NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Key stat from the weekend - Bulls uncontested marks tally was close to 120. 3 times that of North. If they can keep those chain possessions high, along with the gut running required to create space… they will give their forwards a chance to kick a winning score. Tough ask v bergs, but the way linked up on the weekend was clinical.
Would have been a similar stat in favour of Heidelberg against the Bulls a couple weeks ago, Bundoora couldn't get their hands on it that day.

Heidelberg are very strong at winning possession at stoppage and transitioning from inside to outside, as well retaining the footy with foot skills - I can't see Bundoora matching them if they try and take the game on in the same way - they need to try and disrupt this somehow - maybe put heaps of numbers around the contest? and when they do get their hands on footy try to isolate their big men in 1v1's - Jorgensen, McEvoy and McKernan

Forecast for Saturday is 20 degrees with a 8km/h sth easterly - looks like it will be perfect conditions for footy at Preston, which I think suits Heidelberg's ball users and speed.

So how do we compare with other Leagues?
Im tipping you dont take stats from all the Leagues in Vic?
That’s the question. Right now it would be anecdotal I would think. There is also the premier data service if leagues use that and they capture free kick stats they could be compared I guess?

Would have been a similar stat in favour of Heidelberg against the Bulls a couple weeks ago, Bundoora couldn't get their hands on it that day.

Heidelberg are very strong at winning possession at stoppage and transitioning from inside to outside, as well retaining the footy with foot skills - I can't see Bundoora matching them if they try and take the game on in the same way - they need to try and disrupt this somehow - maybe put heaps of numbers around the contest? and when they do get their hands on footy try to isolate their big men in 1v1's - Jorgensen, McEvoy and McKernan

Forecast for Saturday is 20 degrees with a 8km/h sth easterly - looks like it will be perfect conditions for footy at Preston, which I think suits Heidelberg's ball users and speed.
Heidelbergs fitness levels are a cut above…they run games out very well.

Mont have made themselves look even sillier with their article on Social Media announcing departure of Coach. They outlines everything that he did was great and well loved by players but then HES GONE. What a great club to get involved in. Keep in mind only team to beat Premiership Favs and draw with them during the year.
By their advert for a coach everything in the description was said in the article that the sacked coach did / have?

Last edited:
The Montmorency Football Netball Club have parted ways with Senior Coach Jono Manzoney after one year at the helm. The club enjoyed a successful season under his leadership, making the finals in both senior grades.
Jono came to the club in 2019 as an assistant to Garry Ramsay and worked closely with Garry throughout his tenure. Jono was also involved in coaching in our junior girls program.
He brought to the club a professional approach and displayed an extraordinary work-ethic in his efforts to succeed for the club. He has been a very popular person at both the junior & senior clubs.
With another early exit from the senior NFNL finals series, the club has decided a change of approach is necessary.
We are thankful for the positives Jono contributed to our club and we wish him well for the future.

Those that watch a bit of NFNL under 19 footy - Does the standard line follow the seniors? ie: Is DIV 1 a 10 goal+ better standard than DIV 2?
I watched the Diamo v South Morang GF on Saturday and the standard did not look all that great - No players would walk into their respective senior sides IMO
Will the DIV 1 GF on Saturday be a huge improvement on DIV 2?

If an u19 player is good enough to walk into senior footy, you'd assume they're already playing senior footy?

They also use a grading game system in that age group, so it's probably more inline with the div 1 seniors to div 2 seniors gap, than say the reserves, where I think the top side in div 2 would have been very competitive in d1

9.40 is way to early for most of us to know

If an u19 player is good enough to walk into senior footy, you'd assume they're already playing senior footy?

They also use a grading game system in that age group, so it's probably more inline with the div 1 seniors to div 2 seniors gap, than say the reserves, where I think the top side in div 2 would have been very competitive in d1

9.40 is way to early for most of us to know
Agreed far too early:):)

The Montmorency Football Netball Club have parted ways with Senior Coach Jono Manzoney after one year at the helm. The club enjoyed a successful season under his leadership, making the finals in both senior grades.
Jono came to the club in 2019 as an assistant to Garry Ramsay and worked closely with Garry throughout his tenure. Jono was also involved in coaching in our junior girls program.
He brought to the club a professional approach and displayed an extraordinary work-ethic in his efforts to succeed for the club. He has been a very popular person at both the junior & senior clubs.
With another early exit from the senior NFNL finals series, the club has decided a change of approach is necessary.
We are thankful for the positives Jono contributed to our club and we wish him well for the future.
What a s**t club

Saw Bulls live 3 times v the dogs this year. The prelim whilst the dogs were flat was easily the most impressive 4 quarters effort of the 3 games. They had winners on every line. I think if they can replicate that, they can give themselves a sniff. Heidelberg doesn’t allow much margin for error when you play them but I think IF they can replicate large parts of the Saturday just gone, they could pinch the cup. Their running game was off the charts.

Perfect conditions so no excuses. Should be good viewing and the winner will be worthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Player meeting was held after last finals loss and decided they wanted change. Leadership group then met with head honchos and told them if a change of coach wasn’t forthcoming, then there would be an exodus of players.

Days prior they were singing the coaches praises and saying how much he was loved around the club.

It’s my understanding they haven’t got a replacement but did contact another coach in last off season who was already committed elsewhere, prior to signing Manzoney.

I’d be surprised if they haven’t already contacted their previously preferred choice to sound him out for 24.

Player meeting was held after last finals loss and decided they wanted change. Leadership group then met with head honchos and told them if a change of coach wasn’t forthcoming, then there would be an exodus of players.

Days prior they were singing the coaches praises and saying how much he was loved around the club.

It’s my understanding they haven’t got a replacement but did contact another coach in last off season who was already committed elsewhere, prior to signing Manzoney.

I’d be surprised if they haven’t already contacted their previously preferred choice to sound him out for 24.
If that’s the case can you blame the club? Unfortunately in local footy if the players are against the coach you are basically left no choice.

So more or less you’re just naming the 3 least experienced players… for someone who is Bundoora through and through I would have thought you’d be a little more objective
Where did you come from? You asked a question and I answered it. I go and watch them as much as I can and I said I'd play him from what I've seen. What's your issue?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back