Non-AFL chat thread part 2

The landing or the walking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first step on the moon. Can't wait for the 100th anniversary!

The landing happened over six hours earlier.

Booked in a room with Walt Disney in the cryogenic chamber have you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Won't have to. I'll be a sprightly 116 years old after a heart, brain and kidney transplant plus two new knees.

Wow, sounds interesting. You'd probably have a better recollection than me. I was just turning 17, about to start my senior year in high school. I texted my brother in the states and I forgot that he wasn't with the family at the time. He was at a neighbour's house just down the road from my grandmothers. He was 11.

I was 17 too. Harwell was a very nerdy place, of course. I left school at 16 and moved South and what a difference!

I worked on carbon fibres, very new to the world back then. Used to patch my boots with them with epoxy as a binder. Lots of good stuff came from Harwell, reverse osmosis (desal) and non-destructive testing of engine turbines to name but a few.

Happy days...

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Yep, he's incredible.

Happy for Wade too. Wouldn't have played him, didn't think he was good enough at international level but he made his moment count. Looked really dodgy earlier in his innings but was great once he got set.

Spin was pretty vicious at times yesterday. Hopefully Lyon can bowl us to victory.

Out: Smith (inj), Siddle, Bancroft (omitted)
In: Labuschagne, Pattinson, Harris

Harris for Bancroft is an improvement. Should never have been left out. However it looks like a weak batting line-up without Smith. Somebody needs to step up.

Siddle is a bit stiff but I can't understand why no Starc. He's been our best fast bowler for years. Cummins has only overtaken him this last year. I'd have Starc ahead of both Pattinson and Hazlewood.

My tip is England to be batting before stumps tonight and win by 5 wickets. If it ever stops raining.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Out: Smith (inj), Siddle, Bancroft (omitted)
In: Labuschagne, Pattinson, Harris

Harris for Bancroft is an improvement. Should never have been left out. However it looks like a weak batting line-up without Smith. Somebody needs to step up.

Siddle is a bit stiff but I can't understand why no Starc. He's been our best fast bowler for years. Cummins has only overtaken him this last year. I'd have Starc ahead of both Pattinson and Hazlewood.

My tip is England to be batting before stumps tonight and win by 5 wickets. If it ever stops raining.

The reasoning seems to be that England has a lot of boundary hitters and Starc has a tendency to leak boundaries. Keep it tight and build the pressure and watch them rattle. Been working so far, have no problem with no Starc. He’s going to be needed if the pitch is flat and not doing much but if it’s doing a bit I think I’d prefer the more accurate Cummins/Hazlewood/Pattinson/Siddle.

Harris for Bancroft was going to happen. Bancroft looked a long way off. Always up for the battle but never looked like getting free. Was fairly impressed by Harris in Australia but a bit worried how often he gets caught in the gully/behind point and that he never tried to put it away. Deserves a crack.

random__hero

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Blackhawks, SF Giants, 49ers, Jazz
Going Saturday. Players dropping out doesnt bother me, expected that. A bit worried about the view from what I've seen though!!! Wife bought the tickets so not 100% on price.

Yeah ppl were standing up as they couldn’t see whilst sitting in their seats.

Refunds now available from the promoter. Wonder how many empty seats they’ll be on Sat night..

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah ppl were standing up as they couldn’t see whilst sitting in their seats.

Refunds now available from the promoter. Wonder how many empty seats they’ll be on Sat night..
Hopefully, chance to move if we cant see then.
Wonder if they will ty and change arrangements for fear of losing too much money.

Australia is really missing Starc and Siddle. Could cost them the match, maybe even the ashes.

It’s situations like these where both can conjure a wicket out of nothing, especially Siddle. A lot depending on Lyon now.

Wow. What a test. Stokes produced one of the best individual innings I've ever seen (although Botham's at Headingley in 1981 came close). What a player he is. Head and shoulders above the other 21 out there.

We should have won but there was a howler from the umpire when Lyon had him absolutely plumb LBW when they were still 1 run behind. Absolutely stupid review just before that from Payne meant we couldn't review. Hope he learns not to do stupid reviews in future from that. Might well have cost us the ashes. The review system is designed for howlers (like the one they got away with) not for long-shot speculators like the hopeful LBW off Cummins.

Lyon will have nightmares about panicking with the runout too. Leach would have been out by 2 metres.

Every chance England will go on to win this series 3-1 now. Australia will have to dig very deep to recover from that. They couldn't in 1981 and this will haunt them for a long time to come.

Wasn't really sure where to post this, but guess this is probably the best off-topic general chat thread to use. I'm moving from Perth to Melbourne in a couple of weeks, impeccable timing being the end of the AFL season but could be perfect timing if we can extend our season to the last 2 weeks :rainbow:

I'm transferring with my work which is based in the eastern suburbs, but the aim is to get a job in the CBD where my wife will also be transferring to. We are going to be staying in Eltham for about a month or so to begin with, but will be needing to find our own place. My wife has a colleague based in Perth but has an investment property in Northcote, timing could well work as the current tenants are moving out in about 2 months but she is finding out more about the house, what it will cost to rent etc. But as we don't know how it will play out, we still have to keep looking but can't apply for most places until we've done an inspection...which we can't until we are there.

Tricky part for us is that we have 2 small dogs, so that will be the hardest part to find a suitable rental. Basically just looking for advice on what would be the best areas to look at in regards to finding a place, pretty much anything inner city would be apartments/units so not suitable. We are bringing 1 car over with us, ideally don't want to get a 2nd as we want to be able to commute with public transport.

We don't want an hour plus each way commute, I know some people would do that but we want to avoid it as we want to enjoy the city compared to sleepy Perth. I've looked at some suitable places in areas not far from train stations that would be within 30min-1hr travel time, but just looking for more suggestions for other areas I might be able to look in, or if I happen to be looking in areas that aren't/won't be that great. Found a few decent places in the Collingwood/Hawthorn type area, what appears to be a perfect place is in Ormond.

Any suggestions would be great :)

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wasn't really sure where to post this, but guess this is probably the best off-topic general chat thread to use. I'm moving from Perth to Melbourne in a couple of weeks, impeccable timing being the end of the AFL season but could be perfect timing if we can extend our season to the last 2 weeks :rainbow:

I'm transferring with my work which is based in the eastern suburbs, but the aim is to get a job in the CBD where my wife will also be transferring to. We are going to be staying in Eltham for about a month or so to begin with, but will be needing to find our own place. My wife has a colleague based in Perth but has an investment property in Northcote, timing could well work as the current tenants are moving out in about 2 months but she is finding out more about the house, what it will cost to rent etc. But as we don't know how it will play out, we still have to keep looking but can't apply for most places until we've done an inspection...which we can't until we are there.

Tricky part for us is that we have 2 small dogs, so that will be the hardest part to find a suitable rental. Basically just looking for advice on what would be the best areas to look at in regards to finding a place, pretty much anything inner city would be apartments/units so not suitable. We are bringing 1 car over with us, ideally don't want to get a 2nd as we want to be able to commute with public transport.

We don't want an hour plus each way commute, I know some people would do that but we want to avoid it as we want to enjoy the city compared to sleepy Perth. I've looked at some suitable places in areas not far from train stations that would be within 30min-1hr travel time, but just looking for more suggestions for other areas I might be able to look in, or if I happen to be looking in areas that aren't/won't be that great. Found a few decent places in the Collingwood/Hawthorn type area, what appears to be a perfect place is in Ormond.

Any suggestions would be great :)

Where is your initial job? You said Eastern suburbs which is pretty broad. Ormond for example is fine for a city job but not that great for getting to Box Hill (east). Melbourne trains are good for in/out travel but not so good for going across town.

Where is your initial job? You said Eastern suburbs which is pretty broad. Ormond for example is fine for a city job but not that great for getting to Box Hill (east). Melbourne trains are good for in/out travel but not so good for going across town.

Moorabbin/Heatherton area, will be driving initially but looking forward I'm hoping I won't be there for too long. But yeah, trying to work out which areas are good for just in/out of the city as you say

Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Moorabbin/Heatherton area, will be driving initially but looking forward I'm hoping I won't be there for too long. But yeah, trying to work out which areas are good for just in/out of the city as you say

Mentone/Cheltenham is only 30 minute train to city. Close to Moorabbin/Heatherton, beaches, good bars, etc.

Back