Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

interesting to note that during his SEN interview yesterday Rocky was saying that the new training/administration base announcement "was not too far away from what we are hearing internally" whooo hooo.

Link? Not doubting you, just wanna hear the interview.

Last edited:
One thing I took from Rocky's interview, apart from a sense that he is somewhat resigned to not being captain, was his concession that he tends to be 'honest' with his views but not always positive in his feedback (to teammates) and that that is something he has been working on.

I wouldn't take too much out of it but there is an article in the CM outline the need for a boutique stadium that can hold 10-20,000 mainly due to the success of the AFLW. In the article it states that the club have broached the possibility to expand the new training facility to have grandstand seating, lights and broadcasting infrastructure. Any extra money would be a good thing for our facilities. Go Swannie!

I wouldn't take too much out of it but there is an article in the CM outline the need for a boutique stadium that can hold 10-20,000 mainly due to the success of the AFLW. In the article it states that the club have broached the possibility to expand the new training facility to have grandstand seating, lights and broadcasting infrastructure. Any extra money would be a good thing for our facilities. Go Swannie!

AFLW Brisbane Lions: Push for mid-sized home ground gathers pace
Andrew Hamilton, The Courier-Mail
February 15, 2017 12:00am

AFL leaders will lobby state and federal governments for a mid-sized boutique stadium in Brisbane.

The lack of a suitable home for the Brisbane Lions’ women’s team is seen as the only obstacle to its continued growth.

The AFL women’s competition has been a roaring success so far, and if the Lions finish top, they have hosting rights for the grand final.

But other than the 42,000-seat Gabba, there is no stadium in Brisbane suitable for a grand final.

Each year the Lions AFL side play pre-season games at suburban grounds, as they do not have access to the Gabba until the premiership season begins.

CEO Gillon McLachlan confirmed the AFL was formulating a national facility plan as adequate stadia were an issue in several states.

Story

I dunno. I get there is a gap but is building a new stadium the most urgent thing to grow the game in this state? Assuming all Lions' men's games during the season are at the Gabba, we are then talking about men's preseason clashes and women's comp. Would that be any more than half a dozen games? If that is the predominant purpose, I don't think it justifies the investment.

Of course, if we can expand that use to be the home of all underaged and local finals, attract comps like the national youth championships and maybe find another code to share (secondary venue for soccer or league?), then it definitely has more merit.

When 7,000+ people show they are prepared to pay to see the women play, we can talk about building stadia. I agree with TBD, in the first year of the women's competition, how is that more urgent than our need for a training and admin base?

The two, facilities and also stadium, would be in collaboration with each other and if installing stadium seating and facilities was to inject further funds into the development of the training/admin facility then it is a plus. I'm not saying that it would increase the likelihood of more $$$ for training facilities but seeing the positives in it all. It would also generate money for the club if it were to hold AFLW games, pre-season games and state based league games.

I dunno. I get there is a gap but is building a new stadium the most urgent thing to grow the game in this state? Assuming all Lions' men's games during the season are at the Gabba, we are then talking about men's preseason clashes and women's comp. Would that be any more than half a dozen games? If that is the predominant purpose, I don't think it justifies the investment.

Of course, if we can expand that use to be the home of all underaged and local finals, attract comps like the national youth championships and maybe find another code to share (secondary venue for soccer or league?), then it definitely has more merit.
If the capacity is 20000 couldn't most mens games be played there, therefore giving a bargaining chip with gabba trust?

If the capacity is 20000 couldn't most mens games be played there, therefore giving a bargaining chip with gabba trust?

Unlikely. State Government funding will still be required and they'll ensure we still use the Gabba.

Unlikely. State Government funding will still be required and they'll ensure we still use the Gabba.
In all probability yes I agree, but if the afl actually injected money into the state and had a deal like etihad, the club wouldn't be beheld to the poor gabba deal. But that is a pipedream, you would need more than just the lions to use it.

If they can get it over the line i personally wouldn't be complaining.
Even if they were to build a stand to hold about 7500 to 10000 seats and the rest standing room surely that would not be out of the realms of possibility. I would imagine they are only looking for 5 to 10 million more than originally asked.
Its not like money is hard to come by or anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just step up AFL and help us get our training and admin base and install seating there.
That would appear to be the smartest thing to do.

Make the new training and admin base a genuine community and sporting hub, and make it so that it has several ovals/pitches, one of which has the capability to hold up to say 15K and hold more than one sporting type.

The problem seems to be a lack of coordination. Looking at the greater Brisbane region, it is effectively 4 different local governments (Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Ipswich, Logan). We've now got two different sites in Moreton Bay (Burpengary and Brendale) which have come on line in recent times for footy. We've seen Yeronga redeveloped in recent times in the Brisbane council area and we're talking about a Lions training base in Brisbane, albeit on federally controlled airport land. We know Ipswich was keen to set something up at Ipswich and I even think sites in Logan have been talked about.

We really need all the key stakeholders in the one room to outline a strategic plan, rather than different entities running off doing their own thing. Otherwise, we're every chance of continuing to have multiple modern football sites in SE Qld and none of them meeting the needs of the game.

We really need all the key stakeholders in the one room to outline a strategic plan, rather than different entities running off doing their own thing. Otherwise, we're every chance of continuing to have multiple modern football sites in SE Qld and none of them meeting the needs of the game.

monty-python-silly-olympics-o.gif

Make the new training and admin base a genuine community and sporting hub, and make it so that it has several ovals/pitches, one of which has the capability to hold up to say 15K and hold more than one sporting type.
But no cricket. If someone wants to use it for cricket, we tell them to * off, we don't want bowlers running all over our centre square.:imp:

The problem seems to be a lack of coordination. Looking at the greater Brisbane region, it is effectively 4 different local governments (Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Ipswich, Logan). We've now got two different sites in Moreton Bay (Burpengary and Brendale) which have come on line in recent times for footy. We've seen Yeronga redeveloped in recent times in the Brisbane council area and we're talking about a Lions training base in Brisbane, albeit on federally controlled airport land. We know Ipswich was keen to set something up at Ipswich and I even think sites in Logan have been talked about.

This would require AFL to have a plan and exhibit strong leadership. Focus on one larger facility, with at least 3 grounds, ample changeroom facilities for each one and the main ground can fit 7500 for pre-season matches.

After that, each council region should have 2 similar facilities (probably 2 grounds per facility would suffice), with a smaller capacity for the main ground.

Then AFLQ can bid to host every possible carnival from the National Under 18's, through to school-aged carnivals, to masters comps, to any possible AFLW pre-season comps in the future etc.

Would be nice, and the AFL have the kitty to assist, but having essentially 1 'A level' venue and 8 'B level' venues may be overkill.

This would require AFL to have a plan and exhibit strong leadership. Focus on one larger facility, with at least 3 grounds, ample changeroom facilities for each one and the main ground can fit 7500 for pre-season matches.

After that, each council region should have 2 similar facilities (probably 2 grounds per facility would suffice), with a smaller capacity for the main ground.

Then AFLQ can bid to host every possible carnival from the National Under 18's, through to school-aged carnivals, to masters comps, to any possible AFLW pre-season comps in the future etc.

Would be nice, and the AFL have the kitty to assist, but having essentially 1 'A level' venue and 8 'B level' venues may be overkill.
Agree with all of that.

The thing is, I don't think that establishing a venue for 7,500 people would be all that expensive. Most of the old suburban grounds could get 5,000 in without too many dramas - indeed, given how many of us used to jump the fence to avoid the entry charge, they probably catered for a lot more! Any football oval with some "hill" type viewing areas would suffice as a base. Getting to 7,500 capacity just requires a bit of planning, investment in basic facilities like parking, toilets etc and the ability to scale the facility up from the standard 3,000-5,000 using temp grandstands etc.

I guess the frustrating thing is that money has been spent on new facilities or upgrading old facilities and we still don't have somewhere really suitable for non-premiership games.

Agree with all of that.

The thing is, I don't think that establishing a venue for 7,500 people would be all that expensive. Most of the old suburban grounds could get 5,000 in without too many dramas - indeed, given how many of us used to jump the fence to avoid the entry charge, they probably catered for a lot more! Any football oval with some "hill" type viewing areas would suffice as a base. Getting to 7,500 capacity just requires a bit of planning, investment in basic facilities like parking, toilets etc and the ability to scale the facility up from the standard 3,000-5,000 using temp grandstands etc.

I guess the frustrating thing is that money has been spent on new facilities or upgrading old facilities and we still don't have somewhere really suitable for non-premiership games.

Yeah, the lack of foresight from the AFLQ and local clubs is certainly in the spotlight currently.

Agree with all of that.

Blacktown allegedly has a capacity of 8,000. While it has token stadium seating on one wing realistically it's just a banked hill right around the field that's going to be holding at least 7,000 of those entrants.

Everybody loves a hill. Why don't we just build banks around one of our new training ovals. Why do we even need a grandstand?

I reckon if everyone who is driving brings a trailer or ute load of earth and gets there early we can make a pretty good damn hill for viewing.
Of course that will reduce capacity to 300 cars.

I reckon if everyone who is driving brings a trailer or ute load of earth and gets there early we can make a pretty good damn hill for viewing.
Of course that will reduce capacity to 300 cars.
We could call it The Lions Landfill. Build it, they will come I say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back