Next Generation academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still no idea what’s happening with the NGA next season. Getting Sladojevic and Borlase is a key advantage we need to keep.
Hopefully AFC are trying to stall this for as long as possible before they enact this change if the AFL are really going this way. Maybe we will be able to get Sladojevic next year but Borlase in 2020 will be the question.

[www.deviantart.com] Inside-Clock-Animation-Version-136237316 [e].gif
[www.deviantart.com] Inside-Clock-Animation-Version-136237316 [e].gif [1.3mb]
[gfycat.com] discover mechanical-clock-gifs.gif
[gfycat.com] discover mechanical-clock-gifs.gif [0.9mb]
[www.pinterest.com] pin 375487687666814726  [e].gif
[www.pinterest.com] pin 375487687666814726  [e].gif [0.7mb]
[imgur.com] gallery j0TlF OdRBsgJ [e].gif
[imgur.com] gallery j0TlF OdRBsgJ [e].gif [1.2mb]

Last edited:

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
The AFL should just give all clubs Academy's, not NGA's but full academy's. Divide Aust up by population with a weighting to traditional AFL areas. Clubs put time and money back into local talent development. Then at the draft all clubs have the ability to match at a discount (same as northern clubs do now) the players they have developed. Only fair way to do it.

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
The AFL should just give all clubs Academy's, not NGA's but full academy's. Divide Aust up by population with a weighting to traditional AFL areas. Clubs put time and money back into local talent development. Then at the draft all clubs have the ability to match at a discount (same as northern clubs do now) the players they have developed. Only fair way to do it.
Bring back zones I say but AFL would never do it. It would make SA and WA teams stronger, would have some Vic clubs struggling because their talent identification and development is s**t and it would absolutely wipe the QLD and NSW teams off the map.

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Bring back zones I say but AFL would never do it. It would make SA and WA teams stronger, would have some Vic clubs struggling because their talent identification and development is s**t and it would absolutely wipe the QLD and NSW teams off the map.
The problem with Zones is there could be kid who could play AFL but he is in a strong zone so misses out. With the academy system which is a mix of zone & draft the teams get the strongest local lads but those with ability have the opportunity to get a game at a weaker team, thus making them stronger and improving the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd email and ask, but going on your attempts does not seem much point
Bit different situations probably worth it, I’m sure they’d be happy to clarify rules that have already been announced to the public (SANFL rules).
The bit I haven’t been able to get anywhere is if the AFC are giving up rights to ALL NGA players if they are considered top 30 prospects - which would be typically soft of the club. Teams like the Pies and North get to take full advantage but as soon as it benefits Adelaide it’s too bad.
I understand there’s angst in the indigenous community of access and opportunity to the academies but there’s no good reason to give up the multicultural access (top 30) on top of it all. If we do that we will never get a player worth having or highly talented out of the academy which to me defeats the purpose of even having one. If it doesn’t benefit the club why should we have to invest in it other than to be nice and fuzzy with minority groups - the AFL is the only ones benefiting from that. If the AFC cave I’m going to be so fed up.

Nah, NSW and QLD would actually be fine, most of those clubs have been killing it out of the academies (except gold coast).

Zones would be a damn scary in the hands of WA and SA teams. Especially us and West Coast who are two of the stronger clubs in a development sense.

Bit different situations probably worth it, I’m sure they’d be happy to clarify rules that have already been announced to the public (SANFL rules).
The bit I haven’t been able to get anywhere is if the AFC are giving up rights to ALL NGA players if they are considered top 30 prospects - which would be typically soft of the club. Teams like the Pies and North get to take full advantage but as soon as it benefits Adelaide it’s too bad.
I understand there’s angst in the indigenous community of access and opportunity to the academies but there’s no good reason to give up the multicultural access (top 30) on top of it all. If we do that we will never get a player worth having or highly talented out of the academy which to me defeats the purpose of even having one. If it doesn’t benefit the club why should we have to invest in it other than to be nice and fuzzy with minority groups - the AFL is the only ones benefiting from that. If the AFC cave I’m going to be so fed up.

The main question is how easy would it to be to hide a potential top 30 talent and could a club purposely keep someone like that out of the spotlight?

There are always a few top 10 talents a year out that don't get drafted, how hard would it be to create that situation on purpose?

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
The main question is how easy would it to be to hide a potential top 30 talent and could a club purposely keep someone like that out of the spotlight?

There are always a few top 10 talents a year out that don't get drafted, how hard would it be to create that situation on purpose?
It’s probably a slight discount naturally as clubs ignore them as the club with the academy may put clubs off them from the start of the year thinking they won’t have access or the player may start building allegiance to that club.

BUT. We shouldn’t even need to be put into that situation, it’s madness.

It’s probably a slight discount naturally as clubs ignore them as the club with the academy may put clubs off them from the start of the year thinking they won’t have access or the player may start building allegiance to that club.

BUT. We shouldn’t even need to be put into that situation, it’s madness.

I agree. I'd rather cop the bad PR for not being supportive of our indigenous communities then give up this advantage.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree. I'd rather cop the bad PR for not being supportive of our indigenous communities then give up this advantage.
If we were honest about it in the media (needing the advantage to match the Melbourne clubs advantage for equality purposes) there’d be no way we could be criticised. If this was Collingwood Eddie McGuire would be up in arms and it would never happen. Sometimes we just don’t stand up for ourselves enough (Tippett, Rendell, Bailey, Dangerfield, Gunston, Troy Pannell incident, David Noble AFL endorsed poaching, salary cap/outside AFL salary cap earning potential inequality etc.). It’s almost impossible to win a premiership as an SA club right now, too many disadvantages to compete.

Apr 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide

I agree. Bring back zones. But limited to access. One pick per year or two years. Basically one pre round each draft, each club gets one kid. Then the rest in draft as usual.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Thanks.

Follow up question, can the NG guys play in our SANFL team?
Not all but some can, as mentioned it’s also up to the SANFL club in some cases, I think if the player has come through the juniors of an SANFL club they’re the clubs’ player.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
This probably should be a cultural issue for the AFL to deal with, perhaps not necessarily something for Crows to volunteer to be in the forefront to fix at present - wait until we've got our mitts on Sladojevic and Borlase, then help fix it. How good are Crows at stalling? :)

Gigantium.jpg

AMB 119.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thanks.

Follow up question, can the NG guys play in our SANFL team?
From [THIS POST by WW]:

AFL approved Next Generation Academy (NGA) and Father Son players can be temporarily permitted during their 18th and 19th years (the years in which they are eligible for drafting with concessions) if nominated by the AFL club they are aligned to. It should be noted that this is subject to the player electing and agreeing to being nominated by AFC and PAFC for temporary permit.
  • In the 18th year, such a player can be permitted for a period of four games, but will not be eligible for a permit if they have already played League Football at their SANFL club. The SANFL Club will receive a fee in the sum of $2,500.
  • In the 19th year, a nominated NGA and Father Son player would be available for selection at AFC or PAFC only. At the conclusion of their 19th year SANFL club will have the right to list the player on their senior list. The SANFL Club will receive a fee, in addition to any fee received in the players 18th year, in the sum of $5,000.

Cant have it.gif
Cant have it.gif [1.5mb]

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back