Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1324377Watching Super Bowl lead up stuff. Reminds me we overdo the whole xx team was“overcelebrating” after certain finals wins.

The above .gif was after the Bengals won the AFC North title in the NFL. Not the AFC Conference, not the Super Bowl.

In the grand scheme of things it’s the third to last week of the competition. Semi final weekend loosely. That’s their quarterback smoking a cigar and dancing. Imagine if they were playing Freed From Desire? Who are we as fans to dictate how athletes enjoy results?

Blame our British history. If we had somehow been colonised by the Americans 200 years before it actually happened, then being a bunch of brash arseholes would be celebrated not suppressed as being bad form. One must given ammunition to ones enemy, ol' chap!

Neil Mitchell sticking the boots into AFLW
Tony Jones had some positive comments including having games as curtain raisers for AFL

Edit - sounded like he was inviting crticism generally [and got a hater caller but then a positive] but seemed to be mainly criticising timing of the comp and organisation

Last edited:
So what is the Super Bowl actually all about anyway? It starts with some famous singer attempting to moan and screech out the US National Anthem, the football game is terrible, and too start stoppish and drawn out. The half time show somehow manages to steal all of the attention away from the game, and all of the media focus is upon how great the TV ads are and the half time show. And ohh! Some team that has no player loyalty or long term affiliation to the city it represents wins the second half and everyone gets all excited about it.

So what's so bloody special about it?

So what is the Super Bowl actually all about anyway? It starts with some famous singer attempting to moan and screech out the US National Anthem, the football game is terrible, and too start stoppish and drawn out. The half time show somehow manages to steal all of the attention away from the game, and all of the media focus is upon how great the TV ads are and the half time show. And ohh! Some team that has no player loyalty or long term affiliation to the city it represents wins the second half and everyone gets all excited about it.

So what's so bloody special about it?
I deliberately ignore this event, but someone in my family watches the Today show in the mornings (something else I deliberately try to ignore). This morning they referred to the half-time show with all sorts of over-the-top superlatives, then played a sample of it. Yeah, it was ok, I guess, but I saw Birds of Tokyo and Icehouse live at Torquay on Saturday, and I'm quite satisfied with my ongoing avoidance of all things Superbowl. It's much like AFL GF 'entertainment' - over-produced, augmented 'performances' show-casing a brief snap-shot of the performers for consumers with short attention spans. And throwing some random legendary performers together on-stage does not replicate seeing those same performers individually.

Say what you want about the spectacle of the Superbowl but the NFL in general is excellent with the way it promotes its on field product. From game day commentary, to the studio shows, the documentaries etc... they celebrate winning and individual brilliance without getting too caught up much else.

Say what you want about the spectacle of the Superbowl but the NFL in general is excellent with the way it promotes its on field product. From game day commentary, to the studio shows, the documentaries etc... they celebrate winning and individual brilliance without getting too caught up much else.
The trouble with American Football is that it's statistically obsessed. Bont had 13 touches, 8 hand disposals with 86 % efficiency rating and 65 % efficiency improvement by sideways glances; 23 nods to the coaching bench with a response rate of 89 positive implications and in the second quarter .....

The trouble with American Football is that it's statistically obsessed. Bont had 13 touches, 8 hand disposals with 86 % efficiency rating and 65 % efficiency improvement by sideways glances; 23 nods to the coaching bench with a response rate of 89 positive implications and in the second quarter .....
For the quarterback most definitely, but at the end of the day all that gets put to the side in favour of who actually won. Marino, Rodgers have amazing numbers but they aren't held in same reverence as Brady, Manning etc... It isn't for everyone but I definitely found once I got a better understanding of the tactical game play that goes into every play (which is almost always driven by downs and field position) I fell in love with it. Everytime the SuperBowl rolls around you'll get people lamenting how there is only 13 minutes of action or the hits aren't hard as they were padding (which might be the dumbest argument ever made). Like I always say appreciate it for what it is, not what it isn't.

Now baseball is most definitely a sport that is obsessed with statistics because pre-steroid era you could pull up somebodies stats from 1910 and be able to compare them almost apple for apple with someone today. If I grew up in America I would have been drawn to it for sure, the amount of dedicated needed to follow a team for 162 games is nuts. These days I stick to watching the post-season which is still very good.

For the quarterback most definitely, but at the end of the day all that gets put to the side in favour of who actually won. Marino, Rodgers have amazing numbers but they aren't held in same reverence as Brady, Manning etc... It isn't for everyone but I definitely found once I got a better understanding of the tactical game play that goes into every play (which is almost always driven by downs and field position) I fell in love with it. Everytime the SuperBowl rolls around you'll get people lamenting how there is only 13 minutes of action or the hits aren't hard as they were padding (which might be the dumbest argument ever made). Like I always say appreciate it for what it is, not what it isn't.

Now baseball is most definitely a sport that is obsessed with statistics because pre-steroid era you could pull up somebodies stats from 1910 and be able to compare them almost apple for apple with someone today. If I grew up in America I would have been drawn to it for sure, the amount of dedicated needed to follow a team for 162 games is nuts. These days I stick to watching the post-season which is still very good.
The 13 minutes of playing time is what I tried to satarise. I get the tactical stuff, try watching Scottish soccer or an All-Ireland Final between Dublin and whoever. I know a bloke who became interested in (obsessed a better word from my point of view) Sumo wrestling, ignoring the heart stopping competition between the blades of grass of his back lawn in Spring. At risk of offending, I once played a game of Rugby Union as a second rower (?). I spent the afternoon wandering from scrum to scrum rubbing my ears, where's the sport in that ? I reckon International Rules is/was the ultimate game, free spirited, minimal interruptions, limited physical danger (when Lindsay Gilbee gets to be an enforcer, what does that say ?), best of all, no stats.

Baseball - cricket. For the Peter Roebucks and Gideon Haigh's of this world, stats rule but Test Cricket is the character revealing battle, as fascinating as a Frederick Forsyth novel.

NFL linemen have won rate %, both block and pass OR sacks and tackle for loss. There are stats everywhere, even max speed readings and analysis that makes our AFL look primitive.
Love NFL.

NFL linemen have won rate %, both block and pass OR sacks and tackle for loss. There are stats everywhere, even max speed readings and analysis that makes our AFL look primitive.
Love NFL.
There's nothing wrong with stats obsession but that's not sport. Give me the ball in hand, the field in front of me, blokes peeling off as pass targets and some fat bloke closing who's going to pulverise me if, probably even if, I don't pass it off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like I'll be going to Epworth Richmond(ick) after seeing my cardiologist today. She wants some tests done since I've been having some chest pains. There is a history of heart problems in my family. This complicates matters with my autonomic failure with the low blood pressure. Cost $187 return to the city today to see the cardio via Uber and a taxi. That almost gave me a heart attack! ;)

Looks like I'll be going to Epworth Richmond(ick) after seeing my cardiologist today. She wants some tests done since I've been having some chest pains. There is a history of heart problems in my family. This complicates matters with my autonomic failure with the low blood pressure. Cost $187 return to the city today to see the cardio via Uber and a taxi. That almost gave me a heart attack! ;)
Yikes 😳 hope they sort it out for you Chicago

Yikes 😳 hope they sort it out for you Chicago
My cardiologist called and put me back on blood thinners. She called the respiratory doctor who took care of me at Royal Melbourne last year and he thinks I should have another chest CT scan to rule out another blood clot. I'll probably go in tomorrow. I haven't really been walking around a lot since I moved to this retirement village. Now with cooler weather I can go outside again.

My cardiologist called and put me back on blood thinners. She called the respiratory doctor who took care of me at Royal Melbourne last year and he thinks I should have another chest CT scan to rule out another blood clot. I'll probably go in tomorrow. I haven't really been walking around a lot since I moved to this retirement village. Now with cooler weather I can go outside again.
When did you start experiencing chest pains?

When did you start experiencing chest pains?
I had some last week but wasn't too concerned at the time. With my disease I have good days and bad days with my blood pressure and other symptoms. It happened again on Monday so I told my cardiologist yesterday. The pulmonary embolism I had last year made me cautious. If the CT scan is clear then we'll look at other possibilities.

I had some last week but wasn't too concerned at the time. With my disease I have good days and bad days with my blood pressure and other symptoms. It happened again on Monday so I told my cardiologist yesterday. The pulmonary embolism I had last year made me cautious. If the CT scan is clear then we'll look at other possibilities.
Sounds like you’re in good hands mate. Hopefully it’s just a niggle.

My wife had one last week, spent the night in the respiratory ward while heavily pregnant, but fortunately it was resolved without too much fuss. Scary stuff, hope all goes well mate

In April, 1954 Dr Roger Bannister became the 1st miler to break the 4 minute barrier. He cheated, of course, a Pom, what else would you expect ? paced by Chris’ Brasher and Chataway. Brasher won 1956 Olympic gold for the 3000 m Steeplechase, no slouch.

John Landy from Geelong was thereabouts running 4 mins 03 and 4.04 in inter clubs during the Aths season 1953 – 1954 but AAA rules said no pacing and there was no one in Australia who could, anyway. The Brit got there first. The two met at the Edmonton Empire Games later that year, Bannister won what was styled the "Golden Mile", the account of the race is interesting. 1950s journalist Harry Gordon’s analysis has it that Landy went to Geelong Grammar, a Public School in the British tradition, Landy was intimidated by the British Oxford educated Bannister and lost the Golden Mile but won Governorship of Victoria.

In the next Olympics, 1956 in Melbourne, Landy competed but came third, behind Ronnie Delaney representing the Republic of Ireland but a product of the US University system. Landy was a great public servant in the now, regretfully, long gone tradition of real public service. As a runner, his successor, the great Herb Elliott, leaves him for dead. Herb never, repeat never, lost a mile or 1500 metre race from School to Olympics.

Whilst we are at it, pay Tribute to Footscray Harriers’ Noel Freeman, Silver Medalist 1960 Rome Olympics 20 k walk, disqualified in the 50 k walk whilst in the lead (and me slinging off at Brit milers, eh ?).

Vale John Landy and his traditions

Last edited:
My wife had one last week, spent the night in the respiratory ward while heavily pregnant, but fortunately it was resolved without too much fuss. Scary stuff, hope all goes well mate
Good to hear she is ok!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back