AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The MU girls clearly colluded with one another to all join the same team"
Who said that? The MU partnership is a big reason why so many wanted to come to us, but *, that makes it sound like it was some big conspiracy.

We have a long-standing and mututally-respectful relationship with women's football.
We leveraged that respect to create a destination club, even though we were cut out of the inaugural league.
Seems a much more legitimate way to become a "big club" than to ban entry to other teams, monopolise recruitment zones and leverage that into money.

Last edited:

Can't believe that people would have this take that setting up a good relationship with a successful existing club is some sort of unfair advantage or gift. They should be asking why didn't their club do it, and if they did, why do they still suck?

Where would I need to go to listen to it?
Don’t worry I found it. At first I thought her saying we were ’gifted’ might have been a slip but then she doubled down when questioned.

From memory we recruited well but were stiffed with draft picks and have been effectively penalised each year since by getting the lower pick when conferences were merged for the draft. Does anyone have a list of the concessions we were given compared to the Saints when they entered?

Last edited:
Don’t worry I found it. At first I thought her saying we were ’gifted’ might have been a slip but then she doubled down when questioned.

From memory we recruited well but were stuffed with draft picks and have been effectively penalised each year since by getting the lower pick when conferences were merged for the draft. Does anyone have a list of the concessions we were given compared to the Saints when they entered?

This Sarah Ollie interview with Whateley is worth a listen Luke72

“A bit sulky”

Nice to see a journalist actually do some homework, rather than just pile In on top of the hubris and spin.

Does anyone have a list of the concessions we were given compared to the Saints when they entered?
St Kilda...
  • Sign up to 10 players from their women's academy/designated development zone (via this mechanism they signed, among others, Caitlin Greiser--more on her later)
  • Sign a maximum* of 12 players via free agency
  • Received additional picks 5, 9, 27 and 33 in the draft

North Melbourne...
  • Sign an unlimited* number of players via free agency (via this mechanism, we signed 13 players from existing clubs)
  • Received no additional picks in the draft

*Because existing clubs could only lose a certain number of players to free agency, St Kilda and North Melbourne both had to make trades to get some players across (the Saints gave up pick 11 for Kate McCarthy; we gave up picks 12 and 47 for Grierson, Humphries and pick 54).

One other point. Clubs should really be THANKING North, given how much Melbourne Uni talent has been poached from our neon claws. That list includes, but is not limited to, the following players:

Ellie Blackburn, WB (2x All-Australian, premiership captain)
Monique Conti, Rich (All-Australian, Grand final BOG)
Alicia Eva, GWS (All-Australian, club captain)
Madison Prespakis, Carl (League B&F winner, 2x All-Australian, Rising Star winner)
Caitlin Greiser, StK (All-Australian, League Leading Goal-kicker)
Brooke Lochland, WB (All-Australian, League Leading Goal-kicker)
Isabel Huntington, WB (All-Australian, Rising Star winner)
Nicola Stevens, Carl (All-Australian)
Gabriella Pound, Carl (All-Australian)

St Kilda...
  • Sign up to 10 players from their women's academy/designated development zone (via this mechanism they signed, among others, Caitlin Greiser--more on her later)

North Melbourne...
  • Sign an unlimited* number of players via free agency (via this mechanism, we signed 13 players from existing clubs)

*Because existing clubs could only lose a certain number of players to free agency, St Kilda and North Melbourne both had to make trades to get some players across (the Saints gave up pick 11 for Kate McCarthy; we gave up picks 12 and 47 for Grierson, Humphries and pick 54).

One other point. Clubs should really be THANKING North, given how much Melbourne Uni talent has been poached from our neon claws. That list includes, but is not limited to, the following players:

Madison Prespakis, Carl (League B&F winner, 2x All-Australian, Rising Star winner)
Thanks, I reckon our greatest coup was getting Scotty Gowans and the wealth of information and relationships that he bought with him.

That’s good. I did think that if one of the men’s coaches came out with a post-match whine like this it would have been all over the media for days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m glad Sarah Ollie seemed to call bullshit on it. Wasn’t our first ever pick something in the teens? And the Saints took Allie Drennan off us who I reckon was looking like a good player.

I’m glad Sarah Ollie seemed to call bullshit on it. Wasn’t our first ever pick something in the teens? And the Saints took Allie Drennan off us who I reckon was looking like a good player.
they took courtney munn off us also as a 19/20 year old promising player - she then went over to the saints and ended up retiring early last year - saints culture lol

I think it may have been Daisy Bateman at 25.

Who said that? The MU partnership is a big reason why so many wanted to come to us, but fu**, that makes it sound like it was some big conspiracy.
Some tool on facebook.

That is one of the more ordinary statements I’ve heard from a coach.

Nice to see how little she thinks of the girls at her club.

Weak as piss.

Very ordinary comments. I am guessing that when St Kilda play Geelong, win lose or draw, Peta will be complaining how unfair it was for Geelong to get priority draft picks when they joined the competition just like North Melbourne did, oh wait a minute.

When I read her comments, all I could think of was this,

1612907984967.png

St Kilda...

North Melbourne...

Does this mean those clubs should be paying us a trailing commission?

"Gifted"???? FMD.
Luckily we came in with geelong otherwise they would have ****ed us over royally. They still did by giving geelong the first pick in the draft and us the last pick in round 1.
If we start winning multiple premierships I can see legislation coming in to stop it.

I can see Blackburn, Conti and Prespakis coming off the bench to replace our A-team as they take a short break.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back