NMFC players you thought were over or under rated

Remove this Banner Ad

Listen to the commentary in the second clip. This is what we long for. Those commentators were underrated too.

Yes that was the minimalist style of ABC tv commentary back in the 70s and early 80s as compared with Channel 7 who were far more histrionic. Not as bad as the crap we cop these days but it was still significantly different from the ABC.

Corey Jones was genuinely the best medium forward in the comp on his day.

Most opposition supporters wouldn’t know who he is

UR: Adam Simpson, arguably the best Captain we’ve ever had and not appreciated by supporters as much as he should be.
Todd Goldstein: Best ruckman the clubs ever had and should be a 3 time AA
John Longmire: Should have been in the clubs TOTC. Would have kicked over 700 goals if it wasn’t for two knee recos.

OR: Glenn Archer, I think Stevo or Schimma should have been awarded SOTC.

As for Lindsay Thomas, his game high, season high and career average in goals is higher than Rioli’s and we got him in the 4th round of the draft.

I have always thought Micky Martyn was as good, if not better than Full Back of the Century, Steve Silvagni, but he is never in discussions for that position except by opponents he regularly played on, and beat, or at least made them "earn it" .

Both in the 300 game club, Micky probably a year or two behind SOS, but both would have played on the same superstar forwards multiple times, would love to know total goals conceded, average goals conceded per game etc,
Yep. Mick Martyn was second picked in Pagan's teams behind Carey. Rarely beaten. My favourite memory is seeing him as a 19 year old rubbing Brian Taylor's schnoz along the advertising hoardings at the social club end at Victoria Park. Priceless.

I know that Jimmy and Phil were regarded by opposition supporters and the media but in their prime, some of the things they did were nothing short of sublime.

Jimmy was never unwilling to go in and under to get the ball but often I'd watch as the two bros would wait outside of a pack, circling, judging where the ball might come out - I'd never noticed other players do this so overtly. And with success. But the famous RADAR was amazing. Phil would break away and there were times when it seemed impossible for Jimmy know where Phil was yet he'd flick out a pass that I don't think any other player of that era could execute.

It's well known what the Krakouer brothers copped from both sides of the fence although despite the vilification they received, they were magnificent practitioners of modern football. I have never seen players who I admired more for what they were able to do on the field.

Listen to the commentary in the second clip. This is what we long for. Those commentators were underrated too.

In the highlighted game we had Glendenning, Blight, Grieg and Dempsey - all Brownlow medalists. In addition, there were also some other really fine players. But out of all of them, the Krakouer brothers, playing their second VFL game were just supurb!

As good as Ross Glendinning was in the first half of the 80's, Jimmy Krakouer was our best player in the 80's. Tough, skilful and a star. Should have been in the initial TOTC imo.

Underrated

“Swatta”

Just feel he’s often forgotten about a bit ( maybe because of the way it ended when he left) but was electric. As talented as any player from that golden 90’s era.

Overrated

“The big Russian”

Serviceable, but Kinda got the feeling he got cult status for being well… a “big Russian” Vs his ruck craft being overly superior to any his contemporaries?

Cheers

Underrated, I think Martin Pike . He was skilful , tough and could play anywhere on the ground. His off field exploits was where he would go astray . Ended up playing in about 5 or 6 Grand Finals winning about 4 ,also won a best and fairest at Fitzroy.

Last edited:
LT underrated and maligned.

Certainly no one in the media would want to talk about how he kicked 50 more goals than Cyril Rioli.

And if he played in a better team, it would have been 150.

LT was *in sick. One of my favourites ever. He was probably the last true small forward that we had.

Our blokes today couldn't crumb a schnitzel.

Ben Warren. Good lead, straight kick. He is a hill I will die on.

The broken leg and hip issue really f***ed him over.

We were headed into docklands on game day and my son had a scarf with a bunch of badges on it. One of them was Milky’s.
We were stopped at pedestrian lights and Ben Warren was actually stopped at the same lights.

He noticed his badge and remarked that he’s never seen anyone have one before. Which made my son beam because I mean why wouldn’t he. He had the badge of a player who appreciated him having his badge. We probably lost, I think Warren went alright. But my son who would have been maybe 8 at the time recalled it for my daughter like a decade later.

Little nothing interactions matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for underrated I’d say Leigh Adams.

An additional midfielder playing off the half forward line. Neat kick and hard at it.

Underrated I think Martin Pyke . He was skilful , tough and could play anywhere on the ground. His off field exploits was where he would go astray . Ended up playing in about 5 or 6 Grand Finals winning about 4 ,also won a best and fairest at Fitzroy.
Ironic that outside of some Hawthorne players, Pyke and Mooney are amongst the most decorated AFL players.

The broken leg and hip issue really f***ed him over.

We were headed into docklands on game day and my son had a scarf with a bunch of badges on it. One of them was Milky’s.
We were stopped at pedestrian lights and Ben Warren was actually stopped at the same lights.

He noticed his badge and remarked that he’s never seen anyone have one before. Which made my son beam because I mean why wouldn’t he. He had the badge of a player who appreciated him having his badge. We probably lost, I think Warren went alright. But my son who would have been maybe 8 at the time recalled it for my daughter like a decade later.

Little nothing interactions matter.
That is an awesome story.

Not sure if mentioned so far but Mark ‘refrigerator’ Roberts was kind of under rated. Skillfull and evasive for a player his size. Helped that he played in an awesome North team for a few years. At the Bears he looked like a typical suburban tradie having a kick on the weekend. He genuinely surprised me when he joined us.

I know I’m going to cop it but Simpkin to me is over rated. Probably because our list is poor and we don’t have too many good players out there. We kind of laud him because he shows some glimpses of genuine skill. 100 games in and he really should be a top liner dominating and influencing games. Drifts in and out too much for me. Maybe if Cunnington was out there all the time the burden would lift from him. Hopefully as our young midfielders and team develops he can become the leader we all want him to become. But at the moment I don’t think he is captaincy material.

Spider Burton was underrated I thought. Quality tap ruckman, and his skills were tidy. His runs with the odd baulk were always enjoyable to watch as well. Also Peter Bell and Shannon Grant. Absolute guns.
Jmac was overated. Small defender who couldn’t tackle and wrap up small forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back