NMFC players you thought were over or under rated

Remove this Banner Ad

I always thought JMac should have been a wingman.
Same. Despite his defensive deficiencies (other than intercepting), I thought he was a good enough kick to play that role. Very dangerous running inside 50 for a shot on goal.

Not sure if anyone rated his tank but I'd say he could've played that role.

I'll go with present players:
Overrated:
Jy Simpkin - Just don't see it with him. Lacks leadership when we need him. Average kick (also doesn't have distance). Absolutely shocking defensive work-rate and if you want to captain a club, you have to put your body on the line.
Ben McKay - I have been fooled at times as well by his ability, but too many times I have seen him trailing his opponent by some distance. His reputation is maintained because of our acceptance that our defence is horrible.

Underrated:
Curtis Taylor - I just see so much potential there compared to many of the vanilla players on our list. He has also been one of our only improvers this season.
LDU (big call) - A lot would call him overrated, but for me I see him as an absolute clearance machine! His start to the season has not been too far off his best as people have exaggerated. What I have noticed in games is that when he is on the ball, no one makes leads, no one provides an option. Some of his bad moments have been a symptom of being in a poor team.

The first one that springs to mind as underrated is Craig Sholl.

Produced high quality football at each end of the ground in a team full of champions.
Great mention.

How many have won B and F as a running defender and kicked 50 at FF in a premiership team?

Edit: Well, 35

I'll go with present players:
Overrated:
Jy Simpkin - Just don't see it with him. Lacks leadership when we need him. Average kick (also doesn't have distance). Absolutely shocking defensive work-rate and if you want to captain a club, you have to put your body on the line.
Ben McKay - I have been fooled at times as well by his ability, but too many times I have seen him trailing his opponent by some distance. His reputation is maintained because of our acceptance that our defence is horrible.

Underrated:
Curtis Taylor - I just see so much potential there compared to many of the vanilla players on our list. He has also been one of our only improvers this season.
LDU (big call) - A lot would call him overrated, but for me I see him as an absolute clearance machine! His start to the season has not been too far off his best as people have exaggerated. What I have noticed in games is that when he is on the ball, no one makes leads, no one provides an option. Some of his bad moments have been a symptom of being in a poor team.
This is actually a very good post. I too have massive question marks on Jy and BMac. I don’t think Jy is big enough for the role we are asking him to play however…..but yeah he doesn’t do enough damage with the ball for mine. And feel same re Benny Mac……seems to coast out there a lot of the time to me. i realise he’s 200cm or whatever, but I have concerns. He’s never gunna be an Andrews or a May type who cuts you up with the ball, seems to always chip the ball sideways, but maybe that’s under instruction. BMac only sub 30:games into a career though.

This is actually a very good post. I too have massive question marks on Jy and BMac. I don’t think Jy is big enough for the role we are asking him to play however…..but yeah he doesn’t do enough damage with the ball for mine. And feel same re Benny Mac……seems to coast out there a lot of the time to me. i realise he’s 200cm or whatever, but I have concerns. He’s never gunna be an Andrews or a May type who cuts you up with the ball, seems to always chip the ball sideways, but maybe that’s under instruction. BMac only sub 30:games into a career though.
Yeah there is definitely room for improvement for pretty much everyone on our list, but some of the players that we hold to high regard are not rated externally for a reason. I remember an opposition fan calling Simpkin slow and one-dimensional which I can't unsee now.

Overrated Scott McMahon, just not made for the modern game

Underrated: Bastinac, shouldn’t have been pushed out of the side by the likes of Gibson. Basti was class ball in hand

Underrated: Sam Gibson.

He had his limitations but his ability to run and offer an easy option for players with the ball was so important and completely unvalued by this board.

He made every other player in the team better.

Compare that to our current lineup where we don't have a single player willing or able to run hard consistently for four quarters to offer a reliable target.

Yeah there is definitely room for improvement for pretty much everyone on our list, but some of the players that we hold to high regard are not rated externally for a reason. I remember an opposition fan calling Simpkin slow and one-dimensional which I can't unsee now.

Simpkin is not one-dimensional by definition* as he has an excellent sidestep.

* (hint: the first dimension is a straight line)

Simpkin is not one-dimensional by definition* as he has an excellent sidestep.

* (hint: the first dimension is a straight line)

Yeah he I do see the dancing feet quite often but for someone that’s supposed to be a future captain, he needs to be dragging us across the line based on pure work ethic.

Underated - Troy Makepeace, was surprised when he got the arse as he was only 27. Lovely left foot out the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under rated...... Lindsay Thomas......probably more externally than internally, but gee I loved watching him play and how passionate he was (and probably still is) about our club.

LT would sit comfortably in my top 5 North favourite players. He'd have a field day in our current forward line. I love that he's still a big North man in retirement.

Under rated...... Lindsay Thomas......probably more externally than internally, but gee I loved watching him play and how passionate he was (and probably still is) about our club.
Over rated here. The fact he wasn't rated externally tells you everything you need to know. He's getting a run for his money with Stephenson.

Over rated here. The fact he wasn't rated externally tells you everything you need to know. He's getting a run for his money with Stephenson.

Rough. LT as a small forward kicked over 50 goals in a season; something our current KPF has never even done.

Unders: Spud, Drew P, scooter, Spitta (much better than given credit for)
Overs: wells, boomer, Jy, Jz (amazing players but all had have a deficiency health, defensive mindset, speed, skills respectively)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back