NFL Div 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys I'm new here but am a paid up member of my local NFL club who is currently in first division. Was just wondering if anyone else thinks the league should look at changing the finals venue? It has been 10 years of finals at Preston and during that time the ground or facilities haven't changed one bit. Obviously everyone talks about the wind but I just think as a whole the Preston oval is not up to scratch. Thoughts ?
Preston is so poor of a finals venue. Surface is average with a cricket pitch in the middle. It is pretty far away from a lot of the teams and supporters and not on the Hurstbirdge train line where most teams are located. The wind is constant every year and creates a poor brand of football with plenty of days goals rarely scored one end. I have no idea why the league persist with it.

It's windy everywhere in Melbourne in September, unfortunately I don't believe we have another option. Epping was tried and found wanting and the others are just not up to it. Preston for mine.
Epping is windy year round. Leave Monty/Eltham area and drive to Epping it will be 100x more windy.

The league should host them at Eltham or Diamond creek. Both good grounds and plenty of shelter from the wind. They can easily put temp fence around just like they do for the junior finals to charge entry.

Preston is so poor of a finals venue. Surface is average with a cricket pitch in the middle. It is pretty far away from a lot of the teams and supporters and not on the Hurstbirdge train line where most teams are located. The wind is constant every year and creates a poor brand of football with plenty of days goals rarely scored one end. I have no idea why the league persist with it.

Epping is windy year round. Leave Monty/Eltham area and drive to Epping it will be 100x more windy.

The league should host them at Eltham or Diamond creek. Both good grounds and plenty of shelter from the wind. They can easily put temp fence around just like they do for the junior finals to charge entry.

Unless the profits from the proceeds of canteen and beer sales are distributed amongst all the clubs, finals will not be played at local venues. Using Preston, how unfortunate of a venue it is, ensures that no one is disadvantaged on gate proceeds, canteen sales or teams participating.

If they were looking at alternative venues with plenty of parking, I don't know why they don't look at Bulleen Fields. You have Trinity, Marcellin, Carey Grammar ovals

Unless the profits from the proceeds of canteen and beer sales are distributed amongst all the clubs, finals will not be played at local venues. Using Preston, how unfortunate of a venue it is, ensures that no one is disadvantaged on gate proceeds, canteen sales or teams participating.

If they were looking at alternative venues with plenty of parking, I don't know why they don't look at Bulleen Fields. You have Trinity, Marcellin, Carey Grammar ovals

IKON Park even? Bit far from most clubs though I guess.

Agreed.

Div 1 finals should be at Eltham. Best viewing ground in the competition by a long long way.

Heidelberg could also host if surface is up to scratch.

Agreed.

Div 1 finals should be at Eltham. Best viewing ground in the competition by a long long way.

Heidelberg could also host if surface is up to scratch.
Eltham , Diamo and Heidelberg all have good enough facilities. All 3 have around the ground parking which is awesome for atmosphere, Heidelberg as you said probably the only one whose surface may not be up to it. I agree Eltham best viewing ground in the comp, the only positive about Preston is that its always going to be a neutral venue, can you imagine the uproar if panth or bergs got a home final?

Eltham , Diamo and Heidelberg all have good enough facilities. All 3 have around the ground parking which is awesome for atmosphere, Heidelberg as you said probably the only one whose surface may not be up to it. I agree Eltham best viewing ground in the comp, the only positive about Preston is that its always going to be a neutral venue, can you imagine the uproar if panth or bergs got a home final?
I think from memory there were council issues with closing off Warringal Park for finals. It did host finals back in the DVFL days. I know from recent experience, Banyule Council had issues with closing off any ground which had public walking tracks, parkland or playground facilities. I don't think Eltham could handle the crowd to be honest, although great atmosphere for those who could get in. Would probably be health and safety considerations as well, so maybe it's necessary to use somewhere like Preston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think from memory there were council issues with closing off Warringal Park for finals. It did host finals back in the DVFL days. I know from recent experience, Banyule Council had issues with closing off any ground which had public walking tracks, parkland or playground facilities. I don't think Eltham could handle the crowd to be honest, although great atmosphere for those who could get in. Would probably be health and safety considerations as well, so maybe it's necessary to use somewhere like Preston.
Eltham can take a huge crowd. Obviously car parking wouldn't be allowed inside during finals other than near the rooms, so the whole scoreboard side could fit thousands.

Yep the old Preston City Oval is crap week, I agree, I also sadly agree there is no current viable alternative. But what if we had a progressive thinking management. I mean really progressive.........

Some here will remember but a few years back a ideas where floated to make a DVFL (NFL) 'Home Ground' that not only would have an excellent ground and playing facilities would have a function centre and 24h pokies etc. like a leagues club....all making money for the league....its name....allegedly "Blue Diamond".

Now for the simple and/or closed minded this may sound like utter stupidity but think about it....a place that can host games, especially finals and comp games (junior and senior). A place that when games are on will make money for all NFL sides. A place for all league and club functions. A place that if run properly makes money 24/7 for local footy.

Until those in charge start thinking outside the box then sadly we will remain Prestons red-haired step children and be treated as such.

On another topic, who the phuk thinks a three week opening round makes sense and is a good look for the premier grade of the NFL??? May have been discussed before but just looks amateurish.

Incorrect. With proper permits any council can close an area for a prescribed time, this has happened before and can; only an idiot on a council would knock back a request that was properly thought through, compiled and league supported that would benefit the local community.

Warringal excellent for finals but agree surface gets boggy that time of year. Eltham could easily handle crowd that was a stupid comment (see last years Good Friday game) however the surface again is not up to finals standard at that time of year (also WTF is health and safety considerations that are different normal game day) I actually think Diamo should be considered, I hear they have improved the surface and with parking across the road and at the station think it could take a huge crowd.

However, see my previous post, I think its high time we had our own ground. Time to be the bugger league that supports every club.

Yep the old Preston City Oval is crap week, I agree, I also sadly agree there is no current viable alternative. But what if we had a progressive thinking management. I mean really progressive.........

Some here will remember but a few years back a ideas where floated to make a DVFL (NFL) 'Home Ground' that not only would have an excellent ground and playing facilities would have a function centre and 24h pokies etc. like a leagues club....all making money for the league....its name....allegedly "Blue Diamond".

Now for the simple and/or closed minded this may sound like utter stupidity but think about it....a place that can host games, especially finals and comp games (junior and senior). A place that when games are on will make money for all NFL sides. A place for all league and club functions. A place that if run properly makes money 24/7 for local footy.

Until those in charge start thinking outside the box then sadly we will remain Prestons red-haired step children and be treated as such.

On another topic, who the phuk thinks a three week opening round makes sense and is a good look for the premier grade of the NFL??? May have been discussed before but just looks amateurish.

Spot on Denny. Something like sports cover arena the vafa use (not sure if they do anymore) basically the league head quarters attached to the ground where finals are played.

Great idea for any league to invest in building a home base if they have the funds. Could even host match of the round I guess. Problem will be finding a location.
-What about the area opposite Northland where the cricket pitches are? Build something there as it's very central, lots of car parking and high exposed area!!
-I was also thinking Resas ground if the didn't back on there feet, rather than let soccer take over..
-Or invest money into Cramer street as the surface is pretty good and there is parking across the road.

The EDFL have the advantage of using Windy Hill but like your thinking.

Good topic Danny..

Incorrect. With proper permits any council can close an area for a prescribed time, this has happened before and can; only an idiot on a council would knock back a request that was properly thought through, compiled and league supported that would benefit the local community.

Warringal excellent for finals but agree surface gets boggy that time of year. Eltham could easily handle crowd that was a stupid comment (see last years Good Friday game) however the surface again is not up to finals standard at that time of year (also WTF is health and safety considerations that are different normal game day) I actually think Diamo should be considered, I hear they have improved the surface and with parking across the road and at the station think it could take a huge crowd.

However, see my previous post, I think its high time we had our own ground. Time to be the bugger league that supports every club.
I now recall that the NFL is in currently floating the idea of having access to a newly developed sports complex at La Trobe in Bundoora? Anyone else heard of this?

I now recall that the NFL is in currently floating the idea of having access to a newly developed sports complex at La Trobe in Bundoora? Anyone else heard of this?
Have heard of something similar to be developed in Reservoir, maybe the same thing? Talking 5 years away though

Wasn't at last years Good Friday game, but what are we talking for a Div 1 GF crowd....6-9 thousand people? Throw in the infrastructure to support that and it's fairly involved. I think I'm pretty spot on with fencing off grounds Denny. We applied for a permit for Campbell Brown game a couple of years ago and were knocked back. Warringal park is a public access facility which by local law, you can't charge people to enter. Be the same at Eltham or any other ground really. They are public parks and if someone doesn't want to pay, you can't force them. It would be different at Northcote Park, Preston which are pretty much purely sporting venuesand perhaps Epping and Whittlesea which are fenced fully or partially as a standard. Personally I don't have an issue with Preston. Parking isn't a huge issue if like me you pay a couple of bucks to park in the old tafe on St George's Rd, then a 2 minute walk. Ground condition same for all and atmosphere ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back