Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't feel sad cause we were conditioned to the fact it was coming, even if it did look like he'd mentally done a U-turn on that decision in recent weeks.

My favourite Gronk moment was him taking over the Steeler game last season, especially in the two-minute drill: Might be some recency bias on my part, as the AFCCG @ Denver was probably his career moment.

BB knows best but I'm so glad the trade with Detriot didn't happen this year and we got to see Gronk be special one last-time in the playoffs

Gronk was the most unstoppable guy in the league when he was firing.

Obviously going to be bias from fans like myself, but at his peak, best TE over past decade, probably more, simply because he was a full package. Big and tall and could hold his ground, great awareness, great hands, always stood up in big games, though there were TEs faster around the league, for his size he was quick enough and, though not particularly agile, again for his size, he knew when to cut and he was decisive and crisp in his route running, and always good for yards after the catch. Then he was an exceptional blocker when he stayed on the line. That sort of combo made him a nightmare for defenses around the league.

Last edited:

Obviously going to be bias from fans like myself, but at his peak, best TE over past decade, probably more, simply because he was a full package. Big and tall and could hold his ground, great awareness, great hands, always stood up in big games, though there were TEs faster around the league, for his size he was quick enough and, though not particularly agile, again for his size, he new when to cut and he was decisive and crisp in his route running, and always good for yards after the catch. Then he was an exceptional blocker when he stayed on the line. That sort of combo made him a nightmare for defenses around the league.
The fact his blocking was better than some lineman in the league speaks volumes in this debate. He was as complete as they come and that's why he was the best ever

Don't mind the Pats signing Austin Seferian-Jenkins. His ceiling is incredibly high but for one reason or another, he's never delivered on that potential. Perhaps the right environment will coax it out of him. Either way, it services a need at TE and provides draft flexibility.

Don't mind the Pats signing Austin Seferian-Jenkins. His ceiling is incredibly high but for one reason or another, he's never delivered on that potential. Perhaps the right environment will coax it out of him. Either way, it services a need at TE and provides draft flexibility.
Or he’s going to do an inside job on the Pats for that TD turned fumble through the EZ in 2017 :tearsofjoy:

A WR with a first round pick? So Un-Patriots like. His highlight tape is impressive though
But the player himself is very Patriot like, we'll use him in multiple roles no doubt.

Proably even punt returner at times.
If Dirty Harry grips the playbook and sees the same field Brady sees, I am super excited by this pick. Watching his tape, I see shades of a young Demaryius Thomas and Marques Colston.

If you're going to knock BB for anything it's probably WR scouting, but Harry looks good and seems like a logical choice. Even if he doesn't rack up yards I expect he'll be a huge EZ threat in the mould of Gronk - i.e. corner fades, quick slants.
This strikes me as a Josh McDaniels pick. For all his misgivings in Denver, he drafted some very good players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big, physical WR in Round 1, big, physical CB in Round 2. Love what the Pats are doing.

Yeah very happy with this pick.

Heard BB talking in an interview two weeks ago and he was explaining how NE try to keep ahead of the game in planning.
He commented on the trending of teams drafting bigger WR and he said its a trend that needs thought, because you are going to have to spend more time planning who you are going to play on them, as their size is a real point of difference.

So .... track forward ..... to this pick , given those thoughts it's no surprise, as Williams is almost 6' 4 ", a very aggressive CB, he is also a very smart kid.

Astute pick by BB.

Thrilled with both our picks so far.

Winovich is a tremendous pick up.

Big personality..... not sure there would have been enough room on the victory ducks for BOTH Gronk and Chase.

Intense DL man, who can play in a variety of positions.

He will play day one and IMO come seasons end will be ranked highly as Defensive Rookie of the year.

He is a steal where we got him.

Daniel Jeremiah hit the nail on the head with the comparison to Clay Matthews .... and that’s game style....... not just the hair.

Five picks so far and I am rapt with three in particular.

Harry.
Williams.
Winovich.

Excellent matching of best available and needs ...... still got seven players to add tomorrow .

Last edited:
Yeah love Winovich.

Also hit me today that Bentley (and I guess Wynn) are basically draftees too. There will be a nice injection of talent next season - I also think Berrios could contribute

Great Call :thumbsu:

Lots of new faces from last years draft haul to add to the untried mix , ( remarkably B.B. got another Lombardi with very little impact from last years draft haul :) ) ... so they just add to the mix of new talent available this year.

Bottom line is this, the team got "diddly squat" input from last years draft haul , primarily due to the injury gods being nasty *******, fast forward a year ......they now all add another layer of talent to add into the reboot.

List of reported un-drafted free agents that the Patriots have signed.

WR Jacobi Meyers 6 1 203 NC
WR Xavier Ubosi 6 3 215 UAB
OT Calvin Anderson 6 5 300 Texas
SS Malik Gant 511209 Marshall
LB Terez Hall 6 1 230 Missouri
OL Tyree St Louis 6 5 305 Miami
TE Andrew Beck 6 4 260 Texas
WR Ryan Davis 5 9 175 Auburn
OC Tyler Gauthier 6 5 300 Miami

Last edited:
Depending on how you feel about Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Matt LaCosse, outside of a veteran trade (Kyle Rudolph) or Free Agent signing stop gap (Ben Watson), this roster is looking pretty damn good. I'd feel better with another TE and DL but hey, cap constraints.

Projected Starters for mine:

QB: Brady
RB: Michel
FB: Develin
WR: Edelman, Harry/Thomas/Gordon/Dorsett
TE: Seferian-Jenkins
OL: Wynn, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon

DL: Bennett, Pennel, Guy, Winovich
LB: Hightower, Bentley, Van Noy
DB: Gilmore, D.McCourty, P.Chung, J.McCourty

Further to the point, rotations look like this:

RB: White, Harris, Burkhead
WR: Harry, Thomas, Gordon, Dorsett, Berrios
TE: LaCosse, Hollister
OL: Schwenke, Ferentz, Carras, Cajuste, Froholdt

DL: Butler, Simon, Wise
LB: Roberts, Sam
DB: Dawson, Crosson, Harmon, Williams, Jones, Melifonwou

I don't want to say stacked as there's depth issues at TE, DL and LB, but geez, it's looking good for another tilt.

Depending on how you feel about Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Matt LaCosse, outside of a veteran trade (Kyle Rudolph) or Free Agent signing stop gap (Ben Watson), this roster is looking pretty damn good. I'd feel better with another TE and DL but hey, cap constraints.

Projected Starters for mine:

QB: Brady
RB: Michel
FB: Develin
WR: Edelman, Harry/Thomas/Gordon/Dorsett
TE: Seferian-Jenkins
OL: Wynn, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon

DL: Bennett, Pennel, Guy, Winovich
LB: Hightower, Bentley, Van Noy
DB: Gilmore, D.McCourty, P.Chung, J.McCourty

Further to the point, rotations look like this:

RB: White, Harris, Burkhead
WR: Harry, Thomas, Gordon, Dorsett, Berrios
TE: LaCosse, Hollister
OL: Schwenke, Ferentz, Carras, Cajuste, Froholdt

DL: Butler, Simon, Wise
LB: Roberts, Sam
DB: Dawson, Crosson, Harmon, Williams, Jones, Melifonwou

I don't want to say stacked as there's depth issues at TE, DL and LB, but geez, it's looking good for another tilt.

Agree ...... Good position to be in at this juncture in the year.

The Draft is only one avenue through which to acquire players.

B.B. will pick over players that get cut from other lists, plus he always holds coin over for a mid season acquisition from other teams that he trades for in season.

We have pocketed an additional 4th in Next Years draft . He often trades for a player of positional need ( mid season ) who is in the last year of their contract ,who’s original team have no intention of giving said player, a big contract extension going forward.
If the trade bate from B.B. is better for the original team , than a projected compensatory pick, then B.B. often is able to execute a trade and then he essentialy rents that player to help him win a super bowl and if he moves on from NE in free agency, so be it and then NE takes the compensatory pick.

It’s what B.B. does better than most , list management and list manipulation.

Last edited:
Well, the Pats recently signing Jared Veldheer (OL) and Ben Watson (TE) fills two of the offseason moves I wanted to see. One more DL and if possible, one more LB and the roster looks pretty darn good. That said, perhaps DL can be filled by draftee Byron Cowart and LB Shilique Calhoun (FA signing) or Christian Sam. Naturally, it all depends on the salary cap but as 90 man rosters go, I'm very pleased.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back