NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

If you think that cost them the game then you don’t know football at all, not even a little bit.
They were 16 points up with 6-7 minutes to go in the game. Shouldn’t lose from that position.
The reality is Mernda were out on their feet had blokes cramping left right and centre and coming off the ground.

Thought it was a terrific game. Credit to both teams.

But the decision to leave to leave before the ceremony was done is poor leadership anyway you want to slice it.
Don’t care what has happened during the game you stay there and cop it and show respect.
It was a terrible sight watching the mernda players and supporters leaving the ground during the ceremony.
Obviously wasn’t the only reason, just stating why she was booed..

At the end of the day I've gained respect for Fletcher individually after his speech.
Very respectful.
Them leaving on the other hand is a shit show!
A respectful moment by the laurimar coach to quite the crowd for noise of where mernda were off to.

Laurimar? Pretty sure Mernda supporters started singing the theme song with 5 to go..not sure that is humble?
I was standing near the cameraman, and I didn't hear anyone singing the theme song.

Second game of division 3 footy I watched live today, what an absolute cracker grand final and I was surprised by the standard for 4 quarters. Hats off to both sides. I thought Morrison had the better of the ruck duals and was shocked that Leather won the BOG medal. Evans played an outstanding game until he broke his ankle. Evans doesn't break his ankle, I say Mernda win. But congratulations to the Laurimar Football Club on today's win.

SWOOPINGTIME

Sounds like it was a cracker of a GF, I left after the Turtles won the reserves flag as had a family lunch to attend otherwise would've definitely stuck around to watch.

Can't believe Mernda left the field during the presentations, shows they still have a shit culture even though they turned things around this year.

Well done Laurimar, will be interesting to see how they go in Div 2 next year, I think they'll do well like Sth Morang have.

Obviously wasn’t the only reason, just stating why she was booed..
Cracker Game, not saying it would of changed the outcome, but if you think the umpiring didn't have a bearing on the game your kidding yourself. Whole lot of div 1 umpires doing nothing this weekend. The legeaue boss berated these umpires on their efforts after the game, once he saw supporters come near them he dragged them into the umpires room yo continue , maybe he should off set the standard at half time.
Again umpires making it about them, when you get paid $150-$200 for a game there is an expectation that you deliver an unbiased outcome.

Cracker Game, not saying it would of changed the outcome, but if you think the umpiring didn't have a bearing on the game your kidding yourself. Whole lot of div 1 umpires doing nothing this weekend. The legeaue boss berated these umpires on their efforts after the game, once he saw supporters come near them he dragged them into the umpires room yo continue , maybe he should off set the standard at half time.
Again umpires making it about them, when you get paid $150-$200 for a game there is an expectation that you deliver an unbiased outcome.
Neutral supporter. Mernda were the better team for 75% of the game but Laurimar were better where it mattered, on the scoreboard when the siren sounded.

Maybe you need to lose one before you win one.

Mernda should be embarrassed for leaving before the Laurimar coaches speech. A moment the club would like to have back I reckon.

Last edited:

So what you are saying is that the umpires won the game for Laurimer and were giving them free kicks all game??
I watched every minute of the game and I am a neutral supporter and I don’t think the overall umpiring had a bearing on the game, was that mark suspect, yes!
But When a game is close everyone wants to pin point 1 exact free kick or decision that cost them but in reality there were free kicks paid during the game both ways that were suspect that resulted in scores for both sides.
That’s football it happens and mernda had their chance and they didn’t take it so if that’s the excuse they want to go with to make them feel better then good luck to them but it’s as simple as they had the game won and were 17 points up with not long to go and let 5 goals get kicked on them.
They shit the bed is the reality.

Well that’s another chapter written. A fantastic year with a well set up club heading up to D2. Congrats to Laurimar and the boys who stuck fat.

I’ll be interested to see their progress. After South’s incredible run there is no reason they can’t play finals next year in D2.

I tell ya what does need discussing!!!
The NFNL BEING ABSOLUTE THEIFS!
How can you justify the finals costing $17.5 plus surcharges to see a local game and then mid finals popping it up to $20 plus surcharges.
Excuse from the worker at the door was
"But it's the grand final!"

W
Which League Boss?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, that’s pretty amazing that the league boss publicly berated the umpires, particularly after the push to respect umpires and crack down on abuse from spectators. What did they league boss actually say?

I think the expectation of any game, senior or junior, mid season or final should be to deliver an unbiased outcome. Regardless of payments also.
But week in week out they fail to deliver this and most times it’s due to the League’s decision on who umpires wgat game.

I think the expectation of any game, senior or junior, mid season or final should be to deliver an unbiased outcome. Regardless of payments also.
But week in week out they fail to deliver this and most times it’s due to the League’s decision on who umpires wgat game.
NFNL Member do you think that the umpires were biased? That’s a pretty big call
Their were decisions both ways that either team could speak about.
There was also a 100 of skills errors shown by players, do we go and say, players X should have kicked that goal during the second quarter or do we go and say bad skill error by player B when he kick the ball out on the full
Any good coach would focus on the things they could have controlled during the game, should Mernda have put more behind the ball when the margin got back to 11 points, there is no 6-6-6 rule?
Losing Morrison for the last 4-5 mins hurt them as he was a dominant force in the ruck, in saying that though they did win the centre clearance for Crouch to kick what was up until last score the goal to tie up the game
Should Mernda have scored more from the dominance of Morrison’s ruck craft, he won nearly every hit out but I think clearances would have been pretty even
Just my 2 cents worth from my observations from the game

NFNL Member do you think that the umpires were biased? That’s a pretty big call
Their were decisions both ways that either team could speak about.
There was also a 100 of skills errors shown by players, do we go and say, players X should have kicked that goal during the second quarter or do we go and say bad skill error by player B when he kick the ball out on the full
Any good coach would focus on the things they could have controlled during the game, should Mernda have put more behind the ball when the margin got back to 11 points, there is no 6-6-6 rule?
Losing Morrison for the last 4-5 mins hurt them as he was a dominant force in the ruck, in saying that though they did win the centre clearance for Crouch to kick what was up until last score the goal to tie up the game
Should Mernda have scored more from the dominance of Morrison’s ruck craft, he won nearly every hit out but I think clearances would have been pretty even
Just my 2 cents worth from my observations from the game
My view is similar but I also know that the young lady imo isn’t up to a League grand final, she’s not biased, just inexperienced and not at the standard required yet, but I’m sure the League think it’s a “feel good story “ to put her out there.
Instead of putting the best available out there.
I’ve watched junior games where players family members have umpired.
It’s just unacceptable and more importantly avoidable.

Not sure what you are expecting... Its the 5th level of footy in the Country, 3rd division in the league... Blokes can't even hit a target from 30 metres away and you want the umpires to be at AFL level. Maybe realistic expectation on what is needed.

Not sure what you are expecting... Its the 5th level of footy in the Country, 3rd division in the league... Blokes can't even hit a target from 30 metres away and you want the umpires to be at AFL level. Maybe realistic expectation on what is needed.
I clearly stated my expectations

Triharder I agree, umpiring wasn’t what won or lost the game.
There was a few questionable free kicks given to both sides, I think the 50 metre penalty that Mernda got on half time was harsh on Laurimar so I guess it evens out
Like I said plenty of skills errors made by both teams which aren’t discussed
I actually thought Mernda has the dominant ruckman, 2 forwards in Crouch and Smith who won their positions
Turner and Kellett good down back and Evans was a very prominent until his injury.

For Laurimar, Thompson was huge especially in the last quarter. Arthur was great, kid just kept bouncing back up and going again. Bateman down back was calm and his ball use was very good

Overall it was a great game, Mernda would be shattered to lose after being 17 points up for 5-8 mins to go in last quarter and when Crouch kicked the goal to even up the scores I thought they would win. Morrison being off injured though at last centre clearance was critical, hope his injury isn’t too significant as he was clearly the most dominant player on the ground

Watched 2 finals between these clubs and the supporters deserve each other. Just because you pay your money it isn’t an open ticket to say what ever you like.

The way laurimaur abused Evans while on the ground was disgraceful.
But equally the way Mernda supporters yelled at laurimaur players/umpires was equally poor.

Can only liken it to what I hear come from Sth Morang 2s players. Must be something in that area.

Division 1 and 2 have mostly gotten rid of gronk behavior. It’s not the 1990s anymore maybe this would also explain why the umpires might look more favorable to one team.

I’m all happy for byplay between players and supporters but being told to go die and your a coward or fat f*** really sums up these clubs.

Blokes playing at the highest level in the land can miss a set shot from only 15 metres out, I saw the Carlton full forward do it on Friday night!

Watched 2 finals between these clubs and the supporters deserve each other. Just because you pay your money it isn’t an open ticket to say what ever you like.

The way laurimaur abused Evans while on the ground was disgraceful.
But equally the way Mernda supporters yelled at laurimaur players/umpires was equally poor.

Can only liken it to what I hear come from Sth Morang 2s players. Must be something in that area.

Division 1 and 2 have mostly gotten rid of gronk behavior. It’s not the 1990s anymore maybe this would also explain why the umpires might look more favorable to one team.

I’m all happy for byplay between players and supporters but being told to go die and your a coward or fat f*** really sums up these clubs.
Not just SM 2s players but some senior players and supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back