AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh they’ve given us pretty much the hardest draw possible from the 9 rounds so far playing all the top teams

will play one of west coast, Gold Coast, saints or dogs in round 10 all pretty sh*t sides who we will miss out on playing 3 of them

should be eagles who we have never played
Ah, didnt realise there was another round

Seems a pretty good draw to me. Adelaide early is good as they took a while to wind up last year. Freo in Tas is great if we have to play them. Away against Carlton and Richmond are the home games you have when you aren’t playing a home game.

Yes Freo and Collingwood in the Tasmanian fortress are good for ladder position.

Wonder how much impact the covid cuts to the adelaide player will be on their performance next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crossposting this from the AFLW sponsorship thread as more people may be interested:

I had a lovely day at the AFLW intraclub as part of the player sponsorship. It helped me get more of a sense of where things are going this year.

The takeaways for me were:
  • With all the new teams coming in they see the next drafts as being highly compromised so took 5 picks this year and cut back a bit more that might otherwise (Gillespie-Jones, Saad…)
  • They then needed more height up forward, so Rennie to take a big ruck role to leave Emma King up forward. Also Tahlia Randal to spend more time up forward with (I think) Slender to play back.
  • Gibbo to be more up forward this year
  • They were absolutely stoked to get Tess Craven at pick 9 as she was very very high on their board. Has had foot stress fractures so will need to look after that.
  • Gilroy a bit late into training with some hamstring / spider bite(?) issues. Duffin also just 2 weeks in due to cricket and didn’t play.
  • Daisy Bateman is looking really sharp, powerful, smart and poised. Just classy.
  • Ash Riddell uses colourful language with every miskick.
  • Alice O’Loughlin, no.6 and drafted a pick 22 in 2020 is still raw but looks like a really focused individual who is absolutely doing everything she can to make it. Might be a surprise packet in 2022.
  • The girls seem really happy with Crocker. There were a few mentions of how there was a lot of ‘core’ things that needed a lot of work at the start of last year, so expecting to be able to build more this year.
  • As mentioned, the season timing is a bit strange – middle of summer. Would seem to be better to run it concurrently with the men, with as many double-headers as possible.
  • Picnic hamper was grouse.
  • Nobes was there. I gave him a wave. He waved back.

Ok well I'll crosspost this too, lest anybody else considers the season timing to be a mystery.

TV ratings are decimated when it overlaps with the men's, and broadcasters would prefer 9 games per week in winter+summer than 18 games per week in just winter. Other key factors like membership and match day revenue, which are rapidly increasing, will take a huge hit if a standalone season was replaced by double-headers with men's games.

Players will never earn a professional wage if the league isn't given a chance to maximise the money it brings in--i.e. via a TV deal enticing broadcasters, games at traditional venues enticing supporters. Hence the season is moving earlier each year (likewise the VFLW to align with it), continuing to extend in length but always ending mid-March (from next year onwards) so the GF can be played at the MCG, Adelaide Oval etc.

Crossposting this from the AFLW sponsorship thread as more people may be interested:

I had a lovely day at the AFLW intraclub as part of the player sponsorship. It helped me get more of a sense of where things are going this year.

The takeaways for me were:
  • With all the new teams coming in they see the next drafts as being highly compromised so took 5 picks this year and cut back a bit more that might otherwise (Gillespie-Jones, Saad…)
  • They then needed more height up forward, so Rennie to take a big ruck role to leave Emma King up forward. Also Tahlia Randal to spend more time up forward with (I think) Slender to play back.
  • Gibbo to be more up forward this year
  • They were absolutely stoked to get Tess Craven at pick 9 as she was very very high on their board. Has had foot stress fractures so will need to look after that.
  • Gilroy a bit late into training with some hamstring / spider bite(?) issues. Duffin also just 2 weeks in due to cricket and didn’t play.
  • Daisy Bateman is looking really sharp, powerful, smart and poised. Just classy.
  • Ash Riddell uses colourful language with every miskick.
  • Alice O’Loughlin, no.6 and drafted a pick 22 in 2020 is still raw but looks like a really focused individual who is absolutely doing everything she can to make it. Might be a surprise packet in 2022.
  • The girls seem really happy with Crocker. There were a few mentions of how there was a lot of ‘core’ things that needed a lot of work at the start of last year, so expecting to be able to build more this year.
  • As mentioned, the season timing is a bit strange – middle of summer. Would seem to be better to run it concurrently with the men, with as many double-headers as possible.
  • Picnic hamper was grouse.
  • Nobes was there. I gave him a wave. He waved back.
Which position did Perri King play?

Ok well I'll crosspost this too, lest anybody else considers the season timing to be a mystery.

TV ratings are decimated when it overlaps with the men's, and broadcasters would prefer 9 games per week in winter+summer than 18 games per week in just winter. Other key factors like membership and match day revenue, which are rapidly increasing, will take a huge hit if a standalone season was replaced by double-headers with men's games.

Players will never earn a professional wage if the league isn't given a chance to maximise the money it brings in--i.e. via a TV deal enticing broadcasters, games at traditional venues enticing supporters. Hence the season is moving earlier each year (likewise the VFLW to align with it), continuing to extend in length but always ending mid-March (from next year onwards) so the GF can be played at the MCG, Adelaide Oval etc.
Good points and interesting discussion to have.
I think the counterargument is that the long term financial health is primarily determined by the public interest the women’s game can generate. If you’re playing curtin raisers you are exposing AFLW to new audiences and building up that support. If it’s a summer game you may get more ratings now but potentially cementing into a niche code with only the diehards engaging.

If you’re playing curtin raisers you are exposing AFLW to new audiences and building up that support. If it’s a summer game you may get more ratings now but potentially cementing into a niche code with only the diehards engaging.
The support already exists, but it drops off when the men's season starts.

To maximise the support for both AFL and AFLW, the seasons have to be spread out across the year, because the reality is families don't want to spend 6 hours straight at Marvel Stadium in the middle of winter.

The support already exists, but it drops off when the men's season starts.

To maximise the support for both AFL and AFLW, the seasons have to be spread out across the year, because the reality is families don't want to spend 6 hours straight at Marvel Stadium in the middle of winter.

And playing Australian Rules football in extreme heat on full-size ovals with only 16 players on the field and with limited access to fitness and conditioning recovery training resources is a decision being made by people who don't have to play Australian Rules football in extreme heat on full-size ovals with only 16 players on the field and with limited access to fitness and conditioning recovery training resources. And these same decision-makers then wonder why there are so many season-ending injuries in the women's game.

And playing Australian Rules football in extreme heat on full-size ovals with only 16 players on the field and with limited access to fitness and conditioning recovery training resources is a decision being made by people who don't have to play Australian Rules football in extreme heat on full-size ovals with only 16 players on the field and with limited access to fitness and conditioning recovery training resources.
"Limited access to fitness and conditioning recovery training resources" is total bogus. The only time clubs experience such issues is when the women's season overlaps with the men's, and this has been widely documented.

That aside, yes the decisions are being made by the administrators. But the players have a voice, and the overwhelming majority have said (via AFLPA votes, competition committee involvement, and high profile players in the media) they support summer games if it puts full-time professionalism and 17 H&A rounds on the horizon, which is the case.

And these same decision-makers then wonder why there are so many season-ending injuries in the women's game.
There's no mystery about season-ending injuries either, and it has nothing to do with the weather.

"Limited access to fitness and conditioning recovery training resources" is total bogus. The only time clubs experience such issues is when the women's season overlaps with the men's, and this has been widely documented.

That aside, yes the decisions are being made by the administrators. But the players have a voice, and the overwhelming majority have said (via AFLPA votes, competition committee involvement, and high profile players in the media) they support summer games if it puts full-time professionalism and 17 H&A rounds on the horizon, which is the case.

There's no mystery about season-ending injuries either, and it has nothing to do with the weather.

Take up your arguments with the coach. As far as players are concerned, they are still in a position to have to say please and thank you and praise every decision the AFL makes. They cannot demand changes as they are still expected to be grateful for what they are given. That Darren Crocker offered up this contrary opinion in a public setting was refreshing, as everyone else seems to feel obliged to tow the line for the AFLW.

The timing of the AFLW season is clearly inappropriate with regard to the nature of the sport. Nobody would argue about that. And obviously, OBVIOUSLY, the reason they are playing at this time is simply because the AFL wants to secure a 12-month calendar for maximum exposure of the AFL brand. Whether AFLW could thrive in a winter season either played as curtain-raisers to men's games or as alternative fixtures so that club members have a home game to attend every week is something we will possibly never know. However, it could be dangerous to risk everything that has been built so far just to see if another schedule could work. The lessons of the USFL should apply here - if you have something that is growing, don't get too greedy too soon as you might blow it all up in a flash. This specifically applies to the winter/summer thing. Oh, and the other lesson of the USFL - don't let a moron like Donald Trump become a team owner.

Which position did Perri King play?
How did wright play

Quite a few of the players were wearing the wrong numbers so it was challenging to track who was playing where. They were wearing last year's jumpers. There were also quite a few VFLW top-ups which made recognising the new recruits all the more difficult.

I think Wright was playing fairly deep defense and didn't see a lot of action at the end of the ground I was sitting. I honestly didn't notice Perri King. I suspect she would have played for the white team and in the middle. The blue team was the "probables" team, at least in the first half before they switched things up. The blue team dominated as you would expect, and especially in centre clearances.

Take up your arguments with the coach. As far as players are concerned, they are still in a position to have to say please and thank you and praise every decision the AFL makes. They cannot demand changes as they are still expected to be grateful for what they are given. That Darren Crocker offered up this contrary opinion in a public setting was refreshing, as everyone else seems to feel obliged to tow the line for the AFLW.

The timing of the AFLW season is clearly inappropriate with regard to the nature of the sport. Nobody would argue about that. And obviously, OBVIOUSLY, the reason they are playing at this time is simply because the AFL wants to secure a 12-month calendar for maximum exposure of the AFL brand. Whether AFLW could thrive in a winter season either played as curtain-raisers to men's games or as alternative fixtures so that club members have a home game to attend every week is something we will possibly never know. However, it could be dangerous to risk everything that has been built so far just to see if another schedule could work. The lessons of the USFL should apply here - if you have something that is growing, don't get too greedy too soon as you might blow it all up in a flash. This specifically applies to the winter/summer thing. Oh, and the other lesson of the USFL - don't let a moron like Donald Trump become a team owner.
I don't need to argue with the coach. The arguments are settled, the direction of the competition is clear, and I'm just spreading the word for those who missed it.

Players have loudly expressed dissatisfaction with various issues (such as salaries, conferences, the number of games, the MRP penalty system and other rule changes), to the point of effecting change in many cases. They aren't helpless little girls who need Darren Crocker to speak for them, and he doesn't claim to.

The chorus of dissatisfaction with playing in summer is much quieter--not because the dissatisfied are afraid to be outspoken, but because they're vastly outnumbered. It seems your contention is that unless the players say something you agree with, they aren't being honest. Well then, take up your arguments with the players.

I don't need to argue with the coach. The arguments are settled, the direction of the competition is clear, and I'm just spreading the word for those who missed it.

Players have loudly expressed dissatisfaction with various issues (such as salaries, conferences, the number of games, the MRP penalty system and other rule changes), to the point of effecting change in many cases. They aren't helpless little girls who need Darren Crocker to speak for them, and he doesn't claim to.

The chorus of dissatisfaction with playing in summer is much quieter--not because the dissatisfied are afraid to be outspoken, but because they're vastly outnumbered. It seems your contention is that unless the players say something you agree with, they aren't being honest. Well then, take up your arguments with the players.

It's Darren Crocker's argument that those in attendance are presenting in good faith. You are shouting it down. If you don't want to hear it, feel free to ignore or log out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back