Autopsy Negatives vs Collingwood - Round 20, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

3 players with more than 2 tackles and one of them is a bloke that wasn’t on an AFL list 6 weeks ago.

Sheed 2
Sheppard/kelly/Duggan/Kennedy/hurn/darling 1
Gaff/redden 0

Don’t care what the flaws in the game plan are if your senior players don’t have the work rate to chase/tackle the ball carrier you’re ****ed.

Too often 3 opposition players breakaway and 1-2 of 3 Eagles players decides the chase is too hard and the opposition just works the numbers advantage to move the ball away.

Then you’ll see players laughing on the bench in a game like this. This isn’t a premier ship winning team and the players seem perfectly comfortable with that.

Has to be something going on in the background.

Watching the presser it's clear Simmo doesn't understand what's causing these piss weak efforts.

Not a good look.

What do you do with star players that only turn up to play 1 game out of 4 (if that) for a couple of years now? If they can't be relied on to perform is there a point of pereservering with them? Its like the rot just spreads from them sometimes.
Lifetime achievement of credits in the bank were achieved.

The players owe Shannon Hurn an apology, to dish up that effort in a historic moment for the club is a disgrace.

Too many mentally weak passengers once again this season, the gap between our best and worst is alarming.

I dont think our best is even that good anymore so no the gap between our best and worst is not alarming.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Simmo did his best to make do with our strengths;

- McGovern and Barrass as elite intercept markers
- Hurn and Jetta as elite backline kicks
- Kennedy and Darling as elite marking targets

So he built a gameplan around corralling the opposition midfield into a blind kick, which McGovern then marks, gives to Jetta and sets up a forward thrust which 3nds up with Kennedy = wins.

The question is can Simpson reinvent this side over the summer? The Beatles started off with Love Me Do, and sang Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds on Sgt Peppers. You have to adjust and adapt in whatever industry you're in. I'm hoping we can as there's quality on this list. But reality is 2021 in done.

Lifetime achievement of credits in the bank were achieved.
I remember even Woosh wasn't adverse to dropping them back to wafl, I recall he did it with Wirra and JK back in the day to find form. Is Simmo just not uncompromising enough? Surely he can see that what he's doing isn't working.

Big indictment when even the commentary just come out and say they've never seen a top 8 side with so many embarrassing defeats over a season.

I remember even Woosh wasn't adverse to dropping them back to wafl, I recall he did it with Wirra and JK back in the day to find form. Is Simmo just not uncompromising enough? Surely he can see that what he's doing isn't working.

Big indictment when even the commentary just come out and say they've never seen a top 8 side with so many embarrassing defeats over a season.
In the WAFL we have a depth of players who would contribute in the AFL why not use them. The full list is Witherdon.

I just don't enjoy watching us play anymore :sadv1:

Sadly since the Richmond game I feel so disconnected watching the Eagles I normally get really shirty watching the game.. now its generally after 10 mins I can tell the games gone and I can go about other things without getting pissed off with the result

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Kelly did the same thing . Refused to man up sidebottom and let him take an uncontested mark . He had to run about 10m

Kelly is playing timid, worried about getting hurt, not bodying the ball, time and time again. Running over the ball as well, not keeping his head over it, and worrying what is coming the other way.

You know it's a serious concern when fans on Facebook Eagles are calling for Simmo to be sacked, and that his game plan is obsolete and that he's lost the playing group and they're lazy and disinterested!!?
He looks like he's tired of repeating his own cliches...which he did again!
He actually said "we have to own it, learn from it, and get better quickly" (very unconvincingly)
Time to move on, chop out the deadwood+peahearts and rebuild.
But the thought of Clarkson at Eagles makes me feel ill?
Makes you wonder how much Mitchell had to do with the GF win?
Been downhill ever since...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know it's a serious concern when fans on Facebook Eagles are calling for Simmo to be sacked, and that his game plan is obsolete and that he's lost the playing group and they're lazy and disinterested!!?
He looks like he's tired of repeating his own cliches...which he did again!
He actually said "we have to own it, learn from it, and get better quickly" (very unconvincingly)
Time to move on, chop out the deadwood+peahearts and rebuild.
But the thought of Clarkson at Eagles makes me feel ill?
Makes you wonder how much Mitchell had to do with the GF win?
Been downhill ever since...
I think Mitchel was pivotal to use winning the flag in 2018.. hes got that hard edge and cranky demeanor when standards are not being met. Too many senior players are comfortable knowing they will never get dropped. Jack Darling should have been sent back to the WAFL 6 weeks ago, and hes not the only one. Meanwhile, Waterman is bouncing in and out of the side like a yoyo..leave the kid in.. start sending the senior players back to the twos.

Negatives -
-
Team embarrassing in Hurn's 300th.
- Defensive zone is trash and getting cut up.
- Losing to a bottom 4 side.
- Playing too tall with Ryan out. Waterman was pretty much inept.
- Structure dog sh*t. Forwards stuck in defense so no targets for a clearing bomb.
- Forward pressure was dogsh*t as well, they just waltzed it out with ease. Not helped that we selected four talls.
- Effort was also sh*t. Too lazy and refusing to chase.
- Tackling trash again. They stuck their tackles and we had ours broken. 32 tackles in a game.
- Midfield smashed.
- Allen clearly down on form. Must be injured. Didn't do much at all.
- First half was absolutely dogsh*t.

Meh =
= Sheed was serviceable and kicked a nice long goal.
= Kelly didn't impose himself as much but that can be said of our mids.
= Gaff was alright. 33 disposals which aren't damaging but were decent.
= Cripps tried and was one of our better tacklers on the day.
= Langdon worked hard as always and was ok.
= Duggan lacked the rebounding power he had but was serviceable.
= West the only one bar Yeo and Nic Nat who attacked the footy but was a bit slow with decision making.

Positives +
+ Hurn played well in his 300th. Looked to take the game on.
+ Nic Nat a gun beaten a gun ruck in Grundy in the ruck contest and was pretty good around the ground. One of our bests on the day. Game high of ten clearances and he played 77% TOG. Says a lot about the midfield when our ruckman leads the clearances.
+ Shep solid as always.
+ Yeo was our best mid of the day, the only one who attacked the footy along with West and Nic Nat only.
+ Gov a rock down back took some nice intercept grabs. Looked to take the game on at times.
+ Rotham can hold his head high. Looked secure down back and showed more composure.
+ H.Edwards looked composed and looked to go down the middle. Something only him, Hurn and occasionally Gov tried to do in the game. Must stay in the side even if Barrass is back. Will be a gun KPD in the future if given a good run of games.

Final Thoughts.

That was pathetic from the team but I'm not surprised. Simmo to me sounds like those centrist type talking without saying anything type politicians, all platitudes no substance. No change or re jig of the gameplan that is being badly exposed especially with the new rule as the man on the mark must stand and cannot do silly things which can mess up the kicker. Very embarrassing for Hurn's 300th. If the gameplan and some underperforming personal doesn't change then there's a good chance the team will finish bottom 4 next year.

Last edited:
Words like "horrendously" bad, "unravelled" and "outdated" gameplan routinely used to describe us. What they mean is poorly coached.
Yet media are scared to say the truth- Simpson is worst coach in afl

I think our team are playing selfish footy. Maybe there are a few players insecure about their place in the side, but we are not doing the required running, blocking, 1%ers off the ball that are required. A lot of the players are playing for their own stats.
I think part of the problem is the senior players never get dropped only the young guys. Darling has done 4/5ths of FA the last 6 weeks, hes had one good game from memory... after the 3rd its back to the WAFL no questions asked, thats how its supposed to be. Cripps is ok one week, does nothing the next and a few of them are like that.

3 players with more than 2 tackles and one of them is a bloke that wasn’t on an AFL list 6 weeks ago.

Sheed 2
Sheppard/kelly/Duggan/Kennedy/hurn/darling 1
Gaff/redden 0

Don’t care what the flaws in the game plan are if your senior players don’t have the work rate to chase/tackle the ball carrier you’re f’ed.

Too often 3 opposition players breakaway and 1-2 of 3 Eagles players decides the chase is too hard and the opposition just works the numbers advantage to move the ball away.

Then you’ll see players laughing on the bench in a game like this. This isn’t a premier ship winning team and the players seem perfectly comfortable with that.

Has to be something going on in the background.
Pretty hard to tackle when the opposition has 167 marks for the game .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back