GONE

Solder
Butler
Lewis
Amandola

IN

Shelton

Not a good read.

I guess we all knew that the stay at the top was never going to last but it still hurts when that day arrives.
We will still be Kings of the AFC East but our chances of being Conference Champs just took a massive hit.

Solder is the one that will hurt the most as there is no obvious LT replacement of any quality in either FA or the draft consequently Brady's effectiveness will go down.
We just became a team thats easier to defend against.

People said the same thing after the departure of Matt Light.

I'm not all that worried with what's going on. If it can be done, flip Marcus Cannon from RT to LT, have Tony Garcia come along and let Dante do his thing.

I get what your saying ausbacker but Cannon's production is no where near as high as Solder's was and Garcia is going to need some time to regain the weight he lost last year.

If Cannon is able to step up then sure that will help but he isn't the most durable player on our roster, replaceable Solder is going to be difficult.

Dola , Lewis and Butler are all much easier to replace ,or at least their departures are much easier to work around ,as there are more alternate options in FA and particularly in the draft, as this years draft is deep in RB and Corners.

Last edited:
I get what your saying ausbacker but Cannon's production is no where near as high as Solder's was and Garcia is going to need some time to regain the weight he lost last year.

If Cannon is able to step up then sure that will help but he isn't the most durable player on our roster, replaceable Solder is going to be difficult.

Dola , Lewis and Butler are all much easier to replace ,or at least their departures are much easier to work around ,as there are more alternate options in FA and particularly in the draft, as this years draft is deep in RB and Corners.
Solder has never been named to an All Pro team, Cannon has. The only knock is Cannon's durability.

Yeah, this news is sucky all round.

Solder was a priority for mine. A bit surprised he left, would have thought he'd be more on the side of staying than going, but what can you do - that's the game these days.

Amandola is massively underrated and deserves his pay day I suppose. He needs to be used the right way (as he was at the Pats), but if he is, he's so so dependable. Love players like him that you always know what you're going to get.

Lewis out, well we do have depth there, but still a great player - but that 11.5 mil min asking price, fair enough Pats don't want to go that high. Very important White stays healthy now, and Burkhead too.

The Pats front office have a bit of work to do ...

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Jason McCourty CB you might just know our safety Devon McCourty.

Twins are reunited apparently BB cant have enough Rutgers players on his team.

Jokes aside its a very good and cheap pick up, costing 3 Million and its a trade / swap of sixth and seventh 2018 picks, therefore it wont impact on compensatory picks next year.

I didn't watch enough of the Browns this year to know what level McCourty is playing at but I now we've tried to get him in the past. I like this pick-up just for the feel-good story, which helps in light of losing some fan favourites over the last few days.

I'm not particularly au fait with the compensatory pick system but given Butler, Lewis and Solder all got really lucrative deals would I be right in thinking we're in line for 3 x third rounders next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

29313309_10160292020110637_3945674248814592000_o.jpg

Butler by his own admission had a down year but this output would complement Gilmore nicely.

29313309_10160292020110637_3945674248814592000_o.jpg

Butler by his own admission had a down year but this output would complement Gilmore nicely.
Now that we know Gilmore is the player we hoped he could be, the Safeties can creep to the other side of the field and help cover Jason's area.

If the Pats sign Clayborn, that means the team has added Shelton, Clayborn, McCourty and has a very impressive IRed pass rusher in Derek Rivers to return. Let's also not forget the mammoth hole Hightower left so if, and a pipe dream sure, the team can add Preston Brown then, if only for talent, the D should be significantly better.

I'm not 100% sold on Gilmore. He had a good playoff run but at times he looked lost too.

Still I suppose after Logan Ryan anything would be an upgrade
Please - this was legitimately the greatest moment of my life

In all serious though, he started slowly, so I can see what you're saying, but he was awesome once he returned from injury and particularly great down the stretch.

Gilmore came into a D team that was pretty crap across the board and took some time to gel together , let’s be honest the first four weeks of the season the D was putrid.
Hard to come into that, as the new boy and play at your best, when the pieces around you are not doing their bit.
No question for me the longer the season went the better Gilmore played , I can cut him some slack in the first half or the season and attribute that to teething problems.
His last half of the season and the play offs have left me feeling a lot more chipper about having picked him up.

I think he and Jason McC will team well together.
TBH I was a bit shocked when the Browns cut him because I thought he was their best CB last season. Similar to his brother Jason is a pretty smart player and B.B. always like that in a player and manages to extract the best out of smart players.

There is no doubt IMO that if he plays with as much production next season as he did this season gone then his cheap contract will deliver real value to the Patriots.

Danny Shelton, Jason McCourty and now Adrian Clayborn signed. Good to see Bill saw what we saw in the Super Bowl.
I expect Cowboy-level performances every game ;)

Good move though. I'd probably still hang on to James Harrison, who you'd think would be favourable to a cheap deal.

Amongst other FA visits I've heard about Jeremy Hill (RB) and Eric Ebron (TE)

I expect Cowboy-level performances every game ;)

Good move though. I'd probably still hang on to James Harrison, who you'd think would be favourable to a cheap deal.

Amongst other FA visits I've heard about Jeremy Hill (RB) and Eric Ebron (TE)
DT: Danny Shelton, Malcom Brown, Vincent Valentine, Lawrence Guy
DE: Trey Flowers, Adrian Clayborn, Derek Rivers, Adam Butler, Deatrich Wise

Throw in a potential James Harrison and/or more acquisitions through either the draft or FA, and that DL rotation looks markedly improved.

DT: Danny Shelton, Malcom Brown, Vincent Valentine, Lawrence Guy
DE: Trey Flowers, Adrian Clayborn, Derek Rivers, Adam Butler, Deatrich Wise

Throw in a potential James Harrison and/or more acquisitions through either the draft or FA, and that DL rotation looks markedly improved.

I really like the addition of Clayborn and as has been mentioned by others James Harrison would be nice to get back for another year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back