Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

My avatar for today is of my father who fought in the Pacific theatre in WWII. This pic was taken in 2002 for Memorial Day at the local cemetery(where he now rests with my mum) at the grave of a veteran. It was in the local newspaper. Dad rarely talked about his experiences during the war with myself or my siblings and we knew why. Lest we forget.

Similar to my Dad. Long time member of the RSL but never marched on ANZAC Day. Never talked about his war experiences.
Respect.

Similar to my Dad. Long time member of the RSL but never marched on ANZAC Day. Never talked about his war experiences.
Respect.
My dad belonged to the local VFW(Veterans of Foreign Wars) and talked about the war there, but never at home. I remember helping him up the stairs to get to the bar and then left. That was his special space. The VFW had a lovely service at dad's wake and sent flowers. A Veterans Memorial was built in our town and we had dad's name, rank, and dates engraved on a brick on a path to it. Today I would have gone to the cemetery and placed red, white and blue flowers on his grave like i did every year. I miss doing that.

Respect.

My dad didn't see action, but was stationed up in Thursday Island. He didn't see his service as worthy of note compared to what others went through. But I know his time there wasn't a picnic either - he told me a couple of stories (always black humor as that's the way he handled distressing things). My uncle (mum's brother) was killed in Bougainville - he's name's on the national war memorial war in Canberra. I think of them all and thank them all on remembrance days.

On a lighter note, interesting article to read at

A history of ‘Mount Mistake’ in Footscray
1605062437289.png

My dad didn't see action, but was stationed up in Thursday Island. He didn't see his service as worthy of note compared to what others went through. But I know his time there wasn't a picnic either - he told me a couple of stories (always black humor as that's the way he handled distressing things). My uncle (mum's brother) was killed in Bougainville - he's name's on the national war memorial war in Canberra. I think of them all and thank them all on remembrance days.
Everyone did their part. And we all should be grateful for whatever they did to serve their country. My mum, who had worked in a beer factory as a beer tester(we always claimed she was a taster), worked in an ammunition factory during the war. One of her brothers was wounded by the Germans and lived out the rest of his life, about forty years, in a Veteran's Home in Wisconsin. We used to visit him when I was a kid but I just have a vague recollection of him. My mum told us that he tried to attack my grandmother one time because she was born in Germany.

View attachment 1008684
When my brother was here two years ago, we were searching where we could park our car and take the train to the city. I told him West Footscray, but I hadn't been there for years. When we Googled a map of how to get to the parking lot on the southside of the tracks he couldn't make out how to get there if we drove down Gordon St. I found out that there was a parking lot on the northside of the tracks which I had never seen before. That saved us from getting lost I think. :)

What a difference that West Footscray station is to what I had been used to!

NBates I have been listening to 3AW for about 50 years and always like to listen in to the morning show despite the relentless right wing blitz on our commie govt. but I think for the first time yesterday couldn't bear to listen to Neil do a review of 2020. Did you stick with him?

NBates I have been listening to 3AW for about 50 years and always like to listen in to the morning show despite the relentless right wing blitz on our commie govt. but I think for the first time yesterday couldn't bear to listen to Neil do a review of 2020. Did you stick with him?

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I've been listening less over the last few months with all stations really. As soon as a station's boring I flick through & turn off if it's not interesting. SEN, 3AW, 774 & ABC Newsradio in that order!

I think I heard a bit of Mitchell yesterday, but as soon as I realised he was claiming having solved the whole coronavirus Vic issues himself (again) I switch stations! We sing Queen's "Flash" with the words "Neil, AAaa!, Saviour of the universe!" to ourselves when he's in that mode. His self importance is astonishing and so is his flaunting of it - he's oblivious to what a narcissist he is. And I've been loathe to tune in lest I mistime it and he's playing that stupid covid song he thinks helped. Neil: "The world's in crisis. Melbourne's in lockdown. I know! Let's write a jingle about it!!" Ugh.

It must have been good to compel you to ask Fossie - what was he banging on about?

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I've been listening less over the last few months with all stations really. As soon as a station's boring I flick through & turn off if it's not interesting. SEN, 3AW, 774 & ABC Newsradio in that order!

I think I heard a bit of Mitchell yesterday, but as soon as I realised he was claiming having solved the whole coronavirus Vic issues himself (again) I switch stations! We sing Queen's "Flash" with the words "Neil, AAaa!, Saviour of the universe!" to ourselves when he's in that mode. His self importance is astonishing and so is his flaunting of it - he's oblivious to what a narcissist he is. And I've been loathe to tune in lest I mistime it and he's playing that stupid covid song he thinks helped. Neil: "The world's in crisis. Melbourne's in lockdown. I know! Let's write a jingle about it!!" Ugh.

It must have been good to compel you to ask Fossie - what was he banging on about?
All I heard was the first minute where he said he was going to '..... look back on the year but also look forward.' It just felt strange after being a regular listener after so long, but just felt I didn't want to hear whatever he was going on about.
Do you love his celebration with What A Wonderful World every time he wins the ratings? :rainbow:

All I heard was the first minute where he said he was going to '..... look back on the year but also look forward.' It just felt strange after being a regular listener after so long, but just felt I didn't want to hear whatever he was going on about.
Do you love his celebration with What A Wonderful World every time he wins the ratings? :rainbow:

Thankfully I've missed that gold!

The sad thing is, when Tony Jones is filling in I almost (ALMOST) miss him - TJ is terrible! He really should get out more as he's not very switched on as to what's going on in the city/state.

Since I have to remain in bed for half an hour after I take my first BP med for the day, I usually listen to Mitchell. It helps raise the BP a bit more, so I guess I should be grateful to him for his medical assistance. However, he is unbearable at times. I guess he has a high opinion of himself which I do not share. Tony Jones can be awfully awful at times. His jack of all trades existence in the media really puzzles me.

I can not stomach Tony Moclair and that twit, Bianca after midnight. And Luke Grant on weekends? JHC Where did he come from? I've switched to him every so often to see how long he takes to irritate me. A few seconds normally. I do enjoy Trevor Chappell on ABC Overnights the best of all. He seems like the nicest, most easy going guy on radio and probably is away from the mic. I only listen to the radio in the morning and after midnight when I'm in bed, so my routine is 3AW in the morning and 774 at night. At least I still have some loyalty toward my old station. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since I have to remain in bed for half an hour after I take my first BP med for the day, I usually listen to Mitchell. It helps raise the BP a bit more, so I guess I should be grateful to him for his medical assistance. However, he is unbearable at times. I guess he has a high opinion of himself which I do not share. Tony Jones can be awfully awful at times. His jack of all trades existence in the media really puzzles me.

I can not stomach Tony Moclair and that twit, Bianca after midnight. And Luke Grant on weekends? JHC Where did he come from? I've switched to him every so often to see how long he takes to irritate me. A few seconds normally. I do enjoy Trevor Chappell on ABC Overnights the best of all. He seems like the nicest, most easy going guy on radio and probably is away from the mic. I only listen to the radio in the morning and after midnight when I'm in bed, so my routine is 3AW in the morning and 774 at night. At least I still have some loyalty toward my old station. :)

Oh yeah, that Moclair, lol!!! He's Sydney centric isn't he? They always put the most fascist ones on late at night hoping no one will notice I think! I don't think I've every listened without switching. ABC is good - except the quiz takes too long!

It was funny one of the overnighters was having a rant about Dan and some woman rang to say she didnt agree so he scolded her and cut her off and the next caller was a guy who agreed with him and he was like thanks mate, good on ya

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club

Have you listened to Fran Kelly, early breakfast RN 1 ? If not, please set your alarm for 5.00 a m, rollover, push the on button and listen to my favourite pinko, lefto, commo Fran (I know her 2nd cousin). Report back in a few days time. We'll all be waiting.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club

View attachment 1008684
Thanks, NBates. A nostalgic journey. Odd name for an overpass. Back in 19 mumble mumble, the now defunct Footscray Harriers trained at the oval and did sprints on the mount over summer.

It was funny one of the overnighters was having a rant about Dan and some woman rang to say she didnt agree so he scolded her and cut her off and the next caller was a guy who agreed with him and he was like thanks mate, good on ya

Permeates all their presenters, but yes, some are more obvious than others lol

Thanks, NBates. A nostalgic journey. Odd name for an overpass. Back in 19 mumble mumble, the now defunct Footscray Harriers trained at the oval and did sprints on the mount over summer.

Pardon my ignorance (and I could google) but who were Footscray Harriers?

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Pardon my ignorance (and I could google) but who were Footscray Harriers?
Amateur Athletic Club. In 1995, it merged with a couple of other clubs to form Western Athletics. It had rooms at the Western Oval, to the south of the Gent Stand. Trained at the football ground. Members competed in inter club track and field in summer and cross country in winter. It occasionally staged races at half time in the early ‘60s.

Thankfully I've missed that gold!

The sad thing is, when Tony Jones is filling in I almost (ALMOST) miss him - TJ is terrible! He really should get out more as he's not very switched on as to what's going on in the city/state.
Tone was talking about water safety over the summer this year but said he was concerned about '... the lack of complacency around water'. Sadistic B!

Tone was talking about water safety over the summer this year but said he was concerned about '... the lack of complacency around water'. Sadistic B!
TJ gold.

My other half told me that someone rang up about the vic travel vouchers the other day (before the hooha). TJ said "they've all been posted haven't they?" Well no Tony, you have to apply unless you got a special one in your mail!!

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

I woke up at about 9:15 this morning and turned on 3AW and heard Tony. Fell back to sleep until 11 with my radio on. Who needs a sleeping pill?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back