevant, Kennedy not even on an AFL list now.

Like you said injury destroyed the cursed 2013 draft and after Grundy there wasn't actually that much at all, maybe Marcus Adams but even that was a longshot

The bad decisions all started with Beams leaving, we did well out of that trade but we wasted all our opportunities trying to buy a premiership window... Greenwood Varcoe Wells Mayne Dunn were the exact opposite of what we had to do. We'd got the list in really good shape building from the bottom up with kids and we needed to keep pushing that through so that all the kids matured together, a general rule being don't bring in anyone over 26yrs because you are buying injuries and players past their prime.

Suddenly we started doing the opposite and 'topping up' with veterans, and when you build from the top up after building from the bottom you end up with the abortion we have now with no key positions, no outside run and no frickin cash to buy our way out of it!
Out of that list only Mayne and Greenwood I wouldn't recruit

If you are going to be critical of 2012 & 2013 drafting your argument will hold more weight if both of the players you wish we'd taken were actually in that draft. FYI Lever was 2014. Cripps & Brown from 2013 would have been better example but I'm still ok to give Shaz more time.

If you are going to be critical of 2012 & 2013 drafting your argument will hold more weight if both of the players you wish we'd taken were actually in that draft. FYI Lever was 2014. Cripps & Brown from 2013 would have been better example but I'm still ok to give Shaz more time.

Bump.

Ned Guy has one of the most important roles in the football department. It’s one thing to be a player manager and I assume being successful at that. However, managing a list within a salary cap, is a whole different ball game. That would be significantly more difficult.

What are people’s thoughts on what he has done well and what has he done poorly?

1. What are the good list decisions he has made?

2. What are the bad list decisions he has made?

3. Do you trust him to manage our list or is he out of his depth?

4. Does he have a good working relationship with Hine?

5. What tough decisions has he made so far?

My opinion of Ned Guy has fluctuated and I probably have not seen enough to make an informed assessment. I do not know if the salary cap squeeze is accurate, or is it a negotiation tactic?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needn't have been the case

Mother Theresa had a soft spot for you but I romanced her more

EDIT: to the viewers at home I know this post has crossed the line, it is late, but still no excuse for besmirching the reputation of a Saint of the Holy Church, sorry to all Catholics, Albanians and people with dehydrated complexions, in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti bless Collingwood, our fifteen premiership teams (including Jarryd Blair who may have had a bowl of Columbian strapped to his head at Elton John's Christmas Party) and Kappa.

i've read that she wasn't all that she was cracked up to be.....and i'm a member of two of the groups you apologised to.

He’s in over his head but also seems he’s inherited some legacy problems + a culture of overpaying across the list.

He gets a pass due to the above but would want to have some rabbits in his hat.

Bump.

Ned Guy has one of the most important roles in the football department. It’s one thing to be a player manager and I assume being successful at that. However, managing a list within a salary cap, is a whole different ball game. That would be significantly more difficult.

What are people’s thoughts on what he has done well and what has he done poorly?

1. What are the good list decisions he has made?

2. What are the bad list decisions he has made?

3. Do you trust him to manage our list or is he out of his depth?

4. Does he have a good working relationship with Hine?

5. What tough decisions has he made so far?

My opinion of Ned Guy has fluctuated and I probably have not seen enough to make an informed assessment. I do not know if the salary cap squeeze is accurate, or is it a negotiation tactic?

Ned seems to like to stay away from the media. THis is big positive for me.

He’s in over his head but also seems he’s inherited some legacy problems + a culture of overpaying across the list.

He gets a pass due to the above but would want to have some rabbits in his hat.

Let’s look at the facts ...

2017:

Got in Sam Murray and exchanged picks. We never really got to see what Sam Murray could do beyond idiocy.
We delisted Keeffe who ended up being picked up for nothing by GWS ... nobody bemoanEd that.

2018:

Disastrous Beams’ trade ... but we don’t know how much of Ned Guy’s brainchild that was.
Roughead ... has been alright?
Lost Fasolo to Carlton in Free Agency ... don’t see too many complaints about that one.

Darcy Cameron ... has been alright?
Lost Aish to Freo

In amongst all that we’ve (so far) been able to hang onto big name players like Grundy, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Moore, DeGoey, Treloar, Howe. The list Has been pretty stable.

To be honest how would any of us really know if he is good at the job or not, we are just guessing

I'd say when you give a 4 year 2 million contract to a 30 year old who is addicted to drugs, gambling, has severe depression and doesn't enjoy football anymore there is a fair indication he hasn't done a brilliant job so far.

Add in our huge salary cap issues, the fact we're instantly concerned about the Treloar deal, a ridiculous Grundy deal ect.

He needs a good offseason this year, that's for sure.

I'd say when you give a 4 year 2 million contract to a 30 year old who is addicted to drugs, gambling, has severe depression and doesn't enjoy football anymore there is a fair indication he hasn't done a brilliant job so far.

Add in our huge salary cap issues, the fact we're instantly concerned about the Treloar deal, a ridiculous Grundy deal ect.

so you would sack ned guy for this and let the instigators of this idea to remain in place?

Paying 500k a year to inject senior player who has won a premiership, who has consistently placed and won club bests and fairest could have been a masterstroke.

Mental health battles and issues can't really be helped by the list manager.

Whilst there may have been indications of his struggles with his time at Brisbane, he was still able to put out some great footy and for all intents and purposes it seemed as though he could put his vices aside to play football. Unfortunately it didn't transpire.

And before you cite the two first rounders we paid, they were effectively picks around pick 20, if you look at it pragmatically its more like a First and a Second value wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back