Next Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Caracella is the only coach on that list that would be able to work with what is available on our list.
We use to play a similar style to the Tigers.
But getting him to WA?
WA assistant coaches Longmuir, J Corey, are there any others?

Interesting, what makes you say Caracella?

I am only going off praises and idle comments of these coaches, I have no idea about their ability to strategise or get on with players.

One can only wonder why a man of Lyon's standing in the game doesn't have hungry, would be senior coaches knocking the door down to learn from the master coach.

Obviously geography may play a part for some, but don't kid yourself, a genuine fully committed candidate would crawl over broken glass for such an opportunity.

A couple of months ago I asked a serious question..."who exactly is on Freo's match committee?"

We assume it's Ross and some, if not all, the assistant coaches. No one knows for certain. They are never disclosed.

If you ever want to know who's coming in or going out of the team listen to Ross at his post game press conferences and / or the early in the week media release through Freo FC. Whenever Ross indicates a player might need a rest or might have done enough to get a game, bingo he's in or out. It's as though one man makes those decisions (and makes them very early) and everyone else falls into place. Hardly a conducive environment to encourage anyone of talent to uproot and move to WA.

A couple of years ago we were told Ross had relinquished a lot of control to his assistants and it all went pear shaped. Really? Do you really believe Ross let the inmates run the asylum? Remember many of those assistants had barely walked in to the club and we're supposed to believe Ross handed over significant control of his minor premiership team to them?

One can only wonder if Lyon's presence makes it extra difficult to encourage players, especially forwards, to transfer here. His perceived defence first game would make Freo a no go zone for any top flight forward.

Lyon's job is safe, his long term big bucks contract will see to that.

Will he ultimately take us to the promised land? No. IMO. Sorry.:(

He’s dumb is he? You know this how?
Fcked if I know how Ross Lyon sounds inspiring in contrast....
Gee there are some sheep on here that agree with the majority.....
Get an opinion based on fact.
He is actually very astute... but ask anyone on here, he’s just a dumb Cro market gardener???
For fcuks sake.....

Well, he is not coaching a WAFL club. He is not coaching a VFL club. He is not coaching a SANFL club. He is not even coaching whatever they call Queensland clubs. He is not even an assistant at another AFL club and you are trying to say that he would be a better coach than Ross Lyon? Seriously? If Ross leaves Freo for whatever reason (mega media pressure not discluded) there will be several Victorian clubs chomping at the bit believe me. I wouldn't pass out if the Saints were one of them.
Having said all that, why is Brett Kirk never mentioned?
**Is discluded even a word?

Haters will see what they want to see.

I often see Freo's inexperienced players kick poorly in to our inside50 to a poor place. That is very different to saying they just bomb it in as per RTB's game plan. If it is Freo's plan and it is so unsuccessful, then why does Fyfe (and Neale) have such good Scoring Involvement numbers (compared to others).

Yeo is one of the Slimes biggest i50 producers, but because he often just bombs it in to their forward 50, he has relatively poor scoring involvements, comparatively speaking.

Blaming the coach for our game plan after a loss is what I expect from haters on a witch hunt. Especially when our i50 numbers are very poor ... further contradicting an argument that we just bomb it in.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
........wow. Haters? Mate.......Just wow.

Fwiw I don’t get all the Sumich hate.
It seems the populist thing to hate him around here.
Not an advocate but I don’t get it.
He's a soft mentality type coach. When the going gets tough, he's not the one to rely on. He isn't currently on any team, state league or local league. You can't just take a coach who's not appointed anywhere. He's not the right man for this job, at all.

He's a soft mentality type coach. When the going gets tough, he's not the one to rely on. He isn't currently on any team, state league or local league. You can't just take a coach who's not appointed anywhere. He's not the right man for this job, at all.
He's the WA U18 coach. Not that I'd have him coaching FFC, but he is currently employed as a full time coach.

I don't hate Ross one bit. He has by far been our most successful coach in club history. However, he has an outdated defensive game plan, reluctance to blood youth (prior to last two seasons). He is so stuck to this game plan which is granted due to success he has had with it but AFL is about constant innovation and improvement which I don't think he has implemented. He constnantly plays guys in positions they aren't suited for and maintains it for so long on the back of this game plan that effectively either compounds their inconsistency or disrupts them as footballers.

Examples:
- Banfield had great success as a forward with stints as a big bodied midfielder, now he is a tagger.
- Matera is a goal kicking forward pocket not a midfield option providing a link up target across the middle.
- Cox was drafted on the back of being an AA defender, don't think he has been trialed there once.

Anyway, point is, discussing the future of a new coach should not be about hate but more about identifying the improvement of the playing list and sometimes the incumbent simply cant do that. I reckon a new coach, someone younger and with new ideas would do wonders for our group because on paper we have some sensational players.

Think Ballantyne and Danyle Pearce getting a gig is pretty scary.

Johnson and Sandilands probably a year too long, but I never rated either that incredibly.

But jeeez, seeing Danyle Pearce run through the banner again...

If Ross Lyon was to go, it would be Sam Mitchell for me easily, not even close. The guy knows his footy, has helped incorporate the Hawthorn style at West Coast and has got their average midfield looking like All-Australians!

You can tell when he gets interviewed that he is switched on so I see where you are coming from.

At the same time, I don't want to play like the Hawks/Eagles. Short kicking is boring to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was that play two weeks ago where Ryan kicked to Fyfe in the middle, he gathered, handballed to Mundy who kicked to Matera GOAL. 13 seconds.
Where was that sort of play??

NYou can try The "leaving for family reasons" when really the boss was getting a new five year contract leaving no path for promotion and no reson to hang around being clobbered for another 5 years for them.

What a load of cobblers.

I don't hear much crying, sobbing and sooking from the hawks assistant coaches because Clarkson is blocking their career path to head coach of hawthorn. Promotion to head coach is usually out of your club to a head coaching role. The opportunities are greater if you are out of a good club and less if you are under an unsuccessful coach - who is banging at St Kildas doors trying to poach coaches?

Those 2 had their career prospects enhanced by being at Freo to the end of 2015, it was for them a sellers market and they both went a step up from the roles they had. Nonetheless, neither of them are head coaches.

Kirk in particular, went back to Sydney - he would have had more jobs and more senior roles for him in Melbourne. There is a reality - family, wife, kids. They get a coaching gig in their 30's and are in the baby zone. If they have such a demanding job, the wife makes up for it and does more of the family stuff - they hate it when they haven't got their mum to share babysitting duties with and their bff to share a bottle of wine for lunch.

These guys have paid their dues to their careers and lived interstate, they want home now.

Think Ballantyne and Danyle Pearce getting a gig is pretty scary.

Johnson and Sandilands probably a year too long, but I never rated either that incredibly.

But jeeez, seeing Danyle Pearce run through the banner again...

What exactly does RL and the coaching group is going to change by maintaining this.

Sandilands has sadly gone on too long as he is blocking the development of replacements by denying them invaluable game time. It's not like any of the players you mentioned will feature in the next potential grand final team.

I'm a poster who can legitimately refer to RTB as 'the kid'.

That said, AFL is a young man's game. It's a beast which constantly moves and evolves and the man holding the coaching reins must be able to adjust and adapt with it.

As much as RTB has been great for our club, I personally don't think he has the capacity to reinvent himself / his coaching style to take this list to the ultimate goal. Perhaps no one can.

Our list is several years away from being a serious contender, Ross turns 52 later this year. A total of eight men have won a total of 10 VFL / AFL premierships at the age of 52 or older.

The complete list:

John Worrall (Ess): Age 52; year 1912; 5th flag.
Jock McHale (Coll): 52 and 53; 1935 and 36; 6th and 7th flags.
Frank Hughes (Mel): 54; 1948; 5th flag.
Allan Jeans (Haw): 53 and 56; 1986 and 89; 3rd and 4th flags.
David Parkin (Car): 53; 1995; 4th flag.
Denis Pagan (North): 52; 1999; 2nd flag.
Kevin Sheedy (Ess): 52; 2000; 4th flag.
Mick Malthouse (Coll): 57; 2010; 3rd flag.

Most members on that list are considered AFL coaching royalty.

No one has ever won a VFL / AFL premiership for the first time aged 52 or older. No one.

Well, he is not coaching a WAFL club. He is not coaching a VFL club. He is not coaching a SANFL club. He is not even coaching whatever they call Queensland clubs. He is not even an assistant at another AFL club and you are trying to say that he would be a better coach than Ross Lyon? Seriously? If Ross leaves Freo for whatever reason (mega media pressure not discluded) there will be several Victorian clubs chomping at the bit believe me. I wouldn't pass out if the Saints were one of them.
Having said all that, why is Brett Kirk never mentioned?
**Is discluded even a word?

Good little ramble cobber.
Didn’t know I advocated Sumich....I just don’t get the hate and disdain argument towards him.

I wasn’t creating an opinion for him, just outlining we need to get our heads out of our arses and seek accountability across the board .... and stop seeing Lyon as infallible.

For the record as others have said he coached the State U18’s last year and they exceeding expectations.
Don’t get all presumptuous again, I’m just stating fact.

Have a good one and get back around!
Baa baa

I'm a poster who can legitimately refer to RTB as 'the kid'.

That said, AFL is a young man's game. It's a beast which constantly moves and evolves and the man holding the coaching reins must be able to adjust and adapt with it.

As much as RTB has been great for our club, I personally don't think he has the capacity to reinvent himself / his coaching style to take this list to the ultimate goal. Perhaps no one can.

Our list is several years away from being a serious contender, Ross turns 52 later this year. A total of eight men have won a total of 10 VFL / AFL premierships at the age of 52 or older.

The complete list:

John Worrall (Ess): Age 52; year 1912; 5th flag.
Jock McHale (Coll): 52 and 53; 1935 and 36; 6th and 7th flags.
Frank Hughes (Mel): 54; 1948; 5th flag.
Allan Jeans (Haw): 53 and 56; 1986 and 89; 3rd and 4th flags.
David Parkin (Car): 53; 1995; 4th flag.
Denis Pagan (North): 52; 1999; 2nd flag.
Kevin Sheedy (Ess): 52; 2000; 4th flag.
Mick Malthouse (Coll): 57; 2010; 3rd flag.

Most members on that list are considered AFL coaching royalty.

No one has ever won a VFL / AFL premiership for the first time aged 52 or older. No one.

Alan Joyce- Hawthorn 1988 (filling in for Jeans) by default and 1991 49 years old.

If Ross Lyon was to go, it would be Sam Mitchell for me easily, not even close. The guy knows his footy, has helped incorporate the Hawthorn style at West Coast and has got their average midfield looking like All-Australians!
He'll take over Hawthorn when Clarko steps down at the end of next year imo. I suspect this was the plan the whole time sadly.

I don't hate Ross one bit. He has by far been our most successful coach in club history. However, he has an outdated defensive game plan, reluctance to blood youth (prior to last two seasons). He is so stuck to this game plan which is granted due to success he has had with it but AFL is about constant innovation and improvement which I don't think he has implemented. He constnantly plays guys in positions they aren't suited for and maintains it for so long on the back of this game plan that effectively either compounds their inconsistency or disrupts them as footballers.

Examples:
- Banfield had great success as a forward with stints as a big bodied midfielder, now he is a tagger.
- Matera is a goal kicking forward pocket not a midfield option providing a link up target across the middle.
- Cox was drafted on the back of being an AA defender, don't think he has been trialed there once.

Anyway, point is, discussing the future of a new coach should not be about hate but more about identifying the improvement of the playing list and sometimes the incumbent simply cant do that. I reckon a new coach, someone younger and with new ideas would do wonders for our group because on paper we have some sensational players.

Banfield did tag most of last year though

He'll take over Hawthorn when Clarko steps down at the end of next year imo. I suspect this was the plan the whole time sadly.
He shouldn't. Should take a look at Bucks and see how long it has taken him.

He needs a few years as an assistant first. He is never going to have a problem getting a gig. Don't rush.

What a load of cobblers.

I don't hear much crying, sobbing and sooking from the hawks assistant coaches because Clarkson is blocking their career path to head coach of hawthorn. Promotion to head coach is usually out of your club to a head coaching role. The opportunities are greater if you are out of a good club and less if you are under an unsuccessful coach - who is banging at St Kildas doors trying to poach coaches?

Those 2 had their career prospects enhanced by being at Freo to the end of 2015, it was for them a sellers market and they both went a step up from the roles they had. Nonetheless, neither of them are head coaches.

Kirk in particular, went back to Sydney - he would have had more jobs and more senior roles for him in Melbourne. There is a reality - family, wife, kids. They get a coaching gig in their 30's and are in the baby zone. If they have such a demanding job, the wife makes up for it and does more of the family stuff - they hate it when they haven't got their mum to share babysitting duties with and their bff to share a bottle of wine for lunch.

These guys have paid their dues to their careers and lived interstate, they want home now.
There's a load of old cobblers for a start. Nanette and the four Malthouse kids grew up and loved it here, and Simpson's wife and their four kids in the babysitting zone as well and have no problem finding many volunteers to help. Mitchell's wife and kids wold have no problem staying as well, if there was a senior job.

Brett Kirk would have stayed if Lyon's contract wasn't renewed. He was Fyfe's mentor when he first came to the club and maybe responsible for much of the success Freo had. Lloyd's family circumstances had changed and it was difficult here for him but Sumich definitely left because of Ross and the inflexible mental brick wall the they were bashing up against. Big problem for us is who they replaced these three with. Those guys made RTB look good and were a bit reason for some success.

Most clubs actually have an application process they adhere to. Didn't happen with Ross (and the few times it did happen you wonder if the members had a West Coast interests) and many thought he was here for that short fix before he renegotiated his contract.

Last edited:
He shouldn't. Should take a look at Bucks and see how long it has taken him.

He needs a few years as an assistant first. He is never going to have a problem getting a gig. Don't rush.
His work with our midfield has been magnificent so far. He will be an amazing senior coach imo. Depends who gets him first. but I reckon he came to us on the provision that he'd be back at Hawthorn when he finishes. I rate Lyon highly though. I'd hold onto him for a couple years still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back