Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
pretty sad that a bunch of dooshbag dinosaurs have jumped on twitter to pot gang of youths after that pre-game.

Dave's vocals were a bit off but still a really good performance from the band overall. I know what I'd prefer for a full gig between g.o.y and a 65 year old jimmy barnes.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
That was a disappointing game by the Storm. Got ran apart in the first half, probably the worst I've seen them play all year. Came back fighting in the second half and won it, but was to little to late. Had a feeling before the game the Chooks would run up a score at some point. It's a shame, three Grand Finals in a row and only one to show for it. Becoming a habit of losing more than they win at this rate. Need to find the next big three asap if they want to avoid dropping off. Well structured and coached team, defensively sound, but could be more potent in attack in big games as that's where Storm seem to go missing.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone else go to WWE Super showdown tonight? Really enjoyed it, especially Buddy Murphy’s match

It’s great to see him take the bit between his teeth again.
After all the neighsayers said he was cooked too.
They reckoned he was short of a gallop but they trot that line out all the time. He would have bridled at that.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
pretty sad that a bunch of dooshbag dinosaurs have jumped on twitter to pot gang of youths after that pre-game.

Dave's vocals were a bit off but still a really good performance from the band overall. I know what I'd prefer for a full gig between g.o.y and a 65 year old jimmy barnes.

It was ridiculous; at least the NRL have their finger on the pulse when it comes to pop culture, the AFL either brings out has-beens who nobody cares about or performers that aren't suited for getting the blood pumping. AFL getting the Killers last year was an anomaly, not them actually doing a good job.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It was ridiculous; at least the NRL have their finger on the pulse when it comes to pop culture, the AFL either brings out has-beens who nobody cares about or performers that aren't suited for getting the blood pumping. AFL getting the Killers last year was an anomaly, not them actually doing a good job.
I suppose the NRL have to be good at something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics

The Killers was just as much pure luck as good AFL design. The band was sort of on hiatus and were bringing out a new album and wanting to promote a giant world tour including a large aussie and asian leg. A band of their quality will probably never play at the grand final again unless some things change at the top.

I do a lot of work for the AFL in my 9-5 and I can assure you there are some great minds there when it comes to putting engaging events together, they're just not in the right roles and overruled by dinosaurs all the time.

The NRL's entertainment offerings are always significantly better than the AFL. Not just because of the ability for better lighting and pyro shows, they just pick better artists, and work harder on that element. Despite what the dinosaurs on twitter said, I think gang of youths were a great choice.

NRL only has to spend money on 4 or 5 games each year in origin and the granny, and they do a pretty good job with that budget. AFL is too spread out now with so much dosh spent on a specialty round every two weeks.

It’s great to see him take the bit between his teeth again.
After all the neighsayers said he was cooked too.
They reckoned he was short of a gallop but they trot that line out all the time. He would have bridled at that.
Pakistan all out for 482.
Good to see Peter Saddle was the mane man and able to rein them in after their opening partnership got 205.

Pakistan all out for 482.
Good to see Peter Saddle was the mane man and able to rein them in after their opening partnership got 205.[/QUOTE

Really did clear every hurdle in his first test back. He will be better for the run too.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was there, immortalised on the WWE Network multiple times.
I’d never been to a wrestling event before. Watched WWE on and off for nearly 20 years, and some TNA when Foxtel has the rights. Such a good experience and good to see how it all works in person.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d never been to a wrestling event before. Watched WWE on and off for nearly 20 years, and some TNA when Foxtel has the rights. Such a good experience and good to see how it all works in person.
This was the first time i'd been to a WWE show that was broadcast on the network. The live events they usually do here as part of the annual tours are just house shows and aren't on the network, so more creative freedom between wrestlers and crowd etc. Still great to see the production side of things though, as you said.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This was the first time i'd been to a WWE show that was broadcast on the network. The live events they usually do here as part of the annual tours are just house shows and aren't on the network, so more creative freedom between wrestlers and crowd etc. Still great to see the production side of things though, as you said.
Yeah was thinking that. Usually it’s at Rod Laver, not filmed and you might see some breaking of character etc.

Now that I’ve seen this I’d be pretty keen to see what their usual offerings are like.

Just so happy I got the chance to see the Undertaker live. Literally had goosebumps when his entrance theme hit.

lateniter

All Australian
Oct 9, 2012
NSW Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Norwood, East Perth, Spurs, 49ers
I just found out that the legendary Australian athlete, Peter Norman, was the Doggies' running coach during the 1980s.
And today, October 9th - the day of Norman's funeral in 2006 - was declared Peter Norman Day by US athletics officials for Norman's gesture in supporting Tommie Smith and John Carlos on the dais when they gave their famous black power salute at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City.
The incident ended Norman's career and it took until 2012 for federal parliament to apologise for the way he was treated by Australian athletics officialdom.
Norman's nephew, Matt (a Doggies fan) was interviewed yesterday in a podcast by the ABC's Richard Fidler. He's made a documentary about his uncle, called Salute.
For those too young to remember, Norman won the 200 metres silver medal in what is still the Australian record time.
He knew that Carlos and Smith were going to stage a protest on the dais, and suggested that they share a pair of black gloves in their salute when he heard that one pair got left back in the village. That's why one has his left fist raised and the other his right.
Smith and Carlos both came to Australia to act as pall bearers at Norman's funeral.
It's a great story and I'm proud that the Doggies had a tiny bit of involvement in it.
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-matt-norman/10326552

Remove this Banner Ad

Back