AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many years until women are given jobs in coaching to take steps on the pathway - and then I wonder if all their coaching accreditation’s and experience will be worth as much as a middling AFL playing career when it comes time to hire senior coaches.

I assume you're not talking about Nick Dal Santo when you refer to a middling AFL career surely.

I assume you're not talking about Nick Dal Santo when you refer to a middling AFL career surely.
I’m being a bit snippy but honestly it wouldn‘t matter if he was Voss/Buckley level as a player. It’s the smoothness of the path that riles me. Women’s footy is not men’s footy and its coaches should at least have seen a game before getting handed the reins.

I’m being a bit snippy but honestly it wouldn‘t matter if he was Voss/Buckley level as a player. It’s the smoothness of the path that riles me. Women’s footy is not men’s footy and its coaches should at least have seen a game before getting handed the reins.
I think it can have the feel of a ‘jobs for the boys’ position. I’m not saying it’s necessarily the case but from outside it can look that way. It was why Crocker’s appointment seemed strange on the back of Scott Gowan’s success.

I think the fact Scotty had been involved in women’s footy for a long time was a real advantage although the fact he was overlooked for the GC job in favour of Cam Joyce makes me wonder if the decision makers feel the game has advanced beyond his coaching style.

I think Dal being somewhat removed from the club makes his selection seem more legit FWIW

I think it can have the feel of a ‘jobs for the boys’ position. I’m not saying it’s necessarily the case but from outside it can look that way. It was why Crocker’s appointment seemed strange on the back of Scott Gowan’s success.

I think the fact Scotty had been involved in women’s footy for a long time was a real advantage although the fact he was overlooked for the GC job in favour of Cam Joyce makes me wonder if the decision makers feel the game has advanced beyond his coaching style.

I think Dal being somewhat removed from the club makes his selection seem more legit FWIW
He was working at St Kilda as a development coach, wasn’t he? With their NGA?

I’m not advocating for Peta Searle, by the way. It does worry me that it not working out after she coached in women’s footy, then assistant coached in VFL, then in AFLM, will become a barrier for other women being given a shot.

To be honest, the AFL is such an amateurish boys club at all levels it doesn’t really convince me of the rightness of decisions that they are backed up by other clubs, either.

Scott Gowans was also up for the StKilda job. It would appear that your conclusion is spot on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think just get em in. Why wait? The quicker the comp is "filled" the better. The talent will sort itself out in time, these teams coming in now won't change that.

I think just get em in. Why wait? The quicker the comp is "filled" the better. The talent will sort itself out in time, these teams coming in now won't change that.
I was speaking to an AFLW player who is doing placement in my gym sessions and she was saying if there is a big imbalance of talent it risks the comp going back to two pools which sucks

Four in one year is too much, the AFL should have split their entry, two in 2022/23 (or later preferably) and two in 2023/24.
If you stagger the entries of the last four teams, it increases the chances of some existing clubs getting hit hard by expansion twice while others go unscathed.

A club could lose players in the first phase, then make the necessary changes to compensate for those losses, then lose players in the next phase and have that initial recovery attempt count for nothing.

I was speaking to an AFLW player who is doing placement in my gym sessions and she was saying if there is a big imbalance of talent it risks the comp going back to two pools which sucks
There is going to be a big imbalance for a few more years, no ifs about it. But conferences were ditched in the midst of this big imbalance, there's no chance they'll ever go back to them.

There is going to be a big imbalance for a few more years, no ifs about it. But conferences were ditched in the midst of this big imbalance, there's no chance they'll ever go back to them.
Yeah 100% I think it was a worry of hers

Four in one year is too much, the AFL should have split their entry, two in 2022/23 (or later preferably) and two in 2023/24.
Make Hawks wait to watch Jeff’s head explode and make * wait just because?

So do we now have to wait until there is a mens afl team is tassie before we can JUST be north melbourne? None of the other teams had to do something like this to get an aflw licence?
We didn't have to do it to get a licence either, just to get a huge head start on half of the competition, among other benefits.

The current deal has two seasons left on it. If the partnership is to continue beyond then, several details will be changed, probably in the sense that we will give up less and get less in return.

We didn't have to do it to get a licence either, just to get a huge head start on half of the competition, among other benefits.

The current deal has two seasons left on it. If the partnership is to continue beyond then, several details will be changed, probably in the sense that we will give up less and get less in return.
yea look i do get that it does provide some access to players and such, i don't see it as a worthwhile cost. And now teams who have barely engaged at all with women's football just stroll right in.

And now teams who have barely engaged at all with women's football just stroll right in.
And get the living daylights beat out of them, to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back