Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say given the false dawns so far most are probably waiting for something officially stamped in the budget and the federal government officially confirming it will honour its commitment as well. I'm really wanting to celebrate this one but part of me just can't take the final leap yet until its confirmed for the budget. Does feel different this time as its not dependent on someone getting into power though.

Guess it mirrors our on field rebuild a bit, part of me is just holding back a little wary of it being another false dawn, but with the gut feeling that this time its different.
Once bitten twice shy hey. They not going to run it on the lions website unless it's good as done.

Capacity aside, it's all very exciting for our club to have a place to call home and decent facilities. And somewhere to hold our next premiership bash - on the off chance that won't happen before its built.

I don't want to be negative after such a positive announcement, but does anyone else kinda bump on the 10,000 capacity thing? Feels about 3000-5,000 too few.

Hopefully the design facilitates easy expansion down the line.
Apart from a final, I can't see the womens team attracting more than 5 or 6 thousand supporters, especially once they start charging entry.

I figure there will be room to expand as Fatcat08 mentioned. Especially if there's a long term contingency in there for the men to relocate.

Apart from a final, I can't see the womens team attracting more than 5 or 6 thousand supporters, especially once they start charging entry.

Yeah, I'm thinking more about additional revenue streams like the Suns have with Metricon.

Not familiar with what the Suns get from Metricon. Are you talking concerts, or other sporting teams/events?

Yeah, concerts and events mainly. There could be a nice niche for a 15,000 capacity outdoor stadium in the greater Brisbane area and well serviced by trains direct from the city.

10,000 puts it right up against the Riverstage.

Brisbane Entertainment Centre is 13,500 but it is indoors and somewhat antiquated. AFL stadiums obviously allow the ability to put additional capacity on field though. Hopefully we can tap into something there. Could be a nice money earner.

I'm pretty sure I heard a while back that there had been substantial groundwork already done in clearing the site so I don't think we've been sitting on our hands. I'm pretty sure most of the design has been locked down too given the latest graphics are substantially different to the ones we had when it was first launched.

You are entirely correct!!!!

Yeah, concerts and events mainly. There could be a nice niche for a 15,000 capacity outdoor stadium in the greater Brisbane area and well serviced by trains direct from the city.

Brisbane Entertainment Centre is 13,500 but it is indoors and somewhat antiquated. AFL stadiums obviously allow the ability to put additional capacity on field though. Hopefully we can tap into something there. Could be a nice money earner.

I've been out to Eaton Hills and if the ground is flat it's already ahead of there.

There is quite a large piece of land being cleared in Eden Station Rd at Springfield Central. Just behind the train station.
I wonder if this is for our new facilities.

Yes although part of it is probably for the multi storey car park they're putting in too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This one seems to have flown under the radar in recent times, but I'm pretty sure I saw it's funding was tied into the Cross River Rail so would be going ahead:
https://brisbanedevelopment.com/unveiled-new-2-billion-brisbane-live-entertainment-arena-precinct/
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/qu...oint-project-under-labor-20171112-p4ywyh.html

I think the seating seems about right for the community venue it is. Pretty hard to compare it with Metricon given the stated purpose - no governemtn wants to accused of building white elephants.

Man Cross River Rail is going to be amazing for this city.

To be honest until someone bites the bullet and develops a way to link all these services at points that aren't just the city centre than the actual affects of either this or the metro the council are doing are going to be limited

Man Cross River Rail is going to be amazing for this city.

It does my head in that there was basically no public transport infrastructure funding up there until Labor got back in, and down here it's the inverse with nothing until the Liberals broke Labor's stranglehold. So much complaining down here about the short term pain of line/road closures, etc, but switching from buses to light rail or trains every five minutes will be a game changer for the affected areas.

To be honest until someone bites the bullet and develops a way to link all these services at points that aren't just the city centre than the actual affects of either this or the metro the council are doing are going to be limited

I think it’s a “build it and they’ll come” thing.

A hefty bit of cash is being pumped into stadiums in Melbourne at the moment...I know it politically driven but verging on ridiculous given our situation.
Dont think its ridiculous at all. The Victorian Government value what AFL brings into the economy & community where the QLD Government doesnt. Political or not, AFL/Brisbane Lions/Gold Coast Suns will always have to work harder to get anything in QLD relative to Government support.

Dont think its ridiculous at all. The Victorian Government value what AFL brings into the economy & community where the QLD Government doesnt. Political or not, AFL/Brisbane Lions/Gold Coast Suns will always have to work harder to get anything in QLD relative to Government support.

Tale of two cities really isn't it. Always thought we should have invested in land in Melbourne and made a training base and sports club here.

A hefty bit of cash is being pumped into stadiums in Melbourne at the moment...I know it politically driven but verging on ridiculous given our situation.
That’s state govt money, in Melbourne where a lot of the tourism is driven by sport.
The money isn’t being directed to one club, but rather to improve facilities. Etihad Stadium to better link it with surrounds (because where it was built cuts divides docklands from the city). Ikon Park (princess park) & Western Oval for AFLW and local footy. And assistance in guaranteeing the grand final stays at the MCG for the next 30 years - so the MCC has the future planning to justify a redevelopment.
It’s all money for AFL - but not directly dropping money on one club.

Not to say that doesn’t happen - the money spent on Geelong is ridiculous.

Victoria recognises the benefit of having a strong sporting presence through football. Us Vics need something to do in winter!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back