Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No heart
No history
No real fan base

Club built on money and money alone
That’s not fair. They have all those things.

The only thing you can accuse City of is having glory-hunting fans...and that is true of any successful team. They also have lots of long-serving fans who’ve put up with some pretty miserable footy for decades.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That’s not fair. They have all those things.

The only thing you can accuse City of is having glory-hunting fans...and that is true of any successful team. They also have lots of long-serving fans who’ve put up with some pretty miserable footy for decades.

Sorry

They were a 3rd division club until the money come in and still would be If it didn’t

They have very small travelling crowds and NEVER fill their own stadium.

Every team has its diehards but City wouldn’t be in the top 25 European clubs for support numbers(and I’m not counting the African or Asian “fans” that have just discovered them.

Sorry

They were a 3rd division club until the money come in and still would be If it didn’t

They have very small travelling crowds and NEVER fill their own stadium.

Every team has its diehards but City wouldn’t be in the top 25 European clubs for support numbers(and I’m not counting the African or Asian “fans” that have just discovered them.
Your usual tripe.

Man City have a long and proud heritage. Man Utd don't even play in Manchester, they are Trafford based.

Who can forget such eminent players such as Colin Bell, Francis Lee and Don Revie.

I'm a Leeds boy and hopefully we'll get back to the top flight.

Manchester City had a large fanbase even before its success in recent years. Since moving to the City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester City's average attendances have been in the top six in England,[24] usually in excess of 40,000. Even in the late 1990s, when the club were relegated twice in three seasons and playing in the third tier of English football (then Division Two, now Football League One), home attendances were in the region of 30,000, compared to an average for the division of fewer than 8,000.[25] Research carried out by Manchester City in 2005 estimates a fanbase of 886,000 in the United Kingdom and a total in excess of 4 million worldwide.[26]
In the most recent season, 2014–2015, Manchester City had the fourth highest average attendance in English football and the third highest in the Premier League, with only Manchester United, Arsenal and Newcastle United drawing greater crowds.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Your usual tripe.

Man City have a long and proud heritage. Man Utd don't even play in Manchester, they are Trafford based.

Who can forget such eminent players such as Colin Bell, Francis Lee and Don Revie.

I'm a Leeds boy and hopefully we'll get back to the top flight.

Manchester City had a large fanbase even before its success in recent years. Since moving to the City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester City's average attendances have been in the top six in England,[24] usually in excess of 40,000. Even in the late 1990s, when the club were relegated twice in three seasons and playing in the third tier of English football (then Division Two, now Football League One), home attendances were in the region of 30,000, compared to an average for the division of fewer than 8,000.[25] Research carried out by Manchester City in 2005 estimates a fanbase of 886,000 in the United Kingdom and a total in excess of 4 million worldwide.[26]
In the most recent season, 2014–2015, Manchester City had the fourth highest average attendance in English football and the third highest in the Premier League, with only Manchester United, Arsenal and Newcastle United drawing greater crowds.

Lol 40000 average for the top team

As I said they don’t even fill their own stadium and sell more away tickets than any other team in the top 6 by a mile.

No idea when you even mentioned Man U. Compared to City fan wise it’s chalk and cheese

Thanks for helping my prove my point. Cheers

And Liverpool research says they have over 580 million fans worldwide, so I guess that 4.9 million City fans really push that number so they?

For clarities sake Man City apparently have around 40 million fans worldwide and the ten biggest counties that Man City fans come from include Malaysia Indonesia India and Vietnam lol.

Their “fan base” has increased over 500% in the last 6 years.

But nah they have plenty of historical fans lol

The don’t call in Emptihad Staduim for nothing

Last edited:

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hope they do it mate. I’m from Leeds. Had a season ticket there when I was growing up. Used to go to the games with Norman Hunter, no less.

Be good to see Leeds back but I think Villa will pinch the spot

Used to love watching them when they were a top team, been in the wilderness too long

Jun 5, 2013
The Stoop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MCFC, Lakers, Phillies, NY Rangers
Lol 40000 average for the top team

As I said they don’t even fill their own stadium and sell more away tickets than any other team in the top 6 by a mile.

No idea when you even mentioned Man U. Compared to City fan wise it’s chalk and cheese

Thanks for helping my prove my point. Cheers

And Liverpool research says they have over 580 million fans worldwide, so I guess that 4.9 million City fans really push that number so they?

For clarities sake Man City apparently have around 40 million fans worldwide and the ten biggest counties that Man City fans come from include Malaysia Indonesia India and Vietnam lol.

Their “fan base” has increased over 500% in the last 6 years.

But nah they have plenty of historical fans lol

The don’t call in Emptihad Staduim for nothing
This attendance argument is pure shite and has been debunked everywhere it’s been brought up. It’s also a rather strange thing for someone who is a bulldog supporter to use as an insult.

Anyway, stay salty Matt...
C4ED4D7B-051E-4A18-BA87-43E74348133C.gif

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This attendance argument is pure shite and has been debunked everywhere it’s been brought up. It’s also a rather strange thing for someone who is a bulldog supporter to use as an insult.

Anyway, stay salty Matt...
View attachment 673262

Yeah I hate it when those pesky numbers get in the way of a good story but keep plugging away mate

I guess those empty seats on the game telecast are cgi? Lol

Enjoy your evening

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
I never take fans of Man City, Chelsea, New England Patriots, Alabama and Golden State seriously when they say they didn't jump on for glory seeking reasons. Because 90% of them actually jumped on the bandwagon. Amazing how defensive and angry they get when you point out that fact. I like you though Mambavino, at least you go way back and rode the long journey. Wish most people would actually jump onto teams for legitimate reasons instead of "they are winning championships lately, but you know I've always liked them, since before they started winning, even though I cannot name one player from that time we did it tough" No wonder the gap between bigger and smaller clubs, or richer and poorer clubs keeps growing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Always find the Manchester City buying titles thing weird. There’d be a strong correlation between spending money and championships won over the history of the Premier League. You’re basically saying it’s ok for Man Utd, Liverpool, etc to buy the title because they have ‘history’ but it’s not ok for anyone else to do the same. It’s valid criticism if you don’t like them because of their ownership and where the money is coming from and not wanting that money in the game.

I never take fans of Man City, Chelsea, New England Patriots, Alabama and Golden State seriously when they say they didn't jump on for glory seeking reasons. Because 90% of them actually jumped on the bandwagon. Amazing how defensive and angry they get when you point out that fact. I like you though Mambavino, at least you go way back and rode the long journey. Wish most people would actually jump onto teams for legitimate reasons instead of "they are winning championships lately, but you know I've always liked them, since before they started winning, even though I cannot name one player from that time we did it tough" No wonder the gap between bigger and smaller clubs, or richer and poorer clubs keeps growing.

I get your point. I try not to judge people by their choice of team. It’s hard to pick a team if you’ve got no family connection to the team or a connection to the city. There aren’t really many other ‘legitimate reasons’ to choose a team. All the generation above me are Bulls fans, had a lot of mates at school who were Brisbane fans or Port Adelaide fans. I think it’s fine to pick a successful team but I really hope they stick through them during the bad times. With the EPL new fans are always going to support a top 6 team because they’re the only teams on FTA for 90% of games.

I’ve got a mate who was a massive Vince Carter fan and followed him wherever he went. Finally decided to settle on Orlando when VC’s career was winding down (and he’s gone on to play for another decade nearly). I think most people are pretty cool with that but if people do the same thing with LeBron it’s outlandish.

What I do find it annoying when people keep swapping bandwagons and gloat about it. There’s a guy at my cricket club who is mad Liverpool fan who wouldn’t shut up when Liverpool had their lead. For the last 8 weeks he’s been getting baited by one of those ‘Man City’ fans about losing the league. The guy is also a Golden State fan and a Cleveland Cavaliers fan which I found hilarious. Haven’t seen him post much about the Cavs this year though. He’s also a Carlton fan so at least he’s stayed with one team.

I hope they do it mate. I’m from Leeds. Had a season ticket there when I was growing up. Used to go to the games with Norman Hunter, no less.

I grew up in Leeds and starting watching them in 1959 when Don Revie came on board. Saw the great John Charles when Revie signed him back from Italy.

I used to get free admission to Elland Road as a schoolboy footballer, we were all given passes for the boys enclosure behind the goals at the Gelderd Road end.

Paul Reaney was a neighbour of mine (I lived in Leeds 9, East End Park). I met Paul on East End Park when he had just signed as an apprentice around 1961. He was decked out in a brand new tracksuit and showed us a few tricks with the ball. Very nice lad.

Paul went to a rugby league school in Hunslet (Hunslet Carr). Lots of great RL players came out of Hunslet, including my cousin Bill Ramsey who started with Hunslet and played in the 1965 Challenge cup against Wigan. He signed for Leeds the following year and toured Australia with the Lions. He was sent off in the 2nd test in Sydney but still played in the 3rd test. Bill won everything going, challenge cup with Leeds, Championship as captain of Bradford Northern and he had stint with Widnes in the front row. I'll catch up with him in August when we are back in Leeds.

Agree.

I lived and worked in California but many years before that I picked the Oakland Raiders after I read the Jim Punkett story. For anyone who doesn't know his story, it's a tragedy he's not in the Hall of Fame. My other team are the Oakland Athletics. Can't beat the $1 hotdogs, $1 beers and $1 admission on Wednesdays at the Coliseum.

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/hall-of-fame-exhibits-plunkett-artifacts/

Jim Plunkett learned about perspective growing up as the only son, along with two older sisters, of blind parents. ''My father was legally blind from birth, but he could get around.He could see a little bit. He wore very thick glasses,'' he said. ''My mother had her vision until she was about 20, but then she had an illness, scarlet fever I think it was. After that, she was totally blind. They met at a school for the blind in San Jose where my mother was learning Braille.''
William Plunkett had a news stand in San Jose, Calif., at first in the Post Office building, later in the Unemployment Office. ''I'd go there and help him,'' Jim Plunkett said. ''But growing up, I didn't feel like I had to take care of either my father or my mother. They were too busy taking care of my sisters and me. I didn't do things to put them out, though. I never wanted to worry them unnecessarily. But sometimes I'd forget. I remember my father always told me to come straight home after school. Any time that I didn't do that, I heard about it.''

Jun 5, 2013
The Stoop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MCFC, Lakers, Phillies, NY Rangers
It's really just a fact of life when a team finds some sustained success that there will be lots of people that jump on the wagon. I'd expect the same would have happened to the Bulldogs if we'd pushed on after 2016 (obviously on a much smaller scale).

I can also appreciate that although I've seen a few ups and downs following City in the late 90's, I've been very fortunate that is has been largely an upward trajectory since then. I would also never claim to have put in the proper hard yards of the working class City locals that have put down their hard earned money and supported the team through the trying times by turning up to matches at Maine road week in week out. Those people deserve the success more than anyone.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
He’s burnt a lot of bridges but if Zion is as good as advertised they’d be tempted to keep the combo together. I’m not sure there’s a good package for him either, maybe they’ll see if the Knicks can get pick 2 and get Morant. Sounds like there is too much bad blood between them and the Lakers to do a deal. We’ll see how it plays out, I think he still leaves but nothing would surprise me.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There’s something to be said for NO hanging on to Davis until the trade deadline, unless they receive a godfather offer.

That pairing of Davis and Zion would be awesome. They fit so well. NO might want to at least have a look at it and see if they can convince Davis to stay.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There’s something to be said for NO hanging on to Davis until the trade deadline, unless they receive a godfather offer.

That pairing of Davis and Zion would be awesome. They fit so well. NO might want to at least have a look at it and see if they can convince Davis to stay.
It's one of the few smart decisions the organisation has made in a while.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How many times do left parties need to lose elections to realise the world is sick of being told what to think, do, accept and agree with.

Asking a person who they will vote for face to face has no bearing on what they do in the booth by themselves.

People in this country want the country they had not the one being forced down their throats and have followed the US and UK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back