News New Jumpers for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Me wearing my Essendon jumper so the police don’t pull me over for not wearing a seatbelt.
Straight sash is more anatomically correct but it doesn’t feel like proper Essendon jumper. And the part the seatbelt buckles into doesn’t come up that high, as opposed to the last one they wore which just had the one part of the seatbelt which has to cross to whole body to reach the slot.
Yes I’m nitpicking the seatbelt on a footy jumper that’s for a good cause, work is slow today.

I remember the original buckle up jumper. They had one up on ebay for ages and when I went to buy it it was sold.

I want Richmond to bring back their "Drink, Drive; Bloody Idiot." Sponsorship.

I think there’s room for red and green in Freo’s colour palette but probably not on the home jumper. The purple and white identity is very strong IMO. You don’t need to use all colours all the time.

Purple chevrons home
Green base for away
Red base for clash/extra sales

The chevrons look great but you could weave the anchor into one of the alternates for something different.
A Green based chevron guernsey would give me 2012 Canberra Raiders vibes
raiders12home.jpeg

I originally thought Nike came up with the design until I found about Ian Kidd. I wonder if Cunningham has any early concept designs.
I had an online call with Brian last night.
He is, as you might imagine, an absolute legend.

He went through their process, which was to deliberately have something modern at the front, and the Port Adelaide traditional back, to signify the past.
The brief Ian Kidd was given was to come up with something that represented Port Adelaide's history, but was modernised.
He came up with the three designs. The club then decided which was Home, Away and Pre-Season.

The Home jumper was part prison bar, part lightning bolt, part magpie feathers.
The Away jumper was lightning bolts
The Pre-Season jumper was a more obvious lightning bolt.

The NBA had done studies on which colours appealed to the market and of them (Teal, Purple, Black, Silver) Teal was chosen as it represented the ocean around Port Adelaide.
(Vancouver had an expansion NBA team and they had adopted Teal.)

Another interesting point, the club never referred to Port Adelaide's traditional jumper as the Prison Bars.
It was always the wharf pylons.
However, as happened with South Melbourne & North Melbourne, a nickname meant to be disparaging has been adopted and seen as a positive.

There will be an interesting podcast on the history of the Port Adelaide jumpers released very soon.

Last edited:
Very much could be. Under Armours hem tags are stitched or heatpressed on. The hem tag on this guernsey is printed, as ISC does.
Not sure what is happening at Essendon at moment- 60% off the Under Armour gear that has sponsors on it, 30% for UA merch that doesn't have a sponsor- either UA are finishing up a year early or a new major sponsor(s) are coming onboard

With UA (as with Puma, adidas, nike, cottonon) they are most likely using a locally based manufacturer for the PI gear as not sure the Australian market would be big enough to do in their own facilities

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what is happening at Essendon at moment- 60% off the Under Armour gear that has sponsors on it, 30% for UA merch that doesn't have a sponsor- either UA are finishing up a year early or a new major sponsor(s) are coming onboard

With UA (as with Puma, adidas, nike, cottonon) they are most likely using a locally based manufacturer for the PI gear as not sure the Australian market would be big enough to do in their own facilities
Amart is in the final year of their 5yr deal-must be a new company taking over them as joint major sponsor

Well good news is if the giants make the grand final, they won't be wearing the crappest clash jumper ever made, like they were forced to do in 2019.

Last edited:
Don’t know if aflw is technically on a separate thread but

No to photographs on footy jumpers.
No to that mis-shapen 2011 Hawk, now available in Pride colours.
So that's a No from me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back