Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be more inclined to think that they don’t necessarily see Tristan as another KPF.

This is possibly true, but he can pass for one whilst one doesn't exist.

I am a fan of the process-driven approach, but I fear a big weakness of this is that it can be very mechanical and data-driven, thereby you lose touch of the game at times. The Xerri one is a glaring example.

Personally I think we are over complicating the game plan on here. The Fact is yesterday up until 3/4 time we were smashed in the midfield in particular clearances and contested possession. Our tackle pressure around the ball was non existent. Our willingness to run defensively was non existent. Goldie was invisible. In the last we dominated in those areas and kicked 5 goals. For me the problem begins and ends with the midfielders. Unless Ben 10 is dominating and Goldie playing a blinder we are incapable of stoping opposition run’s. Everyone pushing back defensively is a by product to the fact the expectation is it that ball isn’t coming forward. When we do it get we don’t quick enough to give the forwards a chance. Yes I think Xerri should have also played as a target yesterday but Corey and Wayne would catch a cold fronting up to this current midfield.

Unless Ben 10 is dominating

It's not even dominating.

There is zero to go to when Ben is sat on by a tagger.

It in itself is an enduring issue.

Jed may have helped in that regard yesterday. But we seem pretty uninspired for ideas to combat him getting tagged.

I am a fan of the process-driven approach, but I fear a big weakness of this is that it can be very mechanical and data-driven, thereby you lose touch of the game at times. The Xerri one is a glaring example.

Okay, I'll ask you then mate.

What IS the process, and how do you see it delivering?

How about you don't ask questions until you answer the ones you still have outstanding.

This is possibly true, but he can pass for one whilst one doesn't exist.

I think we will see him in the coming weeks, I think Nobles concern might be our mobility and fitness. I read somewhere that he was shocked at how poor it was when he arrived maybe he sees another tall as too much of a risk.

Campbell was performing so he got a spot but I think he’s dipped enough to warrant Xerri coming in if it simply is a mobility question.

Overall I think it’s extremely difficult to judge anything with the available players on hand. Bring stevo, mcdonald Anderson, Tarrant, corr heck even Polec and I think we might see where the plan is at.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well Noble could’ve tried Xerri in that deep forward role this week. :stern look

I really hope post bye it is Xerri in and Campbell out.

Let’s face facts. Noble ain’t perfect. Questions regarding the game plan are warranted. But it’s not just that. The Non Selection of Xerri had me baffled. You gots to reward a guy who Dominated in the VFL the previous week. Especially when we lost by 72 points. What sort of message is that sending Xerri? Look for another club? Also the use on Turner was stupid. Played well as a defensive / tagging midfielder yet in the last 2 weeks used to look after small forwards. So yeah questioning the Coach is fine because we are last. At the bottom! :stern look

With Turner it looks like Noble is trying to develop him in as many roles as possible. I reckon the aim is to have a situation where if in 2023 Kayneo is sitting on an opposition mid and we're going well but their small forward to looking dangerous, he can move over seamlessly.

While we are going the negative, we also have to look at the positives.

Bailey Scott was dropped due to lack of defensive edge, is brought back in relatively quickly and takes Brad Hill to the cleaners.

Already addressed this

You've stated an opinion and simply restated it? If you want a stay at home attack that's fine. You're very much against the trend on that one but people do like being contrarian these days.

Personally I think we are over complicating the game plan on here. The Fact is yesterday up until 3/4 time we were smashed in the midfield in particular clearances and contested possession. Our tackle pressure around the ball was non existent. Our willingness to run defensively was non existent. Goldie was invisible. In the last we dominated in those areas and kicked 5 goals. For me the problem begins and ends with the midfielders. Unless Ben 10 is dominating and Goldie playing a blinder we are incapable of stoping opposition run’s. Everyone pushing back defensively is a by product to the fact the expectation is it that ball isn’t coming forward. When we do it get we don’t quick enough to give the forwards a chance. Yes I think Xerri should have also played as a target yesterday but Corey and Wayne would catch a cold fronting up to this current midfield.

If ball winning and tackle pressure yesterday were our main issue (I do agree they were issues), then we wouldn't see the following theme:

Only once in the preceding 5 games have we been on the better side of the shots per inside 50 ledger. That was against Collingwood, where we were marginally better by 1 per cent. Against Essendon we had more inside 50s for far fewer scoring shots. We had only 2 more scoring shots against Hawthorn from 19 more inside 50s. We had nearly as many inside 50s as Melbourne for 7 fewer scoring shots, and against Freo our conversion percentage was possibly the worst it has been.

I can't be bothered doing the other rounds but it's a continuing theme.

vs Essendon
Ess: 33 shots from 50 inside 50s
NM: 18 shots from 51 inside 50s

vs Hawthorn
Haw: 23 shots from 40 inside 50s
NM: 25 shots from 59 inside 50s

vs Collingwood
Collingwood: 26 shots from 55 inside 50s
NM: 25 shots from 52 inside 50s

vs Melbourne
Melbourne: 28 shots from 52 inside 50s
NM: 21 shots from 51 inside 50s

vs Freo
Freo: 32 shots from 54 inside 50s
NM: 18 shots from 44 inside 50s

You've stated an opinion and simply restated it? If you want a stay at home attack that's fine. You're very much against the trend on that one but people do like being contrarian these days.

I stated that 'stay at home' wasn't the action I was advocating. It's a false dichotomy to suggest that just because I don't think our FF is best placed in the defensive structure at CHB that therefore I want him staying at home in the goal square. There's what, a good 150+m of spectrum there?

When I addressed this first comment originally (when someone far more politely made the same point you made), I simply advocated stretching the structure by another short kick or so toward the forward half. As Melbourne, the Bulldogs and various other teams do. It's a slight adjustment but allows us to come AT the ball carrier rather than running back with the flight and having to hold play up.

Having two is better than one, because while one is in the contest, the other can hook back at him. We don't have two, which sucks, but we simply aren't going to score much with such a tight press. It guarantees repeat entries and turnovers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldy got smashed yesterday
Campbell was ok

Xerri needed to come in on form. That was a mistake. Would it had made a difference to us winning? Probably not but if we don’t reward good form like our old coaches, we’re going to get some disgruntled players and complacency

Does Xerri have the fitness base to run all day with the modern rucks? Grundy types.

I suspect that's what is keeping him out for now.

Mordy, you don't think anyone is actually calling for a Tony Lockett type full forward in 2021, do you mate?

It's about maintaining some type of a threatening tall forward structure at the back of the press, to take pressure relieving marks, counter thrust marks, and for the crumbers to run on to................and dare I say it............to give us a tall long option down the line.

Nick Larkey vs 2 defenders isn't going to cut it mate.

Against Essendon we had more inside 50s for far fewer scoring shots.
I reckon the vast majority of our inside 50s would have been lucky to have gotten closer than 40 meters from goal. They were very shallow and generally whisked away at pace.

They absolutely set up for this to be the case against us.

Does Xerri have the fitness base to run all day with the modern rucks? Grundy types.

I suspect that's what is keeping him out for now.

Why does he get singled out for not having a tank and we have other blokes who can't perform the defensive/offensive running they're being asked to?

I reckon the vast majority of our inside 50s would have been lucky to have gotten closer than 40 meters from goal. They were very shallow and generally whisked away at pace.

They absolutely set up for this to be the case against us.

Forget about the opposition, how many of our approaches to the scoring zone are convoluted and prone to errors?

I'll go with 80% so far this year.

Why does he get singled out for not having a tank and we have other blokes who can't perform the defensive/offensive running they're being asked to?

Because he's coming off a bout of OP.

Which would be odd because we've only used as a KPF and pretty sure he was considered a forward who can ruck.

But the actions speak for themselves to an extent.

...........as recently as when Campbell was playing in the VFL with him!!!!!!

I'm not claiming that X still doesn't have work to do, but if that doesn't also apply to at least 4-6 blokes Noble is picking every week, then he is sniffing glue!

How'd he run out the VFL game against *?

Very well.

In fact, his work rate is already AFL standard for a 200cm bloke. There's nothing wrong with his tank.

...........as recently as when Campbell was playing in the VFL with him!!!!!!

Exactly!!

I think they are showing a little respect to the Big man Tom who is by all accounts highly regarded and worked his arse off to find and prove AFL level form.

Backing him in to get a good run at it while hes kicking goals and providing structure and letting X dominate isn't bad IMHO. If you watch the X interview he explains it himself.

His time will come soon.

Also - I dont believe the bit about them wanting to see him forward , they are happy giving Big Tom som reward for effort and force a player to knock the door down.

I’m not an inner scrotum type, so I wouldn’t 100% know.

I’m just a fan of the approach method itself and its successful application amongst highly successful sports clubs. Ultimately, it is about producing a singular planned vision and getting everyone to invest in it by having a stake in it, and contributing to its success. Noble may or may not have the right processes, but is too early to tell atm. If he fails, it is because he stuffed the method with crap processes.

In saying all that, I can still guess. Starting from club strategy informing everything from the support, the organisation and coaches all the way down to individual preparations. The organisational, support and coaching processes, including VFL list management, have barely been implemented and will have to be seriously addressed over the next 2 years. Next is the gameplan and that is in the early stages of development. It has already been critiqued by others smarter than me. I think list management, average forward structures and fitness are the biggest problems with the gameplan, but the processes approach does allow for adjustment and reflection.

Next is list management and having clear processes for that aspect. What talent should be targeted, should leaders be targeted, do all scouts have clear instructions on what they should be looking for, etc. Then there’s player management and getting the right development processes in place so the vfl side isn’t being wasted and we are actually developing kids. This feature is poorly developed as Noble inherited rubbish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back