Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue ultimately is to what extent should the average taxpayer be subsidising the cost of major sports events. Someone has to pay - either the clubs (and by extension, the fans through tickets and memberships) or the government (ie taxpayers). The costs of things like policing, health services, stadium maintenance etc has to be covered by someone.

A user pays system is fairer in most instances provided the user isn’t paying to raise revenue for other purposes. I mean, I hope the Lions aren’t paying to keep cricket at the Gabba.

Whether the stadium owners are managing the assets well is a different question. But I think it is reasonable that the clubs who gain the benefit of using the public asset and associated public services contribute to the costs of providing those things.

The transport levy is an unfortunately poor comparison to. Ethihad and MCG are walking distance within the city, whereas the Gabba & Metricon are not. I’m not familiar with Perth or Adelaide stadiums, but I think the comparison was made directly wit Melbourne. Do they get similarly additional transport put on, and free for ticket holders ( to the same level)?
Rent is the key factor, and it’s a reasonable question as to the true value v support.

Sounds like a rort. Gabba worst full time footy stadium in country yet one of highest costs with worst transport and no parking. Yay QLD
Eye opening. What a surprise that a Gov run program is Inefficient
Not sure any of your claims are accurate.
  • Worst full time footy stadium? Full time, and worst?
  • Worst transport? Maybe, due to location, but surely that automatically increases costs.
  • Government owned, but wouldn’t describe as Government run. They have a board of directors, not public service department heads.*
  • And as for “inefficient” from a public coffers perspective, it sounds like they’re doing nicely.
If anything, the issue is that it is run too much like a private corporation, rather than an administration taking care & providing protected use of public facilities.

*Yes, Government has power to make changes, but only so many, and should do so.

• Worst transport? Maybe, due to location, but surely that automatically increases costs.
  • Government owned, but wouldn’t describe as Government run. They have a board of directors, not public service department heads.*
  • And as for “inefficient” from a public coffers perspective, it sounds like they’re doing nicely.
If anything, the issue is that it is run too much like a private corporation, rather than an administration taking care & providing protected use of public facilities.

1) worst stadium that is used full time for footy (Afl)
2) Brisbane public transport is horrendous depending on area you live, very unreliable and very expensive. From my place it is 3 buses to gabba and I am within 10km of CBD. Gabba has 0 parking as we all know.

If people are paying for parking within 5 mins walk of the Gabba they are doing it wrong.

I drive to every game, and maybe need to pay once or twice a year at most.
Spot in. Plenty of parking just a short walk to.the Gabba.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

It's certainly at least the second worst major stadium in Australia, with ANZ perhaps taking the cake. Metricon is awful as well.

It does have the worst transport. The location is an excuse for the poor transport but that doesn't eliminate the fact that the transport is the worst.

I wouldn't bet money on their spending being efficient - maintenance costs, cleaning, policing, transport etc.

Ultimately the QLD government doesn't seem to invest as much into elite sports as other states do. That's fair enough, if the voters aren't interested in money being spent on elite sport then so be it. But it comes at the expense of the competitiveness of QLD teams. This is why the AFL/NRL/ARU are stepping in and lobbying. If they're unsuccessful, perhaps it has to be up to the AFL to look at fairer way of equalising the benefits of state money that only some clubs benefit from. But in the meantime it's worth at least pushing Stadiums Queensland as much as possible.

It does have the worst transport. The location is an excuse for the poor transport but that doesn't eliminate the fact that the transport is the worst.
Metricon is awful compared to the Gabba...

If people are paying for parking within 5 mins walk of the Gabba they are doing it wrong.

Don't get me wrong I have never paid for parking as I have a friend that works nearby and I get parking there. And yes it isn't that hard to get street parking if you drive around for long enough or get there early enough. The facilities actually provided by the stadium are 0 tho. Unless u own a new Hyundai. Bad planning all round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never have paid and never more than a 5 minute walk. People need to learn to reverse park.:)

Don't get me wrong I have never paid for parking as I have a friend that works nearby and I get parking there. And yes it isn't that hard to get street parking if you drive around for long enough or get there early enough. The facilities actually provided by the stadium are 0 tho. Unless u own a new Hyundai. Bad planning all round.
Actually doesn't need to be Hyundai anymore, but the precinct is pretty built up and old. Not sure if expected to reclaim land, but the locale and parking facilities can hardly be blamed on current administration, is my point. As Bunton mentioned, there's never a lack of buses headed in each direction. Further to my point, comparing to Melbourne with 2 stadia in the city is hardly fair comparison.

Anyway, it was probably a pedantic point to make (by both of us) as the real issue is rent, not the transport levy.

I pay for parking and am doing it wrongly.

Whereabouts do people actually park? I assumed it was all under the Gabba traffic area.

I pay for parking and am doing it wrongly.

Whereabouts do people actually park? I assumed it was all under the Gabba traffic area.

There are no limit parks all around the area. You just need to learn where. Doubt people will be willing to give up their secret spots though.

Doubt people will be willing to give up their secret spots though.
Not a chance!
nope.gif

Details of the bad deals all Qld teams are copping from Stadiums Queensland.

Back page of the paper today is the Suns threatening to leave Metricon unless they can get a better deal from Stadiums QLD. Maybe this issue will start getting some traction. Was only half paying attention but I think Gold Coast Titans might be in same boat.

Back page of the paper today is the Suns threatening to leave Metricon unless they can get a better deal from Stadiums QLD. Maybe this issue will start getting some traction. Was only half paying attention but I think Gold Coast Titans might be in same boat.

Titans are in a bad situation as well and had such a bad deal that they decided to pay by game.

QLD stadiums are just another example of how sport in Queensland is handicapped when compared to the rest of the country. Over it.
Although sport as a whole in Qld is going ok.
Qld alone would have come 4th or 5th at the Commonwealth games on the medal tally.
The funding for sport in general is there. Probably paid for in part, due to the exorbitant fees being charged by Stadiums Qld.

Although sport as a whole in Qld is going ok.
Qld alone would have come 4th or 5th at the Commonwealth games on the medal tally.
The funding for sport in general is there. Probably paid for in part, due to the exorbitant fees being charged by Stadiums Qld.
I hear what you say however the decisions of our honourable politicians providing funding for sports is all politically motivated and not in the best interests of sport in general. In other words, if providing funding for 1 sport rather than another to get votes is evident, that's where the $ will go.

I hear what you say however the decisions of our honourable politicians providing funding for sports is all politically motivated and not in the best interests of sport in general. In other words, if providing funding for 1 sport rather than another to get votes is evident, that's where the $ will go.
I agree, palychook is an absolute disgrace when it comes to making a decision on anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back