New VFL/ AFL competetion?

Remove this Banner Ad

I see that the Record got a thoroughly deserved spray in the Inside Football this week ... there's another publication that has seen better days!

As i have said in a thread ages ago the AFL want to control all things footy and stuff the VFL , WAFL etc etc and the AFL just dont care .:thumbsdown:

The AFL are going too far and must be reigned in by the VFL , WAFL etc .

The AFL reserves alignment has been a disaster for the old VFA, it's nothing more than a glorified reserves comp and other as other have said the clubs have lost their identity, and someone tell the Bullants to start calling themselves Preston again ffs.

That said I think the second and third teirs of the sport in Victoria does need an overhaul, there isn't really a structural progression from one level of competition to another.

As i have said in a thread ages ago the AFL want to control all things footy and stuff the VFL , WAFL etc etc and the AFL just dont care .:thumbsdown:

The AFL are going too far and must be reigned in by the VFL , WAFL etc .

Tell me about it, the AFL is trying to treat the hearts and indentities out of the respective state league competitions.

This clearly smacks of arrogance.

Give the $FL clubs their own reserves competition without a soul like the VFL is now.

Unfortunately, I reckon this would result in the swallowing up of the aligned clubs like Preston, Sandy, Coburg and Box Hill as they may struggle to break away and reform in their true identity with the $FL taking them lock stock and two smoking barrels as a ressies side.

Something has to be done and allow people the opportunity to see a metropolitan-wide competition (lets call it the VFA ... has a nice ring to it)with 10-12 teams (equating to 2 per competition). Each season, relegate the lowest or two lowest clubs back to their affiliated competitions and replace them with the premiers from that competition(s). Then the VFA would be back from its 15-odd year hiatus and the records and deeds of the past greats of this competition can be resurrected and celebrated properly.

I think the idea of multiple divisions for a 'new VFA' is a bit premature early on and it may affect the leagues as well by whacking 10 clubs out of their structure - try 2 to start with and take it from there.

That way the $FL gets their own competition for themselves and Victorian football followers get their tradition and identity back ... I am sure I know where the crowds would go!

As an example, based on the current ladders, we could see:

Chelsea Heights (SFL)
Greenvale (EDFL)
Heidleberg (NFL)
Maribyrnong Park (EDFL)
Montmorency (NFL)
Noble Park (EFL)
Scoresby (EFL)
Spotswood (WRFL)
St Kilda City (SFL)
Sunshine (WRFL)

If Port or Frankston were cast aside in a $FL Reserves formation, then they could be admitted and assigned to a local league if they were relegated - Port to WRFL and Frankston could be aligned to the to SFL or could opt out of the system and into the MPNFL.

If an EDFL side was relegated then they'd be replaced by the EDFL premiers, a WRFL side with the WRFL premiers et al.

MPNFL didn't make it? I guess pros and cons come into it:

Pros: Significant population centre of Melbourne would be covered. Frankston, Cranbourne, Narre Warren, Berwick.

Cons: Travel issues. Portsea is further from Melbourne than Geelong by about 20 km.

Liking the proposal a lot, StacksOn. It has a feel of the VAFA about it, but it's more like a Champions league. And regardless of whether an "eastern seaboard" comp gets up, it'd be beneficial for Victorian footy if your structure came in place regardless.

As an example, based on the current ladders, we could see:

Chelsea Heights (SFL)
Greenvale (EDFL)
Heidleberg (NFL)
Maribyrnong Park (EDFL)
Montmorency (NFL)
Noble Park (EFL)
Scoresby (EFL)
Spotswood (WRFL)
St Kilda City (SFL)
Sunshine (WRFL)

If Port or Frankston were cast aside in a $FL Reserves formation, then they could be admitted and assigned to a local league if they were relegated - Port to WRFL and Frankston could be aligned to the to SFL or could opt out of the system and into the MPNFL.

If an EDFL side was relegated then they'd be replaced by the EDFL premiers, a WRFL side with the WRFL premiers et al.
Frankston would more then likely go to MPNFL if the VFL disbanded or in worsed case scenario wouldn't be around at all.

If you wanted to cut travel, you could have two leagues, east & west. Have NFL, WRFL, EDFL in the north/west, EFL, SFL, MPNFL in the south/east. Have two premiers play off? just a thought.
Although i'd prefer the top teams playing each other, even if it means a little more travel.

I didn't add the MPNFL in because strictly speaking they are a country league (affiliated with the VCFL) and we are referring to a metropolitan competition.

It would be good if they were involved but on the other hand, I dunno if a game such as Hoppers Crossing v Beaconsfield or Greenvale v Rye would be appealing in terms of travel.

I didn't add the MPNFL in because strictly speaking they are a country league (affiliated with the VCFL) and we are referring to a metropolitan competition.

It would be good if they were involved but on the other hand, I dunno if a game such as Hoppers Crossing v Beaconsfield or Greenvale v Rye would be appealing in terms of travel.

Good point:thumbsu: but it would be interesting to have ay least one club from there and one from the Geelong area aswell.

I say go for it. I don't really think it would be too much of a financial imposition on the AFL clubs to pay a few extra guys the bare minimum to play reserves footy. The lists would probably need to be expanded to, say, 55 or 60, so there may need to be tinkering done with regard to base payments and the like for a VFL squad. But the VFL is just a frankenstein's monster at the moment and it would be far better off for it revert back to its unaligned 'VFA' status. I hope it happens, but I guess we'd better be sure all wrinkles are ironed out beforehand.

If Port Melbourne were cast aside, who would trully want us?

The club is a VFL (Lives as a VFA Club) after all and like almost all the sides in the comp barely survives without I am sure a lot of people going well out of their way to help.

However (I stress I'm trying to be a typical brash Port Melbourne fan) the reality is the club is still Port Melbourne, I doubt any local coompetition clubs would to be playing us for the flag. I dont think it would be unreasonable to suggest that Port with its largest VFL attendences, reasonable ground and good facilties (major development being built) and strongest away support would be able to win a suburban comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club is a VFL (Lives as a VFA Club) after all and like almost all the sides in the comp barely survives without I am sure a lot of people going well out of their way to help.

However (I stress I'm trying to be a typical brash Port Melbourne fan) the reality is the club is still Port Melbourne, I doubt any local coompetition clubs would to be playing us for the flag. I dont think it would be unreasonable to suggest that Port with its largest VFL attendences, reasonable ground and good facilties (major development being built) and strongest away support would be able to win a suburban comp.

Agree Port are very well supported and probably local comps would not let them enter.
But realistically the comp as it stands is a big pile of steaming turds.

I certainly love if Fitzroy were to re-enter a stand-alone VFA-VFL. I say re-enter because the Roys were in the competition from 1884-1896.

Fitzroy have 1,500 members (800 shareholder members) in 2010, but of course as an amateur club they only turn over $100k a year. Clearly not enough. Extra funds would need to be generated from somewhere.

Imagine if you will... the Fitzroy Football Club with their base at the Brunswick Oval playing home games at the Junction Oval with the Kevin Murray stand full on game day.

Ideally perhaps a VFA-VFL with fourteen teams (Home ground in brackets)

Rural Victoria / Northern Melbourne
1. North Ballarat Roosters (Ballarat Stadium)
2. Bendigo Diggers (QEO)
3. Prahran Two Blues (Toorak Park)
4. Preston Bullants (Preston City Oval)

Central Melbourne
5. Williamstown Seagulls (Burbank Oval)
6. Port Melbourne Boroughs (TEAC Oval)
7. Coburg Lions (Coburg City Oval)
8. Fitzroy Maroons/Roys (Junction Oval)

Southern Melbourne
9. Sandringham Zebras (Trevor Barker Oval)
10. Frankston Dolphins (Frankston Park)
11. Springvale (Casey) Scorpions (Casey Fields)

Eastern Melbourne
12. Box Hill Mustangs (Box Hill City Oval)

Western Melbourne
13. Werribee Tigers (Chirnside Park)

14th club?: Albury-Wodonga (?) Castlemaine Magpies (?) Sunshine Crows (?)

Oh well...we can only dream.

You've got Prahran and Coburg mixed up there - Prahran is definitely not in the north.

For a 14th team, maybe Traralgon or some other Latrobe Valley/Gippsland team could come in... leaves the west, north and northeast of the state without representation.

Personal thoughts

No chance
Box Hill Mustangs (probably end up as Hawthorn Reserves)
Casey Scorpions (probably end up as Melbourne Reserves)
North Ballarat Roosters (probably end up as Nth Melbourne Reserves)
Bendigo Diggers (disquiet over side at BFL level, happy to see it go)
Prahran Two Blues (not likely due to current VAFA standing)
Sandringham Zebras (probably end up at St Kilda Reserves - unfortunately)

Maybe
Coburg Lions (depends on Richmond's plans)
Port Melbourne Boroughs (TEAC Oval)
Preston Bullants (depends on Carlton's plans)
Williamstown Seagulls (depends on Bulldogs' plans)
Werribee Tigers (depends on Bulldogs' plans)

Doubtful
Fitzroy Maroons/Roys (VAFA status, money)

Likely
Frankston Dolphins

Others
Albury-Wodonga (AFL tentacles to get first go if at all, resistance at OMFL level, Murray Kangaroos experiment as precedent)
Castlemaine Magpies (not strong enough even for BFL)
Sunshine Crows (that ship has sailed long ago just like Yarraville)
Traralgon (ship has sailed, would be strong resistance from the GFL who are trying to stabilise their league after problems with structure for a number of years)

I reckon you might get two to four at best to join the suburban clubs.

With there ground/facilties, supporter base, would be a great addition to any local league.

It's highly doubtful if they did drop down to local level that they would keep there current list together, a few players would be be there to play VFL (higher standard), as they are trying to get rookie listed or drafted to the AFL. So if they did drop down, some may go back to their local club or chase money at other local clubs. Even so, if they keeped quite a few of their list would be interesting to see how they go.

It's all hypothetical of course.

Port Melbourne might be more likely to pursue the rumour that arose a couple of years ago, that they were going to join the SANFL...

If Richmond have their ultimate way, Coburg will die off. Moreland City Council won't even guarantee Coburg exclusive use of their home ground, hence we're seeing games played up at Craigieburn... that's Richmond's influence. And Coburg is heavily reliant on the Tigers' support. I'd think Box Hill are far more likely to continue than Coburg are.

When the alignments first occurred ~10 years ago, Box Hill was one of the stronger off-field outfits, like Sandringham; Coburg was struggling and they'd become "Coburg-Fitzroy" to shore up some extra support. I can't imagine that's changed much. The Hawks' link to Box Hill was clear and not surprising: same focus (eastern suburbs) and largely same colours.

Good point Omegaville.

Swap Coburg LIONS Tigers, Nthn PRESTON Bullants, Frankston Dolphins

FOR

Box Hill MUSTANGS Hawks ( well supported, have backers, council loves them),
Nth Ballarat Roosters (supported, need a team in the area),
Casey Scorpians (need a team in the South-South East, council AFL etc spent loads of money out there).

LIST:
VFA: TAC CUP:
Bendigo Bendigo Pioneers
Box Hill Eastern Ranges
Casey Oakleigh Chargers
Heidelberg Nthn Knights
Gippsland Gipps' Power
North City* Calder Cannons
Ovens* Murray Bushrangers
Peninsula* Dandenong Stingrays
Port Melbourne Sandringham Dragons
Sunraysia Sunraysia (Spirit)
Werribee Geelong Falcons
Williamstown Western Jets

*North City combined Coburg and Preston.
*Peninsula combine Frankston, Sandringham and the MPNFL
*Ovens either Albury-Wodonga, Wangaratta or Shepparton

My two cents worth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back