Roast No Saints in Robbo's Top 50 - Who is our best player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, Steven is still our best pretty clearly IMO and I think it tells us so that even though he struggled physically for most of last season, he was still the one that was heavily targeted by the teams who tag.

As well as Seb went (and he came 8th in the Coaches votes, got 14 Brownlow votes and made the AA squad, so he was pretty bloody good!) I'm not aware of any team having tagged him even once, so it says something about how good Stuv is that he was still the one they targeted, even though he was struggling physically and generally well short of his previous best, while Seb seemed to be fully fit and in career-best form comfortably.

Even after his down year last year Stuv is still ranked 19th in the player rankings (down from 14 the year before). And while I know they can be very questionable in plenty of instances, I think they're generally much more on the money at the pointy end, where you have to have played at a very level for a fair while to get ranked that high.

The rest of the comp and general footy community will get a much better appreciation of how good and damaging Stuv is once we start playing in finals and more high profile matches, IMO.

steven top 10 mids
carlisle top 5 chb's
billings top 4 half forwards
roberton in the top 7 half backs in the afl

and do not be surprised if sinclair , steele and ross leap forward this year to be elite

Maybe Billings.

There's easily 10 in front of Steven as mids, probably 20. Off the top of my head: Sloane, Kennedy, Parker, Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett, Martin, Fyfe, Kelly, Mitchell. Probably Merrett, M Crouch, Pendlebury, Cotchin, Hannebery, many others.

Carlisle, not sure. Rance, Hurley, McGovern are clearly ahead. Probably Lever and maybe Jeremy Howe. On current form he's probably in a group with Liam Jones, Lachie Henderson, Steven May, Robbie Tarrant.

Steven 40-60
Ross 50-70
Billings 50-70

I’m not actually to shocked to be honest. Steven if fit is definitely top 50. If Ross has another outstanding year he could
Also be top 50. Billings is the one. If he can manage to kick 30-40 goals on a wing half forward this year while averaging 23-25 touches a game he could sky Rocket into the top 25 imo.

In the player rating which are done over a few seasons Steven is the only one in the top 50 at 18. He had a poor year due to injury so wasn't high on many lists. Seb will go up as will Robbo and Carlisle because all three were coming from a low base. Billings should be a big mover too but we have a lack of star power so not a heap of high players.

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings#club/CD_T130

In the player rating which are done over a few seasons Steven is the only one in the top 50 at 18. He had a poor year due to injury so wasn't high on many lists. Seb will go up as will Robbo and Carlisle because all three were coming from a low base. Billings should be a big mover too but we have a lack of star power so not a heap of high players.

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings#club/CD_T130

But what is Slobbo's rating meant to be based on?
Is he simply copying the champion data without taking such things into account? He's meant to be talking 2018 isn't he?

Steven is our best player and has been for a few years now.

Ross probably second but I expect Billings to at the very least be equal first soon.
Interesting. I think most outsiders prefer Ross because Steven is perceived as a Matt Priddis type player. Honest as the day is long without having that ceiling to do the flashy stuff.

Interesting. I think most outsiders prefer Ross because Steven is perceived as a Matt Priddis type player. Honest as the day is long without having that ceiling to do the flashy stuff.
I can guarantee you he'd only be perceived that way by you my friend.

Most bizarre call I’ve ever heard. You do realise we’re talking about Jack Steven? Explosive midfielder, plays absolutely nothing like Priddis....
check the highlights video just posted

Classic

Bloke is a better & faster version of Marc Murphy

Most bizarre call I’ve ever heard. You do realise we’re talking about Jack Steven? Explosive midfielder, plays absolutely nothing like Priddis....
check the highlights video just posted

It’s like comparing Josh Kennedy to Levi Casboult.

“Yeah Josh can take a mark and all that but he’s not very accurate in front of goal”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven plays a lot of good footy, but I still think he is not elite although probably our best player on his day. We really haven't had elite players over the last few years, and even lacked enough A graders. I think we have an A- player in Steven, a B+ coach, a few B+ and B grade players and then it's C and D graders. Pretty poor effort over recent years to have such an uneven list.

The fat useless slob
2ue5lix.jpg

Post of the morning. For humour at least. Steven a priddis type. Do you think Gresham is similar to big Cox?

Robbo may have got in wrong in peoples opinion for not having a Saints player but the public voted today and only had one Sainter in it and that's Jeremy McGovern so he wasn't that wrong.

deep down we probably believe it to a degree. We currently lack superstar players, which is why the “will saints make the 8” poll thread is stacked towards no.
Only 18 teams in the comp and we think we can only maybe squeeze a player in at 40-50.

I’m much more interested in the end of season top 50. If it’s still 0, we should be very concerned. There are definately players that can shift themselves into that position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back