News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon some reshuffling. Should be in a position to confirm next week via website.

Many thanks again Heath for stopping by. Much appreciated.

Careful mate, he probably scours this board looking for any mention of his name. You should probably now expect to see this in his post-GF sliding doors:

IF any media managers have a problem with the Purple

THEN they should avoid posting about me on BigFooty.

No personal opinion was offered by Heath, though. It was simply a statement of fact.

Great to have you back Heath. In one fell swoop you've managed to calm the masses and save us reams of wild speculation on a number of topics.

14006771_a4c2c9d8d0_z.jpg

Chief will probably hunt you down due to loss of advertising revenue caused by a drop in traffic now. Superb!

http://www.afltas.com.au/north-melbourne-tassie-kangaroos-licence-what-does-it-mean-for-tasmania/

North Melbourne Tassie Kangaroos Licence – what does it mean for Tasmania?
?

A landmark day for Tasmanian football yesterday, with North Melbourne and Tasmania winning a joint AFLW licence.

Tasmania will be represented on the national stage in a meaningful, connected joint venture with the North Melbourne Football Club.

The licence will be added to the Nab AFLW competition from 2019.

What does it mean for Tasmania?
  • For the first time ever a team in a national AFL competition will have Tasmania represented. The AFLW team will officially carry ‘Tasmania’ in its competition name, it will be known as the North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroos.
  • When playing in Tasmania the team will wear a special Tassie Kangaroos guernsey (pictured below) with the Tasmania map featured prominently.

What do you think of the Tassie Kangaroos Guernsey?

• The Tassie Kangaroos will have a training base in Tasmania (exact location still TBD)
  • The team will play at least half their home games in Tasmania at UTAS Stadium with the potential to also play at other venues around the state (fixture dependent)
  • New strong and direct AFLW talent pathway for Tasmania
  • There will be new staff and initiatives to help accelerate the development of Tasmanian female talent
  • Tasmania’s top Women’s talent will not have to move elsewhere to chase an AFLW dream from 2019
  • The aim of North Melbourne and the Tasmanian Government is to have half the playing list from Tasmania over time.

AFL Tasmanias Trish Squires with Tasmanian AFLW aspirants Nicole Bresnehan and Loveth Ochayi

........it will be known as the North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroos.

Where's the bit that states "North Melbourne"?

What jumper will it wear elsewhere?

22092584_10155938123951614_709273299_o-e1506562097175-774x1024.jpg

What do you think of the Tassie Kangaroos Guernsey?

I don't like it at all. Is this a precursor for the mens side?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The non-Tasmania jumper is in the photo literally just above your post.

I don't plan to answer the other questions because I think Heath did a pretty good job of it in this thread already.

Here are two articles from Girls Play Footy 27 and 28 Sep 17

North Melbourne and Geelong win AFLW licences for 2019, four more to join in 2020

North Melbourne and Geelong will join the AFL Women’s competition in 2019, with four more teams to follow in 2020, as announced by the AFL on Wednesday morning.

Geelong’s selection was expected, but North Melbourne has been adjudged to be best placed for a 2019 inclusion ahead of the the other clubs that received provisional licences in 2016.

It is anticipated that the staggered approach will be unpopular with the unsuccessful clubs, particularly St Kilda and Richmond who feel they are immediately prepared for an introduction.

However, the league is clearly looking to achieve stability in its expansion efforts, which has been deemed as the sensible course of action.

North Melbourne’s hands-on partnership with Melbourne University in the VFLW has been viewed as a big tipping point for the club, which may look at using the Victorian state league team as a feeder in the future.

But the big selling point is obviously North’s partnership with Tasmania, which will extend to its women’s team and become more of a talent pathway as the team establishes itself.

Though there are some talented footballers playing out of the Apple Isle, Victorians are expected to make up a large portion of the team’s initial playing list.

Eyes will quickly turn to list management, as both the 2019 expansion clubs will look to be immediately competitive.

That isn’t a stretch for the Cats, who are well poised to have a relatively strong team come 2019 if they can secure current Geelong VFLW talent.

For the Tasmania-North Melbourne team, however, an initial team is much harder to picture.

Four Tasmanians are currently listed to AFLW clubs: Jessica Wuetschner (Brisbane), Brittany Gibson (Brisbane), Emma Humphries (Melbourne) and Ellyse Gamble (Western Bulldogs).

The quartet are talented footballers, but not the kinds of players you can build a team around. Wuetschner is a mid-sized forward, Gibson a half-back, and Humphries and Gamble still require development.

Most worrying for the Kangaroos is that only three players are in with a shot at being drafted this year: Courtney Webb, Daria Bannister and Georgia Hill.

Perhaps the lack of immediate future stars will prompt the AFL to award North Melbourne with the first pick in the 2018 AFLW Draft, which if it were to be used today would secure Victorian Madison Prespakis, the clear prospective number one pick for next year.

The club’s link with Melbourne Uni may be key to the Roos attracting some top class talent to build the side around.

Additionally, perhaps someone like Bulldog and AFL employee Aasta O’Connor, a veteran returning to form after knee surgery in 2015 and rehab complications in 2016, would be a great fit for the team.

Paul Hood, who coached the Geelong VFL Women’s side to an 8-6 record in 2017, is as good as guaranteed to get the head coaching job for the Cats, while Melbourne Uni coach Andrew Jago is a hot favourite for North Melbourne.

It is believed the expansion clubs will not be involved in the October 18 AFLW Draft.

North Melbourne-Tasmania (2019)
Officially recognised as the North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos, North has plenty of work to do over the next 12 months.

The club is in great shape in-house – particularly considering the backing of the Tasmanian government – with Arden Street Oval poised to be the club’s home base in Victoria, and games played in Tasmania to be split between Hobart and Launceston.

Laura Kane is already working as the club’s football operations manager, a role that involves managing the women’s academy. It’s possible her position may carry over to AFLW. Melbourne University coach Andrew Jago is an early favourite for head coach.

But there are serious question marks hanging over the team’s inaugural playing list.

Only four Tasmanians are currently listed to AFLW clubs: Jessica Wuetschner (Brisbane), Brittany Gibson (Brisbane), Emma Humphries (Melbourne) and Ellyse Gamble (Western Bulldogs). With all due respect to those players, they are not the sort of footballers you are able to build a team around.

Only three (at best) Tasmanians are expected to be selected in this year’s AFLW Draft, and the overall standard of women’s senior football in the Apple Isle is considered to be below the rest of the country. It’s not a positive sign for North’s Managing Director and CEO Carl Dilena, who says the club is aiming to have half the list comprised of Tasmanians.

North Melbourne does have an existing partnership with Melbourne University, which has supplied plenty of the AFLW’s most recognisable names. Perhaps luring some of those big names will help bridge the gap between young talent and established stars.

North’s to-do list:
– Heavily invest in developing Tasmanian talent
– Target marquee names to build team around
– Appoint a head coach

The community doesn't eat and drink?

It seems that we are in fact beholden to unrepresentative cultural elites. I don't remember the Geelong footy club being shackled to a swathe of social causes when they were granted $50 million bucks.

Perhaps I am being naive? Perhaps it's the only way we will get anything?

I just figure that if the club is going to beat it's chest about these developments then it is reasonable to expect that there is something actually useful in it for the members.
Shut up and buy a water!

On the North home jumper, “Tasmania” is written across the back of the neck above the number, and on this jumper pictured, “North Melbourne” is written on the back.

Keep in mind this is a concept jumper at this stage and subject to change. We needed something to show the Tas government and other let stakeholders what it could look like.

On the North home jumper, “Tasmania” is written across the back of the neck above the number, and on this jumper pictured, “North Melbourne” is written on the back.

Keep in mind this is a concept jumper at this stage and subject to change. We needed something to show the Tas government and other let stakeholders what it could look like.
Thats actually a pretty interesting way to do it.

Cheers Heath. Hopefully the proper version doesn't have 'tassie' written on the front. 'Tasmania' would be a big upgrade.

Do you have any info on the Canterbury deal? I know the contract still has a year to run l but are both parties happy? I've purchased North gear for over 20 years and i couldn't be happier with the quality north and Canterbury have developed together. I hope it continues.

Cheers Heath. Hopefully the proper version doesn't have 'tassie' written on the front. 'Tasmania' would be a big upgrade.

Do you have any info on the Canterbury deal? I know the contract still has a year to run l but are both parties happy? I've purchased North gear for over 20 years and i couldn't be happier with the quality north and Canterbury have developed together. I hope it continues.

Pretty sure everyone is happy. We’ve already been designing a range for 2019 with them and they are excellent to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back